The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #61
drgon78
Mad Scientist

So how is this supposed to be Disney's Mulan.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #62
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Jason Scott Lee has been announced to play the other film's villain. His character is named Bori Khan, a warrior leader who is intent on avenging his father's death.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...tt-lee-1129918
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #63
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I just knew there’s gonna be some more bad news before looking into this thread...
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #64
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

There are times when I think there's more than enough room for remakes to take artistic liberties. TMNT is an example of this and the DC and Marvel multiverses. I usually won't complain to much about remakes.

This, however...is barely connected to Mulan at all except for the "Chinese lady joins the army in man drag" element.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #65
Shark_Blade
Emperor

To recap so far.

The only characters from the classic mulan that appear in the live-action film are: Mulan & the Emperor of China.

REMOVED: Li Shang, Mushu, Shan Yu (og villain), the iconic songs

ADDED: a witch, a sister, commander tung, a thief/bandit, basic music, & Mulan having superpowers.

I hope this will flop so hard, the dishonor is real.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:40 PM   #66
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post

I hope this will flop so hard, the dishonor is real.
They bring dishonor to us all.

Actually if this were supposed to just be a Mulan movie and not one of the Disney live-action remakes, I think a lot more people would be down for that. The story's been reinterpreted a lot of different ways over the millennia and I don't think what's been added here is too out there.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #67
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Here is our first official look at Liu Yifei as Mulan.

Plus, additional casting has been announced.

Quote:
Rosalind Chao (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), Cheng Pei-Pei (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) and Nelson Lee have joined the cast of Disney’s Mulan, the latest live-action remake of the studio’s animated classics. Production is now underway on the Niki Caro-directed pic with locations in New Zealand and China.
https://deadline.com/2018/08/mulan-p...ey-1202444587/
Old 08-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #68
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
They bring dishonor to us all.

Actually if this were supposed to just be a Mulan movie and not one of the Disney live-action remakes, I think a lot more people would be down for that. The story's been reinterpreted a lot of different ways over the millennia and I don't think what's been added here is too out there.
Yeah, I would agree on that, but since this is part of the "remake" chain, every update is just

I mean...why New Zealand??? Does China not have enough grand sweeping landscapes for them to work with???

And I know I tend to not be bothered by a lot of "changes" from TMNT, but there's a difference between those kinds of remakes, and something that's part of a chain of movies that has been, for the most part, either trying to recreate an entire movie, tell another perspective, be a "sequel", or try to "correct" what casual viewers complain about while missing the point of the story (I have...issues...with the complaints about Cinderella).

It also really feels like it's following the chain of "uwu Mulan is such a rebellious tomboy" people. Which is...no??? She was content to conform to what her family needed her to be, and was unhappy she couldn't live up to those expectations, so she jumped the gun (crossbow?) far beyond what she was capable of or what she was expected to do, because she felt her father's health and safety were important in that snap of a moment. It wasn't even something she fully thought through. She was someone who had spent that entire day fvcking up, ruining her chance of marriage in the only way she could honor her family in that culture, embarrassing her father in front of an entire crowd of people - and that is what her father felt dishonored by. Not the fact that she made a complete fool of herself in front of the matchmaker (though no one was aware of the cricket involved), that eventually led to her being set on fire...but the fact that she embarrassed him in front of the Emperor's councilor and military officials and entire crowd of people because she was freaked out over him being drafted, while elderly and handicapped by a previous war wound (supposedly). She had the flip of the coin to either restore her family's honor (and uplift her own self-respect) or be caught and sink even further down the path. And so she took that flip because her family was worth that chance. It wasn't because she was a tomboy itching to prove women were capable of more than being a happy homemaker and mother (WHICH SHE WAS CONTENT TO DO!), it was because she felt it was the only path for her to take!

And BOYYYY did she never, ever plan on going into full-on combat with the leader of her country's enemies and utterly annihilating him...and his entire army! Girl got a body count of thousands even if it was never her intent. And she did all of this, not dressed as the soldier she left home in, but in her freakin' dress!

I have a lot of feelings about Mulan and she deserves better than the "rebellious tomboy" visage people keep giving her. Not to say it's a bad thing for a character to be a rebellious tomboy, but Mulan is neither of those things.

Stay tuned for when I go on another rant on how Cinderella just wanted to take a break from work and abuse for a night, how Aurora was given absolutely no agency or control in her life, how Bell never took any of the Beast's sh*t, and that Ariel's actions to go on land were more based on her father treating her like a child and not respecting anything she had to say even before Eric came into the picture.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 08-13-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #69
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Judging by this image, which was shared by director Niki Caro, it appears that "Reflection" and other songs will be included in the film after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki Caro
Mulan. Day #1. Reflections.
#mulan #disney #yifei_cc

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...photo-from-set
Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #70
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
]

Yeah, I would agree on that, but since this is part of the "remake" chain, every update is just

I mean...why New Zealand??? Does China not have enough grand sweeping landscapes for them to work with???

And I know I tend to not be bothered by a lot of "changes" from TMNT, but there's a difference between those kinds of remakes, and something that's part of a chain of movies that has been, for the most part, either trying to recreate an entire movie, tell another perspective, be a "sequel", or try to "correct" what casual viewers complain about while missing the point of the story (I have...issues...with the complaints about Cinderella).

It also really feels like it's following the chain of "uwu Mulan is such a rebellious tomboy" people. Which is...no??? She was content to conform to what her family needed her to be, and was unhappy she couldn't live up to those expectations, so she jumped the gun (crossbow?) far beyond what she was capable of or what she was expected to do, because she felt her father's health and safety were important in that snap of a moment. It wasn't even something she fully thought through. She was someone who had spent that entire day fvcking up, ruining her chance of marriage in the only way she could honor her family in that culture, embarrassing her father in front of an entire crowd of people - and that is what her father felt dishonored by. Not the fact that she made a complete fool of herself in front of the matchmaker (though no one was aware of the cricket involved), that eventually led to her being set on fire...but the fact that she embarrassed him in front of the Emperor's councilor and military officials and entire crowd of people because she was freaked out over him being drafted, while elderly and handicapped by a previous war wound (supposedly). She had the flip of the coin to either restore her family's honor (and uplift her own self-respect) or be caught and sink even further down the path. And so she took that flip because her family was worth that chance. It wasn't because she was a tomboy itching to prove women were capable of more than being a happy homemaker and mother (WHICH SHE WAS CONTENT TO DO!), it was because she felt it was the only path for her to take!

And BOYYYY did she never, ever plan on going into full-on combat with the leader of her country's enemies and utterly annihilating him...and his entire army! Girl got a body count of thousands even if it was never her intent. And she did all of this, not dressed as the soldier she left home in, but in her freakin' dress!

I have a lot of feelings about Mulan and she deserves better than the "rebellious tomboy" visage people keep giving her. Not to say it's a bad thing for a character to be a rebellious tomboy, but Mulan is neither of those things.

Stay tuned for when I go on another rant on how Cinderella just wanted to take a break from work and abuse for a night, how Aurora was given absolutely no agency or control in her life, how Bell never took any of the Beast's sh*t, and that Ariel's actions to go on land were more based on her father treating her like a child and not respecting anything she had to say even before Eric came into the picture.

Where is the applause button when I need one? Agreed to this.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #71
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Yesterday, it was also announced that two fan-favorite characters from the animated film would be appearing in this movie. Jimmy Wong and Doua Moua have been cast as Ling and Po, respectively.

https://insidethemagic.net/2018/08/d...r-ling-and-po/
Old 08-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #72
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Ming-Na Wen was in the dark about whether or not she would be making a cameo in the film during an interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming-Na Wen
“We already know for sure that it’s not gonna take another 25 years for this to happen again. So, that’s kind of nice,” she said of the film.
https://deadline.com/2018/08/ming-na...an-1202446156/

Just in case, no had seen it, this was reaction to her first finding out that Liu YiFei landed the part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming-Na Wen
Congrats to #LiuYiFei ! Great choice for live action #Mulan! 👏👏👏👏#Disney
https://twitter.com/mingna/status/93...ybrkr=5a53516d

She also talks about it from 3:00 to 4:08 and 17:06 to 18:13 of this video.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #73
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Mushu will appear in the film and the music from the original movie will be in this one as well.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/245...e-action-mulan
Old 09-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #74
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Mushu will appear in the film and the music from the original movie will be in this one as well.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/245...e-action-mulan
They finally cower in to put the musics back huh?
Old 09-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #75
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The other day it was announced that another familiar character would be in the film. Chen Teng has been cast Yao.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/adrian-...ng-1202469095/
Old 09-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #76
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

I really hope this doesn't suck. I want this succeed so badly. Getting rid of Shang and the reasons behind it are soooo stupid. Mulan having magical powers really lessens her abilities of being able to succeed as a warrior through sheer determination like how she did in the film and also in the original story.

I am glad tat they are slowly adding back in elements of the animated feature but I am still kind of alarmed at how things are going, since too many changes can make the movie bloated and incoherent. Mulan deserves better than that.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #77
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Ming-Na Wen had more to say about the film, but she still can't say if she's going to have any part in this movie. My guess is that she probably will. She also really enjoyed all of the live-action adaptations of animated films that have been released.

Quote:
“Disney has done such an amazing job with the other live-action [remakes], and I love them all, like Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, and Maleficent,” Wen says. “So I’m definitely excited that they chose Mulan of all the other great Disney movies to turn into live-action. I think they’ll do a great job with it, and it’s great to keep that legacy alive.”

Regarding a potential return to the cinematic property she holds dear, Wen remains playfully elusive.

“I can’t say!” she says with a laugh when asked if she’ll have a role in the remake. “What is it that [Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. co-creator] Jed Whedon always says? It’s so funny… ‘I can neither confirm nor deny.’ So, yeah!”

Either way, Wen is glad to see that “Asians are really hot right now in Hollywood - thank goodness - because of Crazy Rich Asians.” And in the case of Mulan, she says, “It’s great to keep an incredible character and story of Chinese folklore going in any form.”
https://ew.com/movies/2018/10/15/min...ake-interview/
Old 02-27-2019, 09:14 PM   #78
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

There's a rumor that Kevin Hart is being eyed to voice Mushu.

https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/02...t-mushu-rumor/
Old 06-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #79
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Liu Yiefi has been in contact with Naomi Scott, who is playing Jasmine in the live-action Aladdin. Scott can't wait to see Yiefi's performance in this movie next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Yiefi
Goosebumps 😳 @NaomiScott @disneyaladdinLiu Yifei
https://twitter.com/yifei_cc/status/1131995846386409472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Scott
😭😭😭😭 Girl, I cannot wait for you to slay my life next year. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
https://twitter.com/NaomiScott/statu...20002948849664
Old 06-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #80
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Rumor has it that a Phoenix will be replacing Mushu as Mulan's sidekick. Also, the cast will apparently not be singing the classic songs during the film. There will only be instrumental versions of them. This could all change after test screenings and reshoots.

EXCLUSIVE: Phoenix Possibly Replacing Mushu In ‘Mulan’; Cast Will Not Sing Classic Songs

Tags
chinese government, papenbrook triggered