The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #1601
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The main irritation for me is hooking us on various things that we are made to look forward to and Luke tossing his first lightsaber as symbolism of what Kathleen Kennedy thinks of the fans.
Rian Johnson came up with that idea, and I didn't see anything wrong with that. Having Luke gasp looking at his lightsaber and then start moaning about how much it meant to him would have been cliche and boring. Just like the people who wanted Rey to be Obi-wan's daughter or Luke's granddaughter or whatever.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #1602
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I had no problem with the lightsaber thing, beyond it voiding the "unspoken conversation" they had in silence at the end of 7 for like 3 minutes. I laughed (though I was the only person in the theater who did).

We already have Kylo around to represent "the new generation of Skywalker" (which to me is important in the numbered movies... the side movies and spinoff stuff can do whatever, but what are the main movies if not the "Skywalker saga"? take that away, what separates it from the spinoff stuff?) so I don't super care if Rey was Luke's daughter or not (though I kind of wanted her to be). What I needed them to do is reveal her parentage or otherwise origins to explain how she was able to be as skilled as she was "out of the box" in 7. "They're just random people" would have been fine if Rey wasn't unnaturally Force skilled with no training in 7, but she was. As is, "they're just random people" is neither clever nor... anything, really.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-21-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #1603
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:

The main irritation for me is hooking us on various things that we are made to look forward to and Luke tossing his first lightsaber as symbolism of what Kathleen Kennedy thinks of the fans.
Some fans.
I really liked that part.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #1604
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:

If I were in his position, I'd probably get a PTSD-like flashback to getting my hand chopped off...but he seemed to be mostly over it and the Vader reveal by the next film.

I guess Luke's arc in TLJ works much better if you mostly ignore ROTJ. One of my friends from school only sees ANH and TESB as having real filmic merit (though he still borrowed my blu-rays of ROTJ and the prequels to watch before TFA came out) and he loved TLJ.

He's a film major in his mid-20s but kind of set in his ways when it comes to admiring older movies. He's never seen Ghostbusters II and the latest version of Blade Runner he's watched is the '91 director's cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #1605
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Whether we vote with our wallets now or in the future, though... as much as I wish Kathleen Kennedy would say, "Hahaha... that was just a dry run, folks... the ACTUAL movies are still coming," episode VII and VIII are never going to go away. They're always going to be there.

And that's unfortunate.
yep. but, at least the 'keyboard warriors' will send a very clear message that this is not what we want. hopefully they will learn a very expensive lesson.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #1606
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
yep. but, at least the 'keyboard warriors' will send a very clear message that this is not what we want. hopefully they will learn a very expensive lesson.
To be fair, they are listening. Everyone complained -- rightly so -- that 7 was a scene-for-scene company mandated remake. So with 8 they did the opposite... they just gave it to "some guy" who had done like 1 movie and let him do whatever. Unfortunately, the entire lack of oversight on 8 ended up hurting it almost as much as the "too much oversight" did on 7.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #1607
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Disappointed fans should just go though the stages of grief with this franchise.

They don't owe us a certain kind of story any more than we owe them ticket sales. Lucasfilm/Disney are a corporate entity, run by individual creatives. That staff roster could change at any time. I personally don't like Dan Slott's soon-to-end run on the Spider-Man comics, but that hasn't made me hate the character. And after he leaves, I may end up buying the comics again.

Episodes I-VI are still a complete story, as are IV-VI or IV-V if you have a hateboner for Ewoks. It doesn't matter what version you watch, either. Clone Wars and Rebels are great, but you can take them or leave them. I personally prefer Ahsohka's arc to Ezra's.

All this compounded fan outrage on either side of any given issue is probably a big chunk of what made Lucas sell it all anyway. He's too old and too rich to have to listen to thirty somethings whine for the rest of his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #1608
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
yep. but, at least the 'keyboard warriors' will send a very clear message that this is not what we want. .
Nobody cares what a bunch of 30-40+ year old manchildren think on internet forums. "Keyboard warriors" is not a term I would be using either, whatever the hell that means. Nowadays it's more like "youtubers" or "twitter people."

We're not in the early 2000's anymore, nobody cares about forum dwellers. Social media is what business execs and famous people see since they're on it.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #1609
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
studios don't care what whiny complainers about everything who live in there mom's basement have to say
Old 04-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #1610
Vegita-San
Emperor

yes and no.

I say most def yes to the first part. most def yes to the last part. and a flat out no to the middle.

They shouldn't ALIENATE fans the way they've been doing. Episode 7 got a pass because it had nostalgia and people where just happy to see han and lea and the falcon on screen again. Episode 8 had none of that. and fans responded in kind.

yes, they should do what they want to do with the story, but they should ALSO give fans a rewarding experience after waiting 30 years. 7 did that. 8. ... not so much. and there isn't much hope for 9 or solo either. Hell, when luke friggen skywalker says star wars is basically dead to him and he's done... that's something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Disappointed fans should just go though the stages of grief with this franchise.

They don't owe us a certain kind of story any more than we owe them ticket sales.

All this compounded fan outrage on either side of any given issue is probably a big chunk of what made Lucas sell it all anyway. He's too old and too rich to have to listen to thirty somethings whine for the rest of his life.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #1611
plastroncafe

Some fans.
You don't speak for all of us, youngling.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #1612
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Some fans.
You are not wrong but if we're going to use that term then "some fans hate the prequel but some fans love it"

I personally like the prequels but I won't try to argue that they're not disliked by a large group.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:21 PM   #1613
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
You are not wrong but if we're going to use that term then "some fans hate the prequel but some fans love it"

I personally like the prequels but I won't try to argue that they're not disliked by a large group.
Where as the prequels didn't work for me.
However, my saying that neither negates your experience nor disqualifies you as a fan.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-22-2018, 03:09 AM   #1614
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
yes and no.

yes, they should do what they want to do with the story, but they should ALSO give fans a rewarding experience after waiting 30 years. g.
I had posted then decided against yesterday in relation to 'it's not your star wars' but why not.
While I appreciate the need to introduce new things, I don't like reading 'it's not your star wars' that's fine for the next 3, they are going to be a totally separate thing, but when you are bringing back the original characters and concluding their story fans will see it as 'their star wars' these characters were eagerly awaited.

as for the age comments? I mean, yeah I get young fresh audience etc but I'm pretty sure that people in their 30s and 40s are spending money on these things too, I know I love going to see movies and I buy the movie if I like it, some buy merch or if we share with our children then comes more spending on them, so sure we can be included too cant we? After all, referring to above, weren't we the ones racing out to see the return of these characters?
That being said, there are the older fans who liked these.

Last edited by newfan; 04-22-2018 at 04:32 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:27 AM   #1615
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, you folks are getting your wires crossed. Disney is more than well aware that "Star Wars" is not, like, "Blumhouse's Truth or Dare" for 13 year-olds. They know that "Star Wars" is a multi-generational thing that they want to step on tippy-toes with, to ensure it thrives for future generations. And if they feel like even one step or misstep ends up on a prick, they re-calibrate. And apparently with Star Wars, they are not the least bit afraid to shoot the same movie twice. Again and again.

But it's a bit like TMNT at this point. There is no longer any human heart in the center of it all. Just a boardroom of 100 investors. And Kathleen Kennedy pretending to be in charge.

#losingbattle
Old 04-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #1616
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
But it's a bit like TMNT at this point. There is no longer any human heart in the center of it all. Just a boardroom of 100 investors. And Kathleen Kennedy pretending to be in charge.

#losingbattle
bingo.

this is why MOST reboots fail. ID4. Feigbusters. Star Wars. TMNT.

There is no Kevin Feige who loves and understands the characters, AND knows how to make good movies to boot, guiding it all. it's all corporate checkpoints at this stage. get said property to last a few years, reboot and try again if it doesn't work.

and THAT will delude things faster than any reboot will.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #1617
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Neither will I.

I liked MOST of the prequels. it's still got bad acting, annoying characters..and way too much CGI. But on the whole, it FELT like star wars. gave us LOTS of knew stuff, and is good enough to enter nostalgia well remembered.

these new movies feel like throw aways. enjoy for 2 hours and relive if you want to. don't spend too much thought on it.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #1618
plastroncafe

I love the idea that only NOW is Star Wars corporate, and not like...when the Christmas Special came out.

Or when they made action figures of every minor character and droid.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #1619
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
this is why MOST reboots fail..
Planet of the Apes, Blade Runner, Mad Maxx, etc. all have had successful reboots.

Any superhero series you see on TV or movies right now is essentially a "reboot" of an older incarnation. They're all doing well. TMNT has had at least two successful reboots so far under Viacom, (IDW and Nick 2012), and we'll see how the new show does.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #1620
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I loved Star Wars so much, one of my favorite franchises and now I just don't care for it. I hate to be a broken record but it just. I can finally understand all those whiny prequel haters felt. And I don't really want to become like they were back in the day constantly complaining about it.

I just don't see how they can fix it at this point, they've ruined the OT more than any prequel could ever. I guess I'll always have the original movies and look at the new stuff like I did the EU back in the day "enjoy the cool stuff, don't even think about the bad stuff". It's just so disappointing.

All I know is I felt so alone after The Force Awakens released since no one shared my opinion but now I feel the majority is on my side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I love the idea that only NOW is Star Wars corporate, and not like...when the Christmas Special came out.

Or when they made action figures of every minor character and droid.
It's always been a making money business but it's different ideologies. Multi-National Disney who answers to shareholders or Lucas the rich guy who controls every decision.

They want to treat Star Wars like Marvel and put people in charge who are OT fanboys. There's also the political agenda but that's not the reason Disney Star Wars sucks now no matter how much people may make it out to be, but I do think it's the reason so many are defending this garbage (not to say there aren't fans who may like it).
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw