The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 04-11-2024, 03:13 PM   #21
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I doubt this will ever come out. What happened to the other live-action movie they were making? Was that canceled?

I remember we were getting both Mutant Mayhem and another live-action reboot, I guess the latter is done.
People underestimate how big of a success the book is. Top selling graphic novel iof 2023. They sell it in Target stores. It’s wild.

Nick finally realizes what they have on their hands. Mutant Mayhem also underwhelmed at the box office, which may be a factor.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:39 PM   #22
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I'm surprise that Nickelodeon are allowing it, Since they own the IP, Which means they won't be able to promote it due to it not being for kids.

I know a lot of people wanted this, But its such a huge gamble, Kids 13 and under won't be able to see it unless there are 17, But the parents will more then likely take the kids to see it, But it could potentially be too violent for children given the stigma of TMNT being a kids property.

I'm curious on how are they going to market this movie.
**** them kids. It's about time we adult fans get something catered to us
Old 04-11-2024, 03:43 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I doubt this will ever come out. What happened to the other live-action movie they were making?
The Platinum Dunes live-action reboot? They were never actually making it. They were probably campaigning to do it but eventually Nickelodeon decided against it. We know that Seth Rogen only pitched Mutant Mayhem when Nickelodeon ASKED him to do so, so by that point they'd already given up on whatever Platinum Dunes wanted to burn money doing.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:47 PM   #24
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
**** them kids. It's about time we adult fans get something catered to us
I'm an adult fan, and wish the movies were more like the IDW comics.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:08 PM   #25
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

I have reason to believe this is in fact based on the 1990 movie.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:18 PM   #26
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I wonder how closely will the movie follow the books, Because of how it ends with the next generation of turtles, If say this movie is a success, Could they do a sequel focusing on the new turtles?
Old 04-11-2024, 04:24 PM   #27
frank_one
Mad Scientist

A sequel to the 1990 movie would be cool but I don't know how it could work as a Last ronin movie. You guys keep forgetting the 1990 movie, while vaguely based on a bunch of Mirage books, it still was a movie for kids, with lots of nonsense and jokes.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:31 PM   #28
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

If people blindly take their kid to see this without seeing a trailer first, that is their own fault.

Annoys me that people might be against it because the kids can't see it. So? Not everything has to be for the kids all the time. I understand that those who are parents might dislike a missed opportunity of a movie experience with the kids if they can't take them to this one... but the kids will grow up and they'll still be able to see it at a later date.

Shame that this one is already stirring up drama online and already divides forming between those that don't want anything but the kid stuff, those that do, and those that do but are disappointed that of course Leo, Donnie, and Raph will be dead for most of it...

Me being the latter camp and already had someone trying to argue it and insist that the others ARE in it, based on very brief appearances of them alive as if that's even enough to count. Right. I wait years for a movie or something outside of comics aimed at older fans and I'll get to see Leo comment about pizza then die. I enjoyed the Ronin story, not putting it down, but it's been a long wait for a film of this nature only to have most of the guys spend 90% of it dead. Tuning 45 this month, I don't really want to wait until I'm 80 for the good stuff to happen and then be kaput myself.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 04-11-2024 at 04:40 PM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:11 PM   #29
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

I still have trepidations about this movie and the whole "Last Ronin" saga in general. My fear for this has always been that they will ultimately take the wrong lesson from this; namely, that gritty TMNT is fine, but only if it's connected to the Last Ronin. And that now, we might get more gritty stuff, but set only in this elseworlds that isn't the "real" TMNT. And that in other parts of the franchise, we'll never get any sort of seriousness again, because "Why does everything need to be serious, you've already got The Last Ronin, let this one be for the kids." And the fact that we're getting this movie so soon after the comic, despite decades of other stuff to pull from, seems to confirm my worries.

I'll still watch it, because it might be good. But even if it is good, I'm worried this is our "bone" and that the higher ups will decide to consign all future grit to the Last Ronin and nowhere else.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:16 PM   #30
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

If this is the only adult-aimed tmnt product we ever get again, it’s still a win.

Nickelodeon owns tmnt. If anyone here predicted this a week ago, most prominent members would be laughing at you. And did.

I think worrying about whether we only get r-rated stuff when it comes to TLR is getting carried away, personally.

And yeah there are now some slight indicators that this could be based on the 1990 continuity.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:23 PM   #31
Galactus
Foot Elite

Pleasantly surprised by this.

After the last movie I didn't think Paramount would green light a TMNT project that required a significant budget and putting aside there is going to be at least some cgi involved to bring Last Ronin-Mike to life there will be a lot involved in creating the Blade Runner-esque NYC. I'm also surprised that they chose this as it really doesn't have much franchise potential. Adapting the prequel could work but I don't think the sequel with the next generation is going to have much appeal.

I would have preferred an actual TMNT reboot movie. Basically the same plot as the 1990 movie but more serious, maybe include Baxter and the Mousers, have Leo being the one with the rooftop battle with the Foot...but I think after Out of the Shadows tanked the brand the franchise probably needed some drastic to grab attention and adapting the "darkest" modern turtle story with the last surviving turtle is on a suicide mission to avenge his brothers certainly qualifies as that. I do share a lot of the concerns voiced here about whether Nickledeon will separate the all adult TMNT projects to a Ronin-verse. I still think long term we need a proper Mirage inspired TMNT movie but I am glad we are getting something more serious. I'm certainly not going to look this a gift horse in the mouth.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:25 PM   #32
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Yeahhhhh. This might get pitched, but no way is it gonna happen. Not as a stand-alone thing, anyway. How are you, as an exec, going to explain to general audiences that “this is a dark TMNT movie and, oh yeah, three of them are dead” and expect that to go over well financially?

If anything, this at least shows a willingness on Paramount’s part to take TMNT out of kiddie-coaster territory outside of the comics for once. With any luck, this line of thinking could result in a solid R-rated TMNT, but we’ll see.
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:30 PM   #33
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgain View Post
If this is the only adult-aimed tmnt product we ever get again, it’s still a win.

Nickelodeon owns tmnt. If anyone here predicted this a week ago, most prominent members would be laughing at you. And did.

I think worrying about whether we only get r-rated stuff when it comes to TLR is getting carried away, personally.

And yeah there are now some slight indicators that this could be based on the 1990 continuity.
I'm willing to bet that it won't have the Nickelodeon branding to not associate with it, Since its the first time the movie is based off an IDW comic, Though not the IDW comics I wanted, But still, The fact the movie is an adaption of anything from IDW is kind of a win.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:35 PM   #34
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
Yeahhhhh. This might get pitched, but no way is it gonna happen. Not as a stand-alone thing, anyway. How are you, as an exec, going to explain to general audiences that “this is a dark TMNT movie and, oh yeah, three of them are dead” and expect that to go over well financially?

If anything, this at least shows a willingness on Paramount’s part to take TMNT out of kiddie-coaster territory outside of the comics for once. With any luck, this line of thinking could result in a solid R-rated TMNT, but we’ll see.
Yeah it seems like a otugh sell on its own devoid of context but The Last Ronin has been more positively received than anything TMNT-related has been for a long time and if social media is any indicator this announcement of it being "in the works" has more buzz than Mutant Mayhem on its best day. Paramount would be stupid not to take that on board...but yeah if instead they say "let's just make a regular TMNT movie but darker" that would be good.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:13 PM   #35
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I'm willing to bet that it won't have the Nickelodeon branding to not associate with it
Yeah, no way. Even if their logo is quietly there somewhere like it was with Batman/TMNT, I imagine it would probably be hands off on their part and entirely promoted as Paramount.

Come to think of it... do we know if this is intended for theaters or might this be made exclusively for Paramount+?

And technically, I suppose they could take Ronin and decide to do a loose adaption where it still centered on Mikey, he THINKS everyone else is gone, but in the end they are rescued and together again, alive rather than in the after life, and use it as a launching point for a series with older Turtles.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 04-11-2024 at 06:20 PM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:43 PM   #36
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

I just don't see this happening. Would love to be wrong, but with the game now being in developmental hell ... I just feel like it's more of a cool idea than something that moves forward. Truthfully, I also don’t have faith in Paramount/Viacom to not want to mess with it somehow.

That said ... if this moves forward - I hope they find a way to incorporate Henson suits. Everyone's suggestions on turning this into a true follow-up to 1990 is incredible and I need it to be hooked into my veins.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:47 PM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
A sequel to the 1990 movie would be cool but I don't know how it could work as a Last ronin movie. You guys keep forgetting the 1990 movie, while vaguely based on a bunch of Mirage books, it still was a movie for kids, with lots of nonsense and jokes.
Oh no, I've never forgotten that. With Darth Shredder and his home for troubled children.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:10 PM   #38
Roseangelo
Emperor

I wonder what the suits who thought this was a good idea are thinking of the luke-warm response to the news. I'm sure they expecting everyone to be crapping themselves with excitement.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:23 PM   #39
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, no way. Even if their logo is quietly there somewhere like it was with Batman/TMNT, I imagine it would probably be hands off on their part and entirely promoted as Paramount.

Come to think of it... do we know if this is intended for theaters or might this be made exclusively for Paramount+?

And technically, I suppose they could take Ronin and decide to do a loose adaption where it still centered on Mikey, he THINKS everyone else is gone, but in the end they are rescued and together again, alive rather than in the after life, and use it as a launching point for a series with older Turtles.
I wonder if the movie will end like in the comics, when we are introduced to a new generation of Turtles.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:28 PM   #40
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I wonder what the suits who thought this was a good idea are thinking of the luke-warm response to the news. I'm sure they expecting everyone to be crapping themselves with excitement.
Maybe it's observation bias but I'm seeing a fair bit of excitement online. Certainly more so than anything else TMNT-related has had in a long time.