The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-03-2017, 03:14 AM   #641
CyberCubed
Overlord

Andrew Garfield's long skinny neck always looked odd to me.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #642
Shark_Blade
Emperor

He's a supermodel material, so that kind of ethereal element is a plus. Same as Emma Stone.

Tobey's face makes me laugh especially when he's crying in sad scenes. I can't take him seriously.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #643
CyberCubed
Overlord

Tobey was the people's Spiderman.

I loved Andrew Garfield in Hacksaw Ridge, an excellent World War II movie. If you haven't seen it watch it now, he's amazing in it. Andrew Garfield plays a real life soldier who saved nearly 70 lives in the trenches of World War II by acting as a medic and bringing them to safety without firing a gun.

The movie just came out last year in 2016 and it's already a modern classic.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #644
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Tobey was the people's Spiderman.
What is that even mean? Andrew Garfield is the people's Spiderman, Ben Affleck is the people's Batman? What.

Quote:
I loved Andrew Garfield in Hacksaw Ridge, an excellent World War II movie. If you haven't seen it watch it now, he's amazing in it. Andrew Garfield plays a real life soldier who saved nearly 70 lives in the trenches of World War II by acting as a medic and bringing them to safety without firing a gun.

The movie just came out last year in 2016 and it's already a modern classic.
Good. But what is even Tobey's memorable role? Compare how much awards Andrew Garfield won over him? Those were the people's choice and Andrew is so much better.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #645
snake
Disgusting

Andrew was f*cking terrible. How do you always manage to have the single worst possible taste in any subject?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #646
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I thought Andrew Garfield was way better than Tobey Maguire, but whatevs.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #647
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Like I said, did Andrew won awards more than Tobey? Yes he did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Andrew was f*cking terrible. How do you always manage to have the single worst possible taste in any subject?
Your taste is ****, go buy a new one. Bye Felicia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I thought Andrew Garfield was way better than Tobey Maguire, but whatevs.
Ditto.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #648
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Andrew and Tobey both sucked. End of discussion!
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #649
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Andrew and Tobey both sucked. End of discussion!
What's your take on Holland? How does he compare?

He's a good kid, I admire his agility.

He took Kirsten Dunst's criticism of the new movie rather well/professionally.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.games...riticism-nope/

Quote:
Spider-Man trilogy star Kirsten Dunst doesn't care about Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Homecoming star Tom Holland doesn't care that she doesn't care. Holland addressed Dunst's dismissive attitude toward the film in an interview with Movie'n'co UK, but before we get to what Holland thinks, here's a refresher on what Dunst originally said about Homecoming.

"We made the best ones, so who cares?" Dunst told Marie Claire. "I'm like, 'You make it all you want.' They’re just milking that cow for money. It's so obvious. You know what I mean?"

To be fair to Dunst, I don't think she was specifically calling out Holland or the rest of the cast, probably just the execs at Sony and Marvel/Disney who made the whole thing happen. And since publicly traded corporations do, in fact, exist above all else to generate profit for their shareholders I doubt they take offense. But here's the response from Holland.

"I read it and I saw it, and you know, she's entitled to her own opinion and I'm not one to judge at all," Holland began. "I definitely am not doing this movie for the money, it's a job that I think anyone would do regardless of what you were getting paid, you know? All I know is that I've had the greatest time on this movie and I've absolutely loved it, and if she doesn't want to go and see it, I don't really care. But I don't dislike her in any way for what she said, and she's entitled to her own opinion, so it's all cool."
Old 08-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #650
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

I'm just going to point this out: neither was perfect, but I'd take Tobey a little more.

Tobey had a dry tone. At the same time, barring my nostalgia glasses, I did like elements of his character. He could be emotional but also badass. Additionally, he had some fun dialogue, especially against Macho Ma.... I mean, Bonesaw. Also, if you like a Peter Parker who's funny, he does a good job with one liners in the video game adaptations.

Andrew is entertaining and has the better onscreen chemistry due to him and Emma Stone. Otherwise, I never understood the hype around him. Just not my cup of tea per say.

Personally, the animated voices beat the onscreen actors, a personal favorite being Rino Romano. Still have to catch Homecoming before I comment on Holland.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #651
CyberCubed
Overlord

LOL, Dunst is an idiot. Did she seriously think they were never going to make another Spiderman movie? Does she even know Spiderman has been going on for over 50 years in general in comics or cartoon?

What kind of moron sits there thinking their version of a comic book franchise would be the last one?
Old 08-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #652
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Holland missed the point of her criticism by a large margin. She wasn't disparaging his paycheck.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:06 PM   #653
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

How Spider-Man: Homecoming Should Have Ended:

ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #654
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
I'm just going to point this out: neither was perfect, but I'd take Tobey a little more...

Personally, the animated voices beat the onscreen actors, a personal favorite being Rino Romano. Still have to catch Homecoming before I comment on Holland.
I like Rino Romano and Josh Keaton the best, followed closely by Christopher Daniel Barnes.

As for the films, my thought has always been:

Maguire = Ditko's Spider-Man; quiet, brooding, and cerebral

Garfield = Romita's "handsome" Spider-Man, with more focus on Peter's life out of the suit and romance

I may not ever watch Homecoming, but I get the impression that Holland is basically playing a live action Ultimate/Earth-1610 Peter Parker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #655
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I like Rino Romano and Josh Keaton the best, followed closely by Christopher Daniel Barnes.

As for the films, my thought has always been:

Maguire = Ditko's Spider-Man; quiet, brooding, and cerebral

Garfield = Romita's "handsome" Spider-Man, with more focus on Peter's life out of the suit and romance

I may not ever watch Homecoming, but I get the impression that Holland is basically playing a live action Ultimate/Earth-1610 Peter Parker.
Uh, I disagree. I grew up reading the Ultimate comics. And Peter isn't really like Tom Holland's version at all. He's way less idealistic, didn't really care about the Avengers/Ultimates & was way more angsty & burdened by being Spider-Man (which is something Homecoming lacked). Ultimate Spider-Man was very teen drama-based:
Spoiler:

Holland seems to be playing a version of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. Which had Peter as a gullible, idealistic kid who was always up-beat:

Suffice to say, I didn't care for that version of Spider-Man & I don't care for Holland's take either.

Last edited by Leolead; 10-29-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Leolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #656
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Andrew was a better Spidey than Toby was, but Toby was a better Parker.
Holland is the best at both simultaneously.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:15 PM   #657
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Agreed. I'm eager to see Holland grow with the role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #658
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

All the actors were good in their respective films because each version of the films had different beats they wanted to hit. The Raimi (and also best) films were very focused on capturing those seminal early Ditko years where the struggle of Peter Parker to ever make it anywhere in life is the focus, as well as the fractured identity Peter began falling into. Parker is meek and so Spidey is less boisterous as a result. Overall the compromise between the two personas is well-done, especially since that's what the films are primarily about.

Amazing Spider-Man was more focused on web-slinging, and the focus there was to make a more charismatic Spidey... and so as a result I think Peter became a bit louder and more forward than he normally is. There's definitely a smart-aleck Spidey vibe going on there, even when he's talking with Aunt May and Uncle Ben. There still was an element of "Spider-Man prevents me from having the good life" there though, after abandoning Gwen at the end of the first and losing her forever in the second, and they toyed with the duality aspect with Harry in ASM2.

And then there's Homecoming. Holland's Parker is as superficial as it gets. He just seemed to lack integrity in general. Additionally he's arrogant, flippant about his abilities, a little self-aggrandizing even. He is the dullest, most stereotypical character you would need for a cookie-cutter "coming of age" sidekick story (which is what that movie is), and then he magically matures by the end of the film. He is clearly being designed to be the de facto Iron Man successor for when RDJ retires, so maybe that's where the general negligence of the character comes from. Not to say that Holland is a bad actor or a poor choice in the role; he did what he was told to very well. And hey, it's nice having a young Spidey who actually looks high school age.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #659
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
How so? Holland is the same in suit as he is out of suit. Whiny, manic & always seeming overwhelmed by every situation. He was not a good balance of both.

Garfield out of costume was a shy, brooding loner and in costume he was sassy, loud & energetic. The opposite of Parker.

Garfield was also in my opinion, a much more realistic portrayal of what a teenager is actually like in this day and age. As a teen myself, I can completely relate to that Aunt May vs. Peter scene in the first movie or that Hallway scene when Uncle Ben encourages Peter to talk to Gwen or that scene where he's listening to Ben's voicemail.

Holland is too up-beat, naive, happy-go-lucky & idealistic. I've very rarely seen people like him. Idk, he seems really fake like Tom is trying too hard to make him act like a kid. Peter acts (and ironically looks) like my 10 year-old brother with ADHD.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #660
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

I'll throw my 2 cents in here..... I guess

I always preferred Andrew Garfield spider-man over Maguire and Holland.

The reason I say Garfield is bc he acted much more like Spiderman. Specifically his sarcasm and insults against the bad guys. He felt and acted much more like Spider-man. Andrew Garfield also got to show a little more of his smarts with the web shooters and in the electro fight ect.. (While Holland and Maguire didn't due to writing though)

I also didn't like how timid Maguire seemed to be.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cubedagesquickly, cuck_blade, homecucking, iron man 7, spider-cuck, spider-man