The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #361
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What happens if the current comics, or possible new movies, wind up contradicting stuff in the cartoon?
What happens if they don't?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #362
sdp
-

Quote:
What happens if the current comics, or possible new movies, wind up contradicting stuff in the cartoon?
Fans are going to tell you that there is a group of people in charge of continuity now a "story group" to avoid this from happening which means nothing because the original Star Wars EU also had a story group that was in charge of that very same thing and it was made after the Thrawn trilogy revived interest in the franchise in the early 90s and they wanted to make things fit so it's really nothing new, I remember reading about this in Star Wars books inserts. The only difference is Lucas always said movies were always going to get priority and movies were "more canon" than the other media while Disney said everything would be the same level of canon from now on.

Of course they'll try to keep contradictions to a minimum and explain any mistakes in continuity but so did the original EU as I mentioned but contradictions are bound to happen when you have annual movies and not only that but Lucasfilm machine only took a small break between the old EU and the new one and it's not slowing down, they're making as many comics/books/other media as they've had in the past so they're not slowing down those releases at all with different authors working on a lot of projects so contradictions will arise.

I personally think the new EU started as a mess by making the Clone Wars CG cartoon canon in the new universe as that is filled with tons of things that don't really match the mood of the movies. is it cool action? Sure but at what cost, reviving Darth Maul? A story so comic booky the old EU didn't count a comic book where that happened canon. The new Rebels show is doing exactly the same, you now have a bunch of dark force users who hunt Jedi and 2 Jedi in a show that takes place 5 years before A New Hope when it began so it's probably closer to ANH by the third season. Don't get me wrong I had fun watching it but to say it doesn't taint the movies like the old EU and that it's now "one vision" of the franchise is all marketing and a lie.

Hell I can already think of a somewhat major contradiction as the black guy from Rogue One looks nothing like he does on Rebels and they're 5 years apart max, but I guess people in the Star Wars universe just age really badly as we've seen with Obi Wan.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #363
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

This week's episode was great. Trials of the Darksaber was my favorite episode of the season by far and probably my 2nd favorite overall behind Twilight of the Apprentice.

Sucks that we have a 4 week break but I bet we get the rest of the season uninterrupted after its back.

Even though it was really quick, I loved the backstory of Tar Vizsla and the creation of the Darksaber. Also liked Kanan casually dropping that Jedi-Mandalore War line. I believe that was the first mention of it in the new canon. That should get the Darth Revan fans screaming that he's canon now.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #364
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Yeah, as a KOTOR fan I loved the reference to the Mandalorian wars. Would be awesome if a future anthology movie took place in that time period.

The episode itself was definitely one of the best. The music was so on point.
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #365
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Yeah, as a KOTOR fan I loved the reference to the Mandalorian wars. Would be awesome if a future anthology movie took place in that time period.

The episode itself was definitely one of the best. The music was so on point.
I'm hoping the next trilogy of films after IX is set during the Old Republic. Then they can jump back to X-XII after a few years away if they chose to.

Agree on the music. The final piece (linked) was great.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...bine+Suite.mp3
Old 01-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #366
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Thanks for the link! Been hoping I'd find it online after the episode came out.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #367
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Spoiler:
Nice to see they brought back Tom Kane as Yularen from Clone Wars. Shame he's with the Empire though.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #368
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Season 4 has been confirmed for the Fall: http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wa...mc%7C824931892

Old 03-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #369
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Quote:
Season 4 has been confirmed for the Fall: http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wa...mc%7C824931892
Very cool news. I need to catch up with s3 first. The last one I watched was the Ghosts of Geonosis two parter.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #370
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Old 03-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #371
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Pretty much all that I've been interested in seeing this season. I've found the third season to be very boring.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #372
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Im never interested in the animated series, but that darth maul vs obi wan promo got me moist and lustful.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #373
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Twin Suns - spoiled because it hasn't aired on TV yet

Spoiler:
Really disappointed with the episode. Such lazy writing to get Kenobi on this show. So many issues with Kenobi and Ezra meeting. Maybe they'll address this in a later episode.

The final moment between Kenobi and Maul was great.

It's also weird that Maul finally died with that blow considering he survived being sliced in half

Last edited by NinjaPug; 03-18-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #374
Dust
Foot Soldier

Only watched a couple parts, including the Maul vs Kenobi fight.

Spoiler:
It's good if quite short. Kinda Kurosawa like.
Speaking of samurai related things, I'm imaging what a series about Obi-Wan on Tatooine through the years would look like if done like Samurai Jack. I think it could work.
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #375
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's a real shame they're doing these plots in the cartoons instead of the movies. Because of this we'll never get a live-action version of this, unless they do an adaption of episodes but that's probably unlikely.

In a way these cartoons are both a blessing and a curse. It's good we're getting quality Star Wars stories told, but at the same time I would have much rathered some of these stories told in the movies with real actors. Instead we get crap like, "Young Han Solo" in the movies instead.

This would have been perfect for a live action Obi-wan movie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #376
Chris
Mad Scientist

Not really. Maul got revived in Clone Wars so chances are he was always going to die in a cartoon (whether it was CW, Rebels or whatever's next). Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have seen Ewan McGreggor & Ray Park in a live action movie for this, but the last time movie audiences saw Maul he was being cut in half in Episode I. Making it a movie is basically taking the last chapter of a story arc and making it in a different format. It would be very hard to make it satisfying for both fans who've watched everything & fans who only watch the films. Not saying it couldn't be done but why bother when they can just complete Maul's arc in animation & do a different story for a stand alone Kenobi movie that has less baggage.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #377
ABrown
Banned

I really enjoyed "Twin Suns". But I'm sorry, this should've been stretched out into a two part episode. I found Maul's story arc FAR more interesting than Thrawn's thus far.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #378
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
I'm hoping the next trilogy of films after IX is set during the Old Republic. Then they can jump back to X-XII after a few years away if they chose to.
Yeah, they will probably take a little break after IX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Not really. Maul got revived in Clone Wars so chances are he was always going to die in a cartoon (whether it was CW, Rebels or whatever's next). Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have seen Ewan McGreggor & Ray Park in a live action movie for this, but the last time movie audiences saw Maul he was being cut in half in Episode I. Making it a movie is basically taking the last chapter of a story arc and making it in a different format. It would be very hard to make it satisfying for both fans who've watched everything & fans who only watch the films.
Seems pretty easy to me.

Obi-Wan: "You're supposed to be dead! I cut you in half!"

Maul: "I got robotic legs."

Obi-Wan: "Oh."

And then the duel begins. That's all the information audiences need.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #379
Chris
Mad Scientist

Lol, maybe not quite that simple but a good writer could definitely make it work. I just don't see what the point would have been, taking an existing/ongoing story arc from the animated shows and making its finale into a live action movie where the majority of the audience won't know (and to be honest most likely won't care) about what's happened before. Better to finish it where it began and tell a fresh story for the Kenobi movie.

But then I'd have preferred Maul to have died in the Clone Wars rather than come back in Rebels.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #380
sdp
-

Ironic how Old Ben in Tatooine vs Darth Maul with robotic legs was actually done already in comic form shortly after Episode I. The story was considered so "out there" and not "logical" that they decided the story to be "Infinities" or non-canon. It's one of the few non-canon stories that the Expande Universe had and here barely a few years into the new EU and this story was done again but this time it is hard canon.

Quote:
It's a real shame they're doing these plots in the cartoons instead of the movies. Because of this we'll never get a live-action version of this, unless they do an adaption of episodes but that's probably unlikely.
The worst part is they're doing plots no one wants as movies like the death star plans or young han-solo. I think those actually work better as episodes of a show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, they will probably take a little break after IX.
You think?
I'm not so sure the whole "a new SWs in December" is a tradition they're not going to want to give up and the only thing going for that theory is that they haven't announced anything post-episode IX. I don't think we'll see Episode X for a while and even then we might get Episode X just two years after IX regardless I do think they'll continue with spin-offs . There's already a few rumored and any of those would come out after IX, I'm guessing they're just holding on, on announcing them for a bit.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote