The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
Doppleganger
Stone Warrior

Gargoyles

Hope I'm not starting a pointless thread. I've noticed a few people are fans of "Gargoyles" here. And I thought this would be a good place to talk about the show. Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Incredible program. I really wish Kieth David would do more cartoons, he has an amazingly creepy voice.

I'm looking forward to a season 2 DVD, should Disney ever announce that.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
ZariusTwo
Overlord

By leaps and bounds, the final hoorah for Disney's consistently great animated series in the 90's, when this, Darkwing Duck, and Goof Troop ended, NOTHING was the same for the company in terms of shows

Amazing balance of darker, consistent storylines, torturted characters, numerous Arthurian mythologies coming to life before our eyes...the near entire cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation as voice talent, etc
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

I love serious animation. Why dosen't the rest of America agree.

Did those jerks at Disney ever release DVD's of this, or are they still considering this the dark bastard child of their past they want to forget because they think animation is for kiddies and are afraid of Soccer Mom mobs.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:14 PM   #5
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Ohh... I remember this. I used to watch it at my brother's place when i babysat. Only saw 4 or 5 eps, but I liked it. Love stuff like that...
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:25 AM   #6
Doppleganger
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdMarioBro

Did those jerks at Disney ever release DVD's of this, or are they still considering this the dark bastard child of their past they want to forget because they think animation is for kiddies and are afraid of Soccer Mom mobs.
Oh yeah the DVD's been out for a while. I haven't really seen it in the stores recently but you could probably get it on the online stores at Target, Best Buy, and Walmart (got my copy at Walmart) and...Amazon.com.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #7
Kali
Inactive Moderator

I LOVE this show! Gargoyles was actually my first fandom when I joined the internet. My site still holds my old fanfiction and art of the series. It's everything I love in a series: good-hearted "monsters", magic and myth, time travel, cool tech. All done with brilliant writing and breathtaking animation.

I got to see Deadly Force unedited for the first time in years.

I’m getting season two when it’s released, and I hope, like every fan and the creators, that this kicks Disney’s butt into doing one of those spin-offs. Go TimeDancer!
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:46 AM   #8
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdMarioBro
Because they'd rather let the Japanease do it right now.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:17 PM   #9
Doppleganger
Stone Warrior

Kali just checked out your site. I'll put your fics on my ever growing to-read list. You are a bigger fan that I am. I didn't even KNOW they had Gargoyles stamps.

Hey I wouldn't mind if good Mr. Weisman got all six series off and running (Bad Guys, New Olympians, Dark Ages, Gargoyles 2058, Time Dancer, and of course Gargoyles). Unfortunately that point is moot. One of these days I should gather up the money and courage to go to a Gathering. But until then I'll just discuss the show with anyone who loves the show.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:42 AM   #10
That Matt Guy
Honey Bunches

I own the first season on DVD. I've always liked the show, even though I think it went to s*** the longer it lasted. But almost everything does.
That Matt Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:52 AM   #11
Barkworm
Super Moderator

What I really disliked about the show was that almost every villain turned good in the end. I haven't watched it in a couple of years though.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:52 AM   #12
Doppleganger
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm
What I really disliked about the show was that almost every villain turned good in the end. I haven't watched it in a couple of years though.
Hmm well, I'm sure right now Xanatos is behaving because of what the Gargoyles did for him.
Spoiler:
They saved his son.
But if an opportunity presented itself he would backstab them in a minute.

Demona well she has her reasons for doing what she does. She never reformed. And that's the way she should stay.

The villains in Gargoyles were never really black and white. All had their reasons for doing what they were doing. Whether it was the quest for immortality or revenge. None were totally evil or totally good. So there's always the possibility that the "good" ones could go over to the dark side. Or the good guys becoming bad.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #13
Kali
Inactive Moderator

Xanatos never did that 180-I’m-good-now thing. He simply changed his priorities at the end. The Gargoyles are no longer his enemies, but that doesn’t mean he’s stopped his games with others. Xanatos does, and always has, lived by his own, personal set of rules. Even when he’s doing “good” the man has to be sneaky and underhanded, or else it’s really no fun. Point: Possession. That’s why I love his character. It’s not about being bad it’s about winning. I mean, honestly, how many times in the series did Xanatos really lose? Two, three maybe?

That’s why I love all the characters. Demona’s perfect, since you get to feel so sorry for her, you almost wish she’d win.

And the good guys aren’t all black and white goody-good perfect, either. Especially at the beginning. There are many times the Gargoyle's sense of honor would clash with humans', specifically Elisa. I love those times when you aren’t quite sure who to root for. Almost all sides believe they’re in the right, on the side of good, which is rather realistic.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:40 PM   #14
Doppleganger
Stone Warrior

Exactly! Thank you Kali. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #15
Aska_Badoura
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Incredible program. I really wish Kieth David would do more cartoons, he has an amazingly creepy voice.
...creepy? I thought it was kind of comforting, myself.

He did do the voice for two characters on Aladdin: The Series.

Quote:
Oh yeah the DVD's been out for a while.
Not that it was advertised well... I only found out about it last month, here in these forums, as a matter of fact. (I had my mom pick it up while she was out somewhere, I think it was Target, so they still had copies as late as last month) I never saw any advertisments, for that matter. Not even on the website! And it was only the first season. But, as a big Disney fan, I'm surprised they did that. They've never put a whole animated TV series on DVD before. I'm hoping they do more (Aladdin! I'm an Aladdin fanatic! Do Gargoyles Season Two, and the Aladdin series! Pleeeease!)

Quote:
I’m getting season two when it’s released, and I hope, like every fan and the creators, that this kicks Disney’s butt into doing one of those spin-offs. Go TimeDancer!
IF it's released. I know, think positive, but I think it was miraculous that even the first season got released. Disney's VERY fussy about releasing stuff that isn't really popular (in their eyes, that is. The Gargoyles rabid fandom is actually enough to populate a city, probably). I don't think they'd like spin-offs for a program that old. Though that would be cool.

Quote:
Because America still can't see animation as anything but 'kiddie'. It's slowly changing (notice that animated features nowadays are usually PG rather than G?), but it'll still be awhile. They thought nobody would be able to sit through a feature film when Snow White came out, and look how many more there's been since then! It just might be a few decades yet...

Quote:
One of these days I should gather up the money and courage to go to a Gathering.
Heehee, I went to the one in Houston. Did one of ten posters for it that they printed and everything. It was a lot of fun! Nice costumes, got Greg and Thom Adcox-Hernandez to sign a couple drawings, bought an incredibly over-priced comic book, geek-talked with a lot of other fans, met some people I knew from the internet.

Quote:
But if an opportunity presented itself he would backstab them in a minute.
Hmm... I don't think so. Not outright, anyway. He does have a sense of honor, even if it's slightly twisted. Doesn't mean he won't manipulate them, but I don't think he'd kick them out or turn them over to Quarrymen or anything... (don't hit me, they really were Greg's idea! )

LOL, this has bothered me since the beginning of TMNT2K3:
Foot headquarters (pre-season 3)=Eyrie building. Got antiquated-looking architecture perched atop a sleek office building, tallest thing for several blocks (if not the whole island), helicopter pad, the works.

Surely I'm not the only one to think that?

We gotta have a crossover... (I know Amanda(tello) has one (at least in the planning stages, whether it ever gets past that or not remains to be seen...) but I want a TMNT2K3/Gargoyles crossover!)

The Venus Project

LONG in need of an update, but still out there, if you want a look.
'Geek' pic by Allie
Aska_Badoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #16
Kali
Inactive Moderator

Yeah, we can always hope.

A crossover? *scratches her head* Gargoyles takes place in the mid-nineties. TMNT 2K3 takes place now. Well, dates don't have to matter unless we want to extrapolate ten years. I did have the idea for co-acquaintance character of both Elisa and April. You know, knows them both, casually. Maybe April’s got something in her shop Demona wants to get her hands on. Though Bishop and Sevarius together could be terrifying. Hmmm…
Old 03-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #17
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Gargoyles season two would have to be released in around three volumes, given it's longer.

It's one of the few Disney series (the other being Duck Tales, and later Kim Possible) to defy syndication restrictions and have a story arc that lasted more than just a few episodes, the "global world tour" arc stretched to around thirteen parts, and it is either liked or disliked by the fans, mostly because it excluded almost every main Gargolye character barring Brox, Goliath, Angela, and Demona for several episodes.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #18
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aska_Badoura
...creepy? I thought it was kind of comforting, myself.

He did do the voice for two characters on Aladdin: The Series.
His voice is very dark and eerie. He was the voice of Spawn on the (awesome) HBO series and his voice fit the bill perfectly. It's very gloomy and growly.

And he's done lots of random Disney voices. I know he was the Minitor-guy on Aladdin, Apollo on Hercules, and Mr. Pig on Tim & Pumbaa just to name a few off the top of my head.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:25 PM   #19
Doppleganger
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Hmm... I don't think so. Not outright, anyway. He does have a sense of honor, even if it's slightly twisted. Doesn't mean he won't manipulate them, but I don't think he'd kick them out or turn them over to Quarrymen or anything... (don't hit me, they really were Greg's idea! )
*Sigh* Here we go arguing over semantics again.

Quote:
A crossover? *scratches her head* Gargoyles takes place in the mid-nineties. TMNT 2K3 takes place now. Well, dates don't have to matter unless we want to extrapolate ten years. I did have the idea for co-acquaintance character of both Elisa and April. You know, knows them both, casually. Maybe April’s got something in her shop Demona wants to get her hands on. Though Bishop and Sevarius together could be terrifying. Hmmm…
Crossovers? Hmm...well okay Name of the fics are Shellshocked. There was another on fanfiction.net but I can't remember the author's name.

Oh I'm hoping Sevarius would get his hands on April. She would look awesome as a little cheetah mutate. Maybe she could finally get together with Donnie that way.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:35 PM   #20
Kali
Inactive Moderator

I myself have drawn Gargoyle/Turtle hybrids, although I don't really have a story to go with them.

I now have the urge to draw TMNT clones a la Sevarius' technique, with all the warped coloring. Slash suddenly popped into my mind for that.