The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: IDW, Archie or Mirage?
IDW 38 42.70%
Archie 15 16.85%
Mirage 46 51.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2014, 07:19 AM   #21
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
In my opinion, Mirage is awesome with; The Fugitiod/utrom arc, Return to New york, City at War, the river, and the King Komodo arc from the image run. The rest is a horrid mess of magic pencils and characters being drawings, Cyborg turtles, pointless superhero knockoffs, and stories that don't really go anywhere.

I'll take IDW, thanks.
Agreed. I am seeing many nostalgic fans on this thread. From my standpoint, IDW is miles ahead of Mirage.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #22
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icegaze View Post
Agreed. I am seeing many nostalgic fans on this thread. From my standpoint, IDW is miles ahead of Mirage.
It has nothing to do with nostalgia, and I revisit the Mirage content fairly often. No rose-colored glasses here; some of it is rough.

But even the most underwhelming issues of Tales can go places IDW never could. It's not everyone's cup of tea. Mirage is a strange indie series that goes wherever its creators want it to, sometimes being tongue-in-cheek, a lot of times just being weird and somber and adult. IDW is a serialized action comic.

Like, even the goofy Dan Berger-written Tales Vol. 2 #8 starts off with this over-the-top gem from Leatherhead: "Beware! For the best-laid plans of mice and mutants often go awry! Those of us who traverse this world of sorrow know little of what the gaping maws of fate shall devour!"

No IDW issues is ever going to start with a character discussing "this world of sorrow." But it's assumed in Mirage, regardless of whatever silly cyborgs or aliens they find themselves encountering that issue (and that sort of pulp-inspired randomness is part of their universe), that it's the general state of things.

Last edited by Cipher; 08-18-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #23
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
In my opinion, Mirage is awesome with; The Fugitiod/utrom arc, Return to New york, City at War, the river, and the King Komodo arc from the image run. The rest is a horrid mess of magic pencils and characters being drawings, Cyborg turtles, pointless superhero knockoffs, and stories that don't really go anywhere.

I'll take IDW, thanks.
Leave this earth.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

IDW is best compared with the 4kids cartoon. IDW really feels like what the 4kids show would have been had Peter Laird allowed them to use 80's cartoon characters like Krang/Bebop/Rocksteady.

IDW Krang is almost exactly like Ch'rell, and everything else that happens in IDW mirrors the 4kids series in terms of tone and pacing.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #25
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:

I'll take IDW, thanks.
Everyone talks about how great and consistent Mirage is, but I will just have to read it myself to find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
IDW is best compared with the 4kids cartoon. IDW really feels like what the 4kids show would have been had Peter Laird allowed them to use 80's cartoon characters like Krang/Bebop/Rocksteady.

IDW Krang is almost exactly like Ch'rell, and everything else that happens in IDW mirrors the 4kids series in terms of tone and pacing.
Pretty good comparison. I feel like the turtles themselves are actually darker in 2k3 than Mirage. Anyone else thinks so???

Holy crap Mirage just got a shot in the arm!!!!! lol IDW was in the lead, but now Mirage is by far!!!!
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #26
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Speaking of IDW, An issue of the TMNT comic, was featured in an article on ComicVine for Best Battles in New Comics: 8/15/14, It features a battle between the Shredder and Krang
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/be...4/1100-149522/

But what caught my attention was, That there's a new character called Bludgeon, a Mutant Shark, When I saw that, I replied to a post on Twitter asking the question why they didn't use Armaggon, Which got retweeted by the Turtle Power Podcast, And this was the response.
https://twitter.com/TMNTPodcast/stat...70102798495744

Quote:
@TMNTPodcast

@thedisastrix MT @TigerClaw305: Interesting, so the Comic has a mutant name Bludgeon? Whatever happen to Armaggon? Couldnt use him?

@thedisastrix

@TMNTPodcast @TigerClaw305 Was originally written as Armaggon, but that character has a unique personality and setting that we won't use.

@thedisastrix

@TMNTPodcast @TigerClaw305 So made sense just to make it a new character. Much the same as with Alopex/Ninjara.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #27
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Speaking of IDW, An issue of the TMNT comic, was featured in an article on ComicVine for Best Battles in New Comics: 8/15/14, It features a battle between the Shredder and Krang
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/be...4/1100-149522/

But what caught my attention was, That there's a new character called Bludgeon, a Mutant Shark, When I saw that, I replied to a post on Twitter asking the question why they didn't use Armaggon, Which got retweeted by the Turtle Power Podcast, And this was the response.
https://twitter.com/TMNTPodcast/stat...70102798495744
Nice to see TMNT get some spot light in the comic community

But yeah everybody was asking in the comic forum why they named the shark bludgeon and not Armeddon or what ever his name is, was really bothering everybody, but after IDW explained why it made sense why they changed names.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #28
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

IDW has become my favorite iteration of TMNT. It's just so consistently great every month. Both the Archie and Mirage series could be really uneven. I like the "canon" bits of Mirage vol. 1 but otherwise never felt very pulled into that universe. There are times reading it when it feels all "Oh look at us, it's the 90's and we're so indy and edgy, that's why we get away with having kind of crappy art and uneven writing." TMNTA has a big place in my heart, and I love the bits with Null & the Mutanimals, the world tour arc in the #30's, the future issues, the Stump Wrestling crew, etc., but the eco-preaching can make it awkward to re-read as an adult. For just plain great storytelling every month without a bunch of ham-fisted political preaching or pointless random-quality guest issues, neither can touch the current IDW series.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #29
Leo656
The Franchise

I read Archie the most and have a sentimental attachment to it, and still haven't read a ton of IDW so I can't fully comment, but I don't love the reincarnation thing; it's alright, I just don't favor it. The book in general is pretty good, though, from what I've read. I find Mirage on the whole to be far too inconsistent for my taste, although the more recent "Tales" book was terrific, everything the "real" TMNT book should have been. As much as I dislike Vol. 4, is how much I enjoy "Tales".

So, as to which book I'd pick up first if each complete series was right in front of me, it'd probably be Archie, IDW, then Mirage. Image brings up the rear for me; some of the art was just completely wrong for a black & white comic and nearly impossible to look at, although to be fair it was more of an early problem that mostly got fixed later on.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 PM   #30
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I love conversations about this kinda thing, because it reveals a lot about why different people love TMNT— the franchise has covered a lot of ground.

I think anyone voting for IDW is secretly voting for Archie or Mirage without knowing it. Kevin still talks, as he and Peter always did, about standing on the shoulders of giants like Jack Kirby. IDW is very much standing on the shoulder of giants that have stood on the shoulders of other, larger giants. If we're doing anything right, it's mostly because someone else has done it right before us.

(But hey— we can get dark! we did start a mini-series with Fugitoid contemplating suicide! We got 32 Edge Points for that.)
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #31
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Leave this earth.

No. You have a right to your opinions, and I have mine. I read most of Mirage, and I didn't like it.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #32
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
I love conversations about this kinda thing, because it reveals a lot about why different people love TMNT— the franchise has covered a lot of ground.

I think anyone voting for IDW is secretly voting for Archie or Mirage without knowing it. Kevin still talks, as he and Peter always did, about standing on the shoulders of giants like Jack Kirby. IDW is very much standing on the shoulder of giants that have stood on the shoulders of other, larger giants. If we're doing anything right, it's mostly because someone else has done it right before us.

(But hey— we can get dark! we did start a mini-series with Fugitoid contemplating suicide! We got 32 Edge Points for that.)
Yes, I agree that all TMNT fans owe Mirage, Kevin and Peter a debt, no matter what version those fans prefer!

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:24 PM   #33
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post

I am sorry, but that just doesn't make sense
Old 08-18-2014, 11:35 PM   #34
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
No. You have a right to your opinions, and I have mine. I read most of Mirage, and I didn't like it.
I feel like that can't possibly be true if you read Tales vol. 2 in full or near it. Did you?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #35
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

I had to vote Archie because that paired with the original cartoon was what made me a turtle fan. I really enjoyed them and still need to re-read them soon after I get done reading the Mirage comics I've been getting since the TMNT 25th Anniversary.

I've been very impressed with the original Mirage books. Even more so than I thought I would. About the first twelve issues plus the five micro-series and the Tales of the TMNT (Vol. 1) have all been great. Some of the other Volume 1 issues are a bit out there with the "guest era" issues. But all of the ones that continue the main plot have been great so far. I just finished up the "Return to New York" three-parter actually. Poor Zog too!

IDW I just don't have time for really. I'm behind as it is with Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe....and soon to be Sonic Boom comics by Archie too.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #36
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I feel like that can't possibly be true if you read Tales vol. 2 in full or near it. Did you?
Seeds of Destruction, Not Forgotten, Kung fu theater, The pantheon, and The burning man were okay. Worms of madness and Darkness Weaves were werewolf/vampire monster stuff I don't care for, and stuff like Hell's blacktop, Gangs all here, Heroes in a half cell, and there's no place like home are just too out there for me.

The 'maulitia'? A giant starro knockoff? Shredder the angry shark kidnapping Casey's daughter? Two wierdoes standing on each others shoulders swinging big knives at Rapheal and Shadow Jones? The wacky adventures of Leatherhead and Dr. X? oy vey!

Look, I understand other people like it, it's just not for me. I just don't care for the endless gang war stuff, and the overall tone and art style of Mirage. It is very high quality storytelling and art, I'll agree on that- but IDW is a bit more towards my Fred Wolf/Archie tastes.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 08-19-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:52 AM   #37
discordiatookie
facehugger

Mirage wins it for me. I love both IDW and Archie (also Image), and there's been amazing stories in each of them, but my favourites come from Mirage.

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:34 AM   #38
TMNTAfan
New Recruit

It's interesting. There are Mirage comics that are just perfect but I don't know whether the entire spectrum of Mirage moves me as much.

Archie is massively underrated and filled with tremendous ideas such as Maligna, Armaggon, the Mutanimals, the Turnstone arc, the black-costumed Raphael etc. It was incredibly ambitious and creative but also consistent and coherent which the series lacked until recently. Archie is also the one I have the most nostalgic affection for.

IDW is probably the best for having a single, coherent narrative that is always compelling and takes on the characters that are thoughtful and rounded. I really love it and I think it's going from strength to strength.

I think I have to give it to Archie because it's such a rich, vibrant and beautifully-characterised universe which unfolded over a substantial amount of time. But IDW could well surpass it if it continues at this quality. And Mirage, at its best, is just perfect.
TMNTAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:02 AM   #39
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Mirage for it's weirdness and length and downer-ism for sure. But IDW is pretty neat, and could eventually be equal or greater depending on how things shake out over time, who knows.

Check box poll, picked all because they are all cool.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 AM   #40
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Knuckles View Post
I had to vote Archie because that paired with the original cartoon was what made me a turtle fan. I really enjoyed them and still need to re-read them soon after I get done reading the Mirage comics I've been getting since the TMNT 25th Anniversary.

I've been very impressed with the original Mirage books. Even more so than I thought I would. About the first twelve issues plus the five micro-series and the Tales of the TMNT (Vol. 1) have all been great. Some of the other Volume 1 issues are a bit out there with the "guest era" issues. But all of the ones that continue the main plot have been great so far. I just finished up the "Return to New York" three-parter actually. Poor Zog too!

IDW I just don't have time for really. I'm behind as it is with Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe....and soon to be Sonic Boom comics by Archie too.
You are cheating yourself my friend the IDW comics are great