The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 09-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #1081
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Anybody else read Batman Damned #1?

A little less straightforward than I was hoping for, but man, that is some gorgeous art...
Yeah, pretty lenghthy story there. Batman didn't get shafted in this issue. He was done dicking around, hung in there and was thrust into action.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 09-20-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #1082
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

So it was KG Beast out of costume that was the shooter. I thought he was killed off with Arnold Wesker and nobody one-shots Orca and Magpie in Face The Face? Also, being out of costume he was not recognizable. KG Beast always was one with the highest untapped potential. So shooting Dick is Bane's contract to take down the light in Batman's drkness. Dick Grayson was the highlight of the issue so if Tom King will not have Dick Grayson guest star again is a true letdown. This injury vs Scarecrow should be isolated to one arc.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #1083
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Another penis on the horizon...as Manhattan is finally appearing in Doomsday Clock tomorrow.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09...a-penis-in-it/
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:19 AM   #1084
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Heroes In Crisis#1

Spoiler:
Yep, so long Wally and Roy.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #1085
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Well damn. Tom King continues his massacre of Booster Gold's character, doesn't he?
Old 09-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #1086
Leo656
The Franchise

I haven't been keeping up, and I don't know if I've read any of King's work. Does he simply hate Booster, or...?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #1087
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I haven't been keeping up, and I don't know if I've read any of King's work. Does he simply hate Booster, or...?
As a former CIA man, Tom King likes to write dark'n'gritty stuff based on his life experiences (I assume). He did Grayson (aka Nightwing becomes James Bond), Vision for Marvel, an indie thing called Sheriff of Babylon, and Mister Miracle... as well as the current ongoing Batman.

A varied offering, and not a one has really worked for me.

Does a lot of out of character stuff, IMO, and also never, ever, EVER gives a satisfactory conclusion to a story. It always takes weird turns, lots of monologues, lots of undelivered action.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #1088
Leo656
The Franchise

Sounds meh. You know me, I like a good "gritty" tale when I can get one, but Wally and Booster are two of my favorites, so... yeah, I doubt I'd like this guy's work.

Shame. With all the hate this book's been getting based on the previews, I was hoping that it might be something I'd like. I'll wait until it hits the dollar bins.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #1089
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I enjoyed the two issues which Dick Grayson guest starred in the Batman title, but I am not invested after the mandated end of #50 and #55. I doubt #100 will wrap things up the way I prefer.

Spoiler:
Crisis is in the title so something has to happen to a Flash. I was viewing it as something more in vain of Identity Crisis, but the real Wally West is declared dead. Why not allow fake Wally West to be fodder sacrifice after going to the trouble of bringing him back with great demand. Fans want Wally not Bland Barry! What has DC added to Barry and Flash mythos with his retutn? Hal was reintroduced with a successfil mythos expansion, but Barry not so much. Sucks to be a Titian this month. So how long before the real Wally West is restored?

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 09-26-2018 at 04:18 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:27 PM   #1090
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm guessing that very few of the people responsible for writing Wally's epic run from 1986-2008 are handling anything at DC right now, and the folks who are most likely skipped that whole entire era when they were readers.

Ever since 2003 or so, there's been a weird push at DC to gradually wipe away and minimize anything that happened post-Crisis, and restore the status quo of the Silver Age - despite the post-Crisis era being objectively way better than anything previous, up until somewhere around 1996 or so when everything started losing focus. As discussed, Geoff Johns probably does it the most, but it's been pretty persistent across the line: Between costume changes and swapping Kyle and Wally for Hal and Barry, or repeatedly trying to wipe out Byrne's Superman origins and replace it with the Silver Age version, despite the numerous problems and inconsistencies that brings, it's like a lot of the writers and editors at DC want to only play with the DCU they watched when they were kids in the 1970s. They have no affection for anything Post-Crisis, because in their eyes Crisis was a bad thing that "ruined" the DCU instead of fixing it, so anything established after 1986 either isn't important or has to be removed. They grew up on Barry and Hal, so guys like Wally and Kyle can get f*cked, for all they care.

Nobody who grew up reading Wally West's Flash would treat the character as badly as he's been treated for the last decade or so. He was the most successful "sidekick" in comic book history, the only one who went on to surpass his mentor and predecessor in every possible way. But you wouldn't know he's important at all, if you've only been reading for the last few years. Shameful.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:14 AM   #1091
ZariusTwo
Overlord

We're getting some answers as to what happened to the Justice Society in Doomsday Clock this week

Spoiler:
Manhattan ensured they weren't formed by changing history so that Alan Scott never discovered his power battery and died in a train crash
Old 09-27-2018, 09:53 AM   #1092
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://comicbook.com/dc/amp/2018/09...fan-reactions/

Backflash!

A pun not a typo.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #1093
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
People angry over beloved characters killed off by cynical editors and shock-value writing?

Geddouttahere.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #1094
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I know you are being sarcastic and a lot of times it fanboys in an echo chamber I have been there. Personally, I couldnt careless and even welcome Harper's death, but to treat the greatest success story of character development in the company's history?
Old 09-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #1095
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenr...th-return/amp/

When does Heroes In Crisis happen? It seems the events are already over by the time of Doomsday Clock.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM   #1096
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenr...th-return/amp/

When does Heroes In Crisis happen? It seems the events are already over by the time of Doomsday Clock.
Doomsday Clock is set a year after everything else, but in that event, superheroes are widely distrusted and normal people only have faith in Superman.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #1097
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Doomsday Clock is set a year after everything else, but in that event, superheroes are widely distrusted and normal people only have faith in Superman.
This makes it increasingly odd having the Watchmen mystery tied to Rebirth get released ahead of Heroes In Crisis. Especially if Johns was able to meet the original monthly release schedule. Heroes In Crisis should have started back in November and whatever clutter was in the current Flash title for the interim could have been condensed to make way for Flash War and then release Doomsday Clock after Heroes In Crisis finished.
Spoiler:

Usually I don't care about this,but this one is pretty good to say the least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOYloEFEEvs
Old 09-29-2018, 11:29 PM   #1098
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't think DC has had an "event book" like Doomsday Clock come out on time since... ever.

Since I'm not picking up too many books right now, I'm just reading Doomsday Clock as its own story and not worrying where it fits in with DC's completely broken timeline, anyway. So far it's one of the best things I've read in ages. I don't care where it "fits"; it's more important that it's really, really good.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:36 AM   #1099
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Since I'm not picking up too many books right now, I'm just reading Doomsday Clock as its own story and not worrying where it fits in with DC's completely broken timeline, anyway. So far it's one of the best things I've read in ages. I don't care where it "fits"; it's more important that it's really, really good.
Glad you're enjoying it. Superman fans have been complaining about the slow burn it's been taking and using minimal Clark, but now that Manhattan's shown up and Supes factors into his visions, it's bound to pick up in that regard now.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #1100
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I don't think DC has had an "event book" like Doomsday Clock come out on time since... ever.

What did you think of the preview of Grant Morrision's The Green Lantern? Oa was memtioned in dialogue so I guess that is back. That is good. Art is not bad, but the art has been consistent in style even if it was not Van Sciver or Reis so it will take some getting used to.

I am only getting two other books from DC and switching from Batman to Detective for an arc aside from Doomsday Clock. I was mainly curious because I would like to have Wally West back, the real one. As much ofba Bronze Age shipper that I am, Wally West becoming The Flash was one of the best developments in comics.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 09-30-2018 at 10:44 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman