The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Colin and Casey Jost To Pen New ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Movie For Paramount

This one is live action. Still produced by Platinum Dunes hacks for some reason

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Coming off an Emmy nomination for his work as a writer on Saturday Night Live, Colin Jost is continuing to build out his film slate and looks to have landed a big IP to give his own spin to. Sources tell Deadline that Jost and his brother Casey Jost have been tapped to co-write a new untitled Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film for Paramount Pictures.

Michael Bay, Andrew Form, Brad Fuller, Scott Mednick and Galen Walker are on as producers.

Like the past two installments, plot details are being kept under wraps outside of the film revolving around everyone’s favorite pizza-eating, nunchuck-swinging, life-sized turtles. Paramount relaunched the franchise with Bay’s Platinum Dunes in 2014 with a new spin different from the New Line pics from the 1990s. The film went on to gross $485 million globally with a sequel, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, bowing in 2016.

Paramount still sees the IP as a high priority at the studio especially after Nickelodeon announced it was relaunching the animated TV series with Seth Rogen exec producing for 2023.

As for Colin Jost, while he has been known as one of the key writers on Saturday Night Live since joining in 2005, this marks the first time he will be able to give his vision on a huge franchise as widely known as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He is also co-writing Worst Man for Universal, which he will also star in along with his SNL co-star Pete Davidson. He recently starred in Tom & Jerry and will be back for SNL this season. His memoir A Very Punchable Face was published in July 2020 and released in paperback last month.
https://deadline.com/2021/08/colin-a...nt-1234807732/
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
Vicky82
Emperor

Ok i'm confused, so there is a live action movie happening.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #3
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

guessing it's either a 2024 or 2025 release date.
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
Galactus
Foot Elite

Didn't recognise the name so I had to look them up. One is married to Scarlett Johanssen (cool) and writes for SNL and some low level acting. The other writes for Impractical Jokers.

The fact that they are tapping comedy writers for a live action TMNT film is troubling. I know we're not going to get a dark styled Mirage inspired movie but is it too much to ask that this not be treated as a complete joke. The whole 'they're talking turtles who do kung fu you should lean into to the stupid' is exactly the kind of ******** that killed the last movie series.

Also nothing against them personally but other than one of them possibly convincing his wife to have a role in the movie I don't see them as even big comedy writers. Considering that TMNT is still supposedly a priority for Paramount (I'm guessing that's a vast exaggeration) you'd think they'd get bigger names. Seth Rogen doesn't strike me as the right choice to helm the franchise either but at least he's relatively big deal.

Then again I doubt anything is concrete. I have a little niggling doubt that another live action feature is going to happen soon and if eventually does I'm sure it will cycle through a few writers before the ball gets rolling on it.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:39 PM   #5
Sumac
Banned

Wait, wasn't there ANOTHER TMNT live-action movie coming out soon?
Or this one was also "all plans" and nothing else and not its canceled and this one takes over?

At least, SacrJo would make a better April than Megan Fox, I guess.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

There's so many TMNT movie projects coming I honestly forget what's happening.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Wait, wasn't there ANOTHER TMNT live-action movie coming out soon?
Or this one was also "all plans" and nothing else and not its canceled and this one takes over?

At least, SacrJo would make a better April than Megan Fox, I guess.
As far as I know just the Rogen CGI one and the Rise Netflix animated one. Now this. Though Platinum Dunes making another reboot was headlines like 2 years ago. Also, this thread is in the wrong subforum.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #8
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Wake me when Viacom sells the IP.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:29 PM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Uhhh huh... so that once momentarily mentioned second PD reboot that went quiet really fast was just waiting on the back burner. Even despite almost general consensus that it got axed, I had a feeling that the plague had simply put that thought aside. Surprised it might kind of happen near simultaneously with the animated one though.

Emmy nomination? Well, at least that theoretically sounds good. Same damn other people, but... guess we'll see. I'm not big on animation for theater, I prefer to keep it to the small screen and have live action for theater so... I can't say I'm sad that once again we "might" have another one to discuss. Esp if that animated one ends up being full of poor choices itself...

Though I guess it sounds like that Andrew Dodge/Lindsey Beer script may have been axed? Would at least be interesting to see it.

Deadline seems a little confused about the Seth Rogen project though...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #10
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I just saw this on Yahoo! is this the same one as the Seth Rogen helmed film? It mentions that Seth Rogen is overseeing an animated series. Was it changed to a series instead of a film? Either I missed information at some point or the article has some wrong information.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 08-02-2021 at 05:11 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Seems like they definitely want to go "funny" for this one. Not a good sign.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #12
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Micheal Bay as producer

**** Off
Old 08-02-2021, 05:19 PM   #13
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Don’t worry everyone, I’m bombarding Jost with my script.

Maybe one day we’ll get a gritty film. Hope they do it justice.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #14
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

Good lord. Someone throw Bat in the Sun a ton of money. Or hey, Andrew, those fellows that did the Highlander fan project, they got anything going on? Because at this rate, I'm betting that the only way we get something of substance, is if it's from outside the box.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:14 PM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Sweet Jesus this is a lot to take in.

So there is another live-action movie being made, Michael Bay is involved but it is not a sequel to the PD movies (maybe). The animated produced by Seth Rogen is appearently a TV show now instead, or maybe the reporter is just confused? Meanwhile we still have that movie tied into the last show that has been made but not yet released.

Also, are they making a sequel to the Batman crossover movie or not?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #16
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

So there is another live-action movie being made, Michael Bay is involved but it is not a sequel to the PD movies (maybe). The animated produced by Seth Rogen is appearently a TV show now instead, or maybe the reporter is just confused? Meanwhile we still have that movie tied into the last show that has been made but not yet released.

Also, are they making a sequel to the Batman crossover movie or not?
Yeah that was an error from Deadline. Rogen's project is still a movie.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:29 PM   #17
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

I think them saying that the Seth Rogen project is a TV show is a error on their part. I'm almost certain he's making an animated theatrical movie.

We've known for a while a live action movie is in the works that will be unconnected to the previous two despite still being made by Platinum Dunes. There hasn't been much news on so a lot of people thought (or hoped) it had been cancelled. I suspect development of it has been slow moving and will still be.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

God I hope there are no Turtle nostrils.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #19
Roseangelo
Emperor

I am very amused that I haven't seen a single person be excited for this.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:18 PM   #20
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I am very amused that I haven't seen a single person be excited for this.
I really want to be positive. I really do. I just wish someone would do them justice.
Maybe they will? I just can't get my hopes up. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than spot on and hate the mess.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote