The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #41
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
So, I recall somewhere that I said that I'd always wanted to read Saga, but wasn't able to get it.

Turns out, my brother had the first book in the house this whole time.

And I'm very glad for the $10 price, since it's now on my reading list even more than before.
You read the first TPB then? It's damn good stuff
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #42
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

You bet your left foot, it's good stuff!

What I'd like is to get the gigantic volumes, but alas, I only have the little books.

Age of Bronze is another comic line I would like to finish. It's basically just The Illiad told from an extremely historically accurate perspective and...very, very life-like art style. My high school only had the first two books, so I was never able to get the third.

Castle Waiting is another I'd like to finish, thought it's tragically on hiatus do to the writer/artist having some health issues. I haven't read the second volume yet, but I know that it hasn't answered an extremely important question...
Who is Pindar's father, damn it!? Don't leave us hanging, man!

That aside, I love how it goes onto the backstories of all the characters, but Sister Patience's is certainly the absolute most wild. It's one of the ones I remember most distinctly.

And I'm gradually going through getting the Amulet books when I can. It's kind of like putting Bone, Avatar: the Last Airbender, and various Studio Ghibli movies in a blender, and it works surprisingly well.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #43
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I just read a series called "The Red Ten." It's basically Agatha Christie's "Ten Little Indians" with Justice League types being killed off one by one.

I really, really liked it.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:11 AM   #44
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I just read a series called "The Red Ten." It's basically Agatha Christie's "Ten Little Indians" with Justice League types being killed off one by one.

I really, really liked it.
That sounds pretty interesting, I think I'd like to check it out

I read the first issue of the Milk Wars crossover event on Wednesday so I caught up on Gerard Way's Doom Patrol run this weekend. Really weird stuff, but a fun ride.

Now I'm going to get caught up on Mother Panic and Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye before the next two issues of Milk Wars come out
Old 02-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #45
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

What new comics did everybody read this week? Here's what I read:

Dark Fang #4: pretty good; the artwork keeps getting better and the story is picking up speed. Really curious to see how it plays out

Dark Knights Rising: The Wild Hunt: sets everything up for the finale next month. Not the strongest installment of this event series, but still good.

Marvel Two-in-One #3: decent issue. I love the Fantastic Four so I'm eager to see how Ben and Johnny go about trying to find Reed, Sue, and the kids.

Curse Words #11: another good issue. The story is starting to get really complicated (in a good way) and a lot of revelations are on the horizon. Can't wait to see what's up with the Hole World and Sizajee.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:33 AM   #46
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows#16: Wasn't a big fan of Annie's "moody teen" depiction but I loved Peter's stabs at teaching outdated jargon to kids about photography

Action Comics#997: Loved it more for the portions with Lois and Jon breaking Sam Lane out of prison, and that shock cliffhanger of course

Invincible (finale): Kirkman can write happy endings after all. Loved the fake-out with Atom and seeing Mark's daughter grow up

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 02-16-2018 at 11:42 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #47
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Anybody read anything good this week? The two comics I was most looking forward this week (TMNTU #20 and DC's Dark Nights: Metal #6, the grand finale to the event) were delayed, so that was disappointing. I did get to read a new issue of Curse Words though; the story is starting to explore some of the mysteries they've presented, should be good
Old 03-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #48
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Deadly Class is back after... four months? Five months?

I read it, but I can't say I enjoyed it. It's gone through so many hiatuses, I don't remember a lot of the secondary characters or what is even going on.

Also Red Hood and the Outlaws, which is... disappointing at the moment. The first two story arcs were nothing short of spectacular, but ever since Bizarro got smart, it's just been a meandering bore. Still sticking with it, though, hoping it picks back up.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #49
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Oh, and I read The Flash this week... the art was really, really bad. So bad it took me out of the story, which should have been awesome. More Speedsters (both good and bad) than you can shake a Weather Wizard's wand at, plus Gorilla Grodd.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #50
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Deadly Class is back after... four months? Five months?

I read it, but I can't say I enjoyed it. It's gone through so many hiatuses, I don't remember a lot of the secondary characters or what is even going on.

Also Red Hood and the Outlaws, which is... disappointing at the moment. The first two story arcs were nothing short of spectacular, but ever since Bizarro got smart, it's just been a meandering bore. Still sticking with it, though, hoping it picks back up.
Extended, unplanned hiatuses really suck. Southern Bastards has been suffering from them for a while now so I know what you mean about totally forgetting what's going on with ancillary characters.

I also sympathize with you regarding less-than-stellar stories from the Big Two. Dr. Strange, Deadpool, and Spider-Man/Deadpool have all been kinda sucks lately but it would just be too weird to not have any Marvel titles on my pull list.

Quote:
Oh, and I read The Flash this week... the art was really, really bad. So bad it took me out of the story, which should have been awesome. More Speedsters (both good and bad) than you can shake a Weather Wizard's wand at, plus Gorilla Grodd.
I hate that, a good story with terrible art. I've read a number of comics where I've thought "Damn, this writing is great but I wish the art was better". Sometimes I can even think of a particular artist who I wish would have done art duties.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #51
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

If anybody's interested in the character, the "Thanos Wins" arc in the current Thanos comic series has been pretty good so far. Issue #17 came out last week and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Issue #18 is the final part of the story arc and comes out April 11th.

This story arc is also where the new Cosmic Ghost Rider character debuted (a mad version of Frank "The Punisher" Castle from the future), who will also star in the Thanos Annual coming out April 25th.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #52
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

The Legion of Doom is making its debut in the new Justice League series. So far it's pretty good, especially after having read the event series Dark Nights: Metal and Justice League: No Justice

Spoiler:

What's everybody else been reading?
Old 07-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #53
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I've really been enjoying Marvel Two-in-One so far. Probably my favorite Marvel comic at the moment. The fact that Chip Zdarsky isn't writing for the upcoming Fantastic Four series is a darn shame, he really nails the characterization for Ben, Johnny, and Victor.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #54
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Yeah, the Marvel Two-in-One series has been good. The Annual from a couple weeks ago was really enjoyable. I'm excited for the new Fantastic Four series, even if there's a different creative team. That's actually the only Marvel series I'm pulling right now. I'll wait and see if the new Avengers, Black Panther, and Dr. Strange series are worth reading once the first trade is collected. But I need a break from Spider-Man and Deadpool.

Other series I'm following right now or will be in the near future:

Cosmic Ghost Rider
Curse Words
Dark Fang
Justice League Dark
Justice League Odyssey
Saga (last issue was crazy yo)
Southern Bastards
TMNT
TMNTU
Old 07-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #55
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm kinda low on series right now.

Batman, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Gideon Falls, The Walking Dead, I Hate Fairyland...
Old 07-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #56
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm only currently following TMNT, TMNT, and TMNT. I do pick up Usagi trades when they come out too but don't follow the single issues.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #57
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Anyone else reading Old Man Hawkeye, its pretty awesome side story and it explores more into the Old Man Logan mythos.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #58
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm only currently following TMNT, TMNT, and TMNT. I do pick up Usagi trades when they come out too but don't follow the single issues.
I ran out of interest for Usagi. I like Usagi, but I like a storyline that builds and then concludes better. The series just seems to go on and on and on...

Now, if the Jei storyline ever concludes, I'll tune back in. I really wanted to see some sort of grand finale to that character!
Old 07-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

Usagi is written like Japanese manga, it's intended to go on forever until the writer loses interest and decides to conclude it. Makes sense since Sakai is Japanese.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #60
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Usagi is written like Japanese manga, it's intended to go on forever until the writer loses interest and decides to conclude it. Makes sense since Sakai is Japanese.
I mean there are tons of Japanese manga that end so I don't see how the connection makes any sense

Tags
comics