The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #2881
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'm pretty sure I have Mohawk ancestry, in a great-great-great(-great?) grandmother. Whose grave was very difficult for my aunt to find. Of course, it was under an English name. I'm also pretty sure the only thing in me genetically that remains from that family ancestry is the thickness of my hair.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #2882
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Definitely commended if you guys have done one of the DNA tests or ever do. I'm kind of envious now and want to do my own eventually so I can see how that turns out! (For now I just have my mom's and an uncle's - dad's brother - to look at.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
That sounds Awesome! I love genealogy stuff. Such interesting people to find out about.

I just wish there was a better resourse for tracing my Creek ancestors. I can only go back a couple of hundred years on them and only because of reservation and Indian School records. I wanna know more than that version of those ancestors!

Then there’s my tri-racial ancestors who are half white half Creek who married runaway slaves. I have two of those direct ancestors, and they lived waaaaaaay in the hills. No paper records there either. :-/
Yeah, I know what you mean, the paper trail only goes so far which kinda sucks and even the earliest census stuff isn't really worth barely squat.

One of my most frustrating dead ends though is as recent as a great grandmother. Not sure if she really was orphaned, or if she was just given up, or what... I've found her on a census at age 15 (as a "servant" of the couple family story claims she was adopted by - I suspect now that it wasn't a official adoption but they appear to have remained close), but before then... she may as well have been dropped here by space aliens. Not a clue what her heritage was or who her real parents were. (I hope her maiden name is at least accurate.) If I could find some kind of clue via this that would be so awesome...

I haven't spotted a tool on GEDmatch specifically just for North America/the Americas that might pinpoint it better or even just a region (I wish... maybe someday?), but it does have quite a few tools for different charts, graphs and whatnot to run it through, esp in the Admixture section and is pretty fun. (Despite the name, I have found (so far) that the Eurogenes tool, esp K12 and 13, is a really good one and not limited to European genes.)

Using "Admixture Proportions by Chromosome" it will give you a chart of the 22 chromosomes it looks at and gives you the percentages of different ethnicities that make up each chromosome.

Funny thing is, my mom had been told by a second(?) cousin that there is supposedly Choctaw on that side (no idea if that's accurate), though her Ancestry.com test didn't show any, so she figured it may just not be true like many people, but it's not much so Ancestry probably ignored it while GEDmatch found it in there after all. Along with some other very interesting unsuspected ones, I had some cool stuff to show her later. But looking at both hers and my uncle's just really goes to show that the genetics of most humans is very international. I think these tools are able to look back much farther than the basic testing does which is pretty cool. (The "Archaic DNA matches" will even compare it to available ancient DNA samples from different parts of the world!)

And if you find some inserting connections among users via the matches it makes, people's emails are right there.

edit: Oh yeah, and you can upload a saved file of family trees as well which it can then also look at to find matches of both names on trees and DNA of users.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-18-2017 at 07:04 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #2883
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I stopped by my local comic shop and found a marked down omnibus of Alias (the original comic series that introduced Jessica Jones to the Marvel Universe). It's out of print and goes for at least $100 used on Amazon. I bought it for $30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #2884
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Things are getting better between Bubba and my sister-in-law's dog. Granted, that only lasted about a minute or two before Bubba decided that was too close and left. And came back once I was sitting on the couch again so I was between them.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #2885
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Happy-maker: that my library D&D game has been extended with additional sessions now being played at my home. We had our first "private" game session yesterday and it was so much fun! This has the added perk of not needing to be censored for kids, as well as more adult beverages being allowed. Because it's just not a game if the guy playing the barbarian isn't half buzzed on dawrven ale lol!

So far in their new home the party has fought off a barghest (a type of fiend resembling a cross between a goblin and a wolf) some zombies, a haunt trying to posess one of them, and found the poltergiest in the kitchen, the pirahna tank and the hidden treasure vault with the flameskull guardian- which is now following them around the house like a bored and lonely puppy....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #2886
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I love how our newest member's username is Nickemployee.
Who could doubt the authenticity of that?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #2887
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I just finished a fairly large art piece and my patreon goal have been reached again after a bunch of window-shoppers left before paying so my comic is back on track

That's some hella cute outfits
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #2888
Vegita-San
Emperor

better keep cubed away just in case.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #2889
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Happy-maker: that my library D&D game has been extended with additional sessions now being played at my home. We had our first "private" game session yesterday and it was so much fun! This has the added perk of not needing to be censored for kids, as well as more adult beverages being allowed. Because it's just not a game if the guy playing the barbarian isn't half buzzed on dawrven ale lol!

So far in their new home the party has fought off a barghest (a type of fiend resembling a cross between a goblin and a wolf) some zombies, a haunt trying to posess one of them, and found the poltergiest in the kitchen, the pirahna tank and the hidden treasure vault with the flameskull guardian- which is now following them around the house like a bored and lonely puppy....
Sounds dope! I am reading through Tomb of Annihilation now and hope to find a group to DM for in the near future. I have the Lost Mind of Phandelver starter kit that I would want to take a party through first before doing ToA

Question: do you have any experience with the Deck of Many Things?
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #2890
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
I love how our newest member's username is Nickemployee.
Who could doubt the authenticity of that?
What if that's the point, to just look really fake?? lol Be so obvious that the people won't buy it!
Old 11-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #2891
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I have

My Bard had a Wish spell in her sword and wished for the deck to appear, the Warlock got a go at it first and he basically rewrote/erased the entire campaign history and sealed all the gods off from the world except for Cthulhu who woke up.

The current campaign is working out the repercussions from that game, collecting the faint remnants of gods' avatars to be strong enough to fight old squidface. And we found out that not only are Cthulhu on the loose, but Nerull is also resurrected, killed The Raven Queen (we're using 4e pantheon) and reeks havok as another threat.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #2892
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Sounds dope! I am reading through Tomb of Annihilation now and hope to find a group to DM for in the near future. I have the Lost Mind of Phandelver starter kit that I would want to take a party through first before doing ToA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I have

My Bard had a Wish spell in her sword and wished for the deck to appear, the Warlock got a go at it first and he basically rewrote/erased the entire campaign history and sealed all the gods off from the world except for Cthulhu who woke up.

The current campaign is working out the repercussions from that game, collecting the faint remnants of gods' avatars to be strong enough to fight old squidface. And we found out that not only are Cthulhu on the loose, but Nerull is also resurrected, killed The Raven Queen (we're using 4e pantheon) and reeks havok as another threat.

Ah yes the infamous Deck of Many a

Old 11-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #2893
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I have

Ah yes the infamous Deck of Many Things. I have indeed used it a time or two. One campaign I played in had a pc draw the Death card and promptly keeled over. Another pulled the Wish and brought him back. And then someone drew the card (I forget which one it is) that makes the deck teleport elsewhere. They never found it. Just as well, they were not having very good luck with it. And then there was the campaign where I had planned to use it to send them to a dragon's lair- of the biggest and nastiest red in my world. They were lucky they never tried to use the deck....

Old 11-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #2894
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Finally the cherry blossom dish set I like at work clearanced. Just one box left and mom and I ran over there this evening and she got it for me for Christmas.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:05 PM   #2895
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Nice! Not certain yet but I MAAAY be getting the TMNT and Other Strangeness RPG book (and possibly one or more of the supplements) for Yule this year from Mr. D.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #2896
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Don't know if "happy" per se, but a little funny. (In a wtf kind of way.)

Spent much of my shift putting up the doorbuster signs for the Thanksgiving/Black Friday sales. It's almost amusing how much of retail is more about appearances and hype... (Such as a current sale with special hand written signs generated more traffic, despite the sales not really being much better than usual.)

We have some girls jeans, the cheaper ones in its brand, that are regularly just $9.99. They've been on sale for some days for only $4.99. The doorbuster price on the sign I put up today? $8.99. The hell? So any "lucky" people who didn't save five bucks in the past week can come and save $1 tomorrow on this "doorbuster"! Hmmm...

Some other things didn't even change price. Granted they were and are still 60% which is decent, but still. Other stuff did at least go down. People better like the darn bubble jackets this year. We're packed full of them, again and they're only $9 in this sale. (Regularly $60 for toddler up to $75 for plus size big kids.) Hope to see many of them gone!
Old 11-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #2897
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

After a long day of things not going according to plan, I'm finally able to put my feet up with a nice big plate of sushi and an alcoholic root beer.

I could get used to this.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:07 PM   #2898
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I had bought 3 of the 5 issues of Marvel's GOTG The Telltale Series back in October and upon reading the second issue I found a free code to get a digital copy of the comic and a free issue of another comic. I checked Issues 1 and 3 and they too had the same thing.

Issue 1 of GOTG got me Nova Issue 1
Issue 2 of GOTG got me Punisher Vs Deadpool 1
Issue 3 of GOTG got me Old Man Logan issue 19.

A nice little surprise and Kudos to Marvel for doing that.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #2899
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Short and sweet: Black Friday over.

Granted that's just the beginning for it job wise, but at least this big one is done.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #2900
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I got to see some very old family friends for the first time in a long time. They used to live in the house behind my childhood home until my younger brother was in Kindergarten.

One of them is seven hours older than me, so we literally grew up together. He now has two kids of his own and the three-month-old baby liked me very much. Teethed on my thumb for three minutes or so.

Addition:

Managed to stay home for the weekend. And finally got a chance to hold my pet snake for the first time in ages.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 11-24-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote