The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 10-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #2761
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Finally got me one of those 5' posable Halloween skeletons.

Last year I'd wanted one to sit on top of the big, gnarly old tree trunk stump of our now deceased weeping cherry tree. (Maybe crouching in some way and holding a lantern over the side, surrounded by the fake spider web stuff. If it would work.) But they're expensive, didn't see any good sales, and my hopes of finding any on sale after Halloween were fruitless.

But found a good one today 60% off, saving $60! (At Joann Fabrics store.)

Controlled myself and didn't go buying a whole bunch of other stuff (Halloween is a serious weakness lol), but I did also bring home a nice large "Organic Venomous Spiders" jar for pretty cheap to go along with my collection of decorative Halloween apothecary bottles and whatnot.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #2762
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Ooh we must have similar taste in decorating!

Every year I buy a few items to add to my outdoor display for Halloween. This year it was one of those hanging skeletons in the tattered shroud/robes- this one with a clown face. I also bought a holographic "moving" picture frame of a creepy undead clown (and it has a button to say several scary messages too) and a "zombie cat" warning sign. A couple more rats and crows, a little yard stake sign, and a second light-up jack-o-lantern for the kitchen window came home with me too. Our patio/yard space is small but I make the most of it! I have also decided that my next addition is going to be a large skeleton web cocoon to hang up since I do a couple of really big spider webs (with bug spiders in them) every year on our bush and door.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #2763
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Nice! I used to do our front yard up real well, but that ended up stopping quite a few years ago sadly. (Mostly because Halloween died in our neighborhood. I still enjoyed it for us, but a family member or two wouldn't stop being so pessimistic about it and acting like it was pointless.) Hope to slowly get back into it though, at least to some extent.

Years ago, well before phones took over, when we did have visitors I'd have a few people taking photos of their kids in my cemetery (made of big painted cardboard tombstones) under our old pine. Felt pretty honored that it would be part of their family photos. (Those kids are probably in their young 20s now.)

As long as they were taken, for some reason, to the darn storage unit my sister and brother in law have (along with too much of my Halloween stuff I need to get back from it) and not thrown out without permission, I've even got "authentic" spooky old fence pieces I used for the cemetery. Aka pieces that used to enclose an area of the backyard once containing a fish pond, but later removed and I kept them because the more they sit and age and weather all the better for decorating!
Old 10-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #2764
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Lol! I have pics from past displays on my Deviant Art page. I've started putting up some of my stuff for this year but until the lawn care guys do their job I won't be able to finish my cemetary. I still need to finish trimming the bushes a bit before I put up the webs but most of the patio is done. I just put up my patio table display today. Little "steaming" cauldron that uses water and a color-change light to make spooky vapor. There's a skull, a life-size crow, and a hairy rat on the table, with a black velvet cloth draped over the table.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #2765
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

This made me happy.

I really like her outfit!

Last edited by Papenbrook; 10-05-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #2766
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Sounds awesome, Duckie!

The shorts, eh, (edit: also those are really right up there a bit, aren't they - ouch lol don't sit down) but agree that top is pretty cool! If there was a plus size, I esp know a sibling that would love that.

Was poking around eBay for cheap, fun stocking stuffer ideas. Look at these cat paw socks!

Spoiler:

10/6 - Since it warmed back up to 80 today (so I could use the hose outside to clean up the bucket, etc), finally got to making the fish-shaped stepping stone for where my fish was buried.

I needed a wooden paint stir stick, but those seem weirdly had to find. (Maybe at a hardware store only? But not worth going all the over there just for that... Then my luck prob still fail to find it.) The stepping stone kit I have came with one years ago, but it had broken. However... turned out that a cheap wooden spatula makes a better replacement.

Bonus happy maker...

Grabbed a cool Halloween prop weapon at Walmart today that I'd seen the other day and was kind of wishing I'd gotten since it was only $5.98.

Remember those toys, esp play kitchen stuff and toy baby bottles, that had the liquid in them that when turned upside down it would disappear? How about a katana (or maybe more accurately one of its shorter siblings) with a liquid filled blade with the same effect? Drains into the handle. Kinda sick, and yet kinda awesome.

Not sure I've ever seen an inexpensive plastic toy sword get such a nice stock photo. lol (Taken from Walmart's site.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-06-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #2767
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I had a little bit of a new idea for my Obligado fanfiction, that I think would make things a little bit easier. But then it opens up a lot more possibilities.

Instead, I'd do a story about when he was young and was pretty much "just" an archeologist - and a brand new one at that. Having not yet gone on his wildest adventures yet. With no reputation to precede him.

And this would be the adventure that jumpstarts the rest.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #2768
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Today, I ate these doughnuts.

Spoiler:

They are oh-so delicious!
Old 10-08-2017, 03:47 AM   #2769
newfan
Mad Scientist

What makes me happy everyday is the two little bright smiling faces which greet me with hugs in the mornings and other times of day.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #2770
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

I am greeted every day when I come home by two FURRY faces- usually purring. One of them woke us up this morning by bounding onto the bed and nose-bumping our faces lol!

Getting further in writing my fics and being able to clean and dust off my desk made me happy. It needed it....

Old 10-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #2771
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Finishing a Gundam OVA and coloring a comic page in Photoshop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #2772
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Just realized that there is something of a "Skeleton in the Closet" Halloween version of "Elf on the Shelf". WANT.

Spoiler:
Old 10-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #2773
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

My school library has a "no checkout necessary" section, so people can just exchange books for another.

At this point, all the books are old. And 90% harlequin romance novels. But that's not the part that amused me.

The part that amused me was a manual for setting up and operating a color television from 1964 or so.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #2774
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I found this lovely onyx gown.

Spoiler:

It's so adorable ...
Old 10-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #2775
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I spent a great afternoon today hanging out with some friends, drinking beer, eating pizza, and watching the new Star Trek.

And then as if that wasn't enough I won $5 on a scratch ticket and am having the best day of Bus-fu.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #2776
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Oh my god, it feels so nice outside...it actually feels like fall, at 58 F/14/C. I've seen that it'll pick back up to the 70's later, but then drop down again.

It better, because it feels great.

UPDATE:

I opened a window in my room to let in some of that nice air. So of course the cats love it.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 10-10-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #2777
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Brr not me. It's been bone-chilling here in my drive through window all day. The wind blows right through the window and it has teeth in it. I like it cooler but not THIS cool! 70's are fine with me. It feels nice and still kind of warm. But this chill gusty wind makes my nose run like a faucet and makes my whole body ache.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #2778
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It must be a lot colder in Ft. Worth because I don't think it's that cold. It's nice enough that I opened a window.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #2779
Vegita-San
Emperor

90 and humid makes me happy.

last nights florida humidity with 70s temps was perfect
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #2780
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

We're actually a bit further north-west of Ft. Worth, in Wise County. It's mostly rural farmland and pastures here. Doesn't hold the heat as well as more populated areas where the pavement and large buildings tend to absorb the heat and radiate it back more. And being so open means there is little to block the wind too. We have nothing but hills and occasional patches of woods here. Wind gets pretty gusty and you can't get away from it. It's tiring. We can be almost 10 degrees cooler than Ft. worth and Dallas on a given day!