The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #1381
Allio
Foot Elite

has she done anything sci-fy related?
Old 01-20-2018, 10:23 PM   #1382
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
has she done anything sci-fy related?
Not that I'm aware of, but that's not a great indicator of anything. James Gunn hadn't done anything with superheroes or the like prior to Guardians. Hell, George Lucas himself had only done a Phillip K. Dick esque sci-fi story and a comedy before he did the swashbuckling adventure in space that's Star Wars.

Quote:
For all we know she could've met with KK to discuss the live action TV series that's coming in 2019.
It's certainly possible. Even likely, I'd say. Most of her work, after a quick wiki, seems to be in TV, so Kennedy might be looking into her to at least direct some episodes.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #1383
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Not that I'm aware of, but that's not a great indicator of anything. James Gunn hadn't done anything with superheroes or the like prior to Guardians. Hell, George Lucas himself had only done a Phillip K. Dick esque sci-fi story and a comedy before he did the swashbuckling adventure in space that's Star Wars.
Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

and it looks like she's done TV mostly, and some shorts. NOTHING to the scale of a Star Wars movie, or even a TV show.

Lucasfilm seems to be targeting unknown or new directors cause they are easier to control and get what lucasfilm wants done.

JJ seems to be the biggest name chosen so far.
Vegita-San is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #1384
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Well that may be the case, I'm hopeful that they're choosing lesser-known directors to get a fresh voice on the property. We wouldn't have the MCU now had it not been for Jon Favreau getting to direct Iron Man. And it's not exactly like he had any experience directing an action movie before.

And I would say that it's arguably still the best comic book movie ever made.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #1385
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Lucasfilm seems to be targeting unknown or new directors cause they are easier to control and get what lucasfilm wants done.

Ron Freakin' Howard, man.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #1386
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

and it looks like she's done TV mostly, and some shorts. NOTHING to the scale of a Star Wars movie, or even a TV show.

Why are you putting Star Wars on such a pedestal? A good director is a good director. These big budget movies have teams that handle the FX and action staging that I assume you think a TV director can't handle.

Look at the Russo brothers filmography before being tapped to make what many believe to be the best MCU movie so far.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #1387
Spike Spiegel
GORU GORU SAMA

I don't care who they get at this point, as long as they give us something new that doesn't bastardize established characters. I think the best parts of the ST are the aspects that don't depend on the originals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #1388
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ron Freakin' Howard, man.
true. I forgot about him.

can you tell i could care less about the solo movie?

And I think they only brought him in is because the movie needs a desperate save.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #1389
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I don't care who they get at this point, as long as they give us something new that doesn't bastardize established characters.
They didn't bastardize Luke, if that's what you're implying. Episode 8 is the most interesting Luke has ever been.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #1390
Spike Spiegel
GORU GORU SAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Episode 8 is the most interesting Luke has ever been.

I think they bastardized Han and Leia, too. It's like they had no development after the romantic bits of ESB. If anything, they regressed by the time of TFA.

The idea that mouse-canon Leia was never properly trained in the Force makes me a sad panda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #1391
CyberCubed
Overlord

Luke had the best characterisation he ever had in the series, and it's generally agreed upon on most online communities I've been to. He's a man who was betrayed by his nephew and everything he did about the Jedi religion failed him. Given there is also a 30 year gap here, of course people change from when they're 20 to 60 something.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #1392
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Luke had the best characterisation he ever had in the series, and it's generally agreed upon on most online communities I've been to. He's a man who was betrayed by his nephew and everything he did about the Jedi religion failed him. Given there is also a 30 year gap here, of course people change from when they're 20 to 60 something.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #1393
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
https://i.imgur.com/pFxqbGz.gif

I think they bastardized Han and Leia, too. It's like they had no development after the romantic bits of ESB. If anything, they regressed by the time of TFA.
They ALL regressed.

Han went back to doing what he did. leia went back to doing what she did. Luke just gave up.

That's not character development. that's character assassination.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:18 PM   #1394
Leonardo_thebest
Foot Soldier

Did anyone see this film theory, um, film theory? I agree with the first half of what he says, but not his counterpoint about why theory matters.

Could someone explain how I fix this so it plays?
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:18 PM   #1395
CyberCubed
Overlord

All of Luke's scenes were the most powerful in the movie, along with the Kylo Ren and Rey scenes. Luke is a disenchanted war hero who saw all his hard work had gone to naught, and training Kylo Ren his own bloodline turned on him and burned down the Jedi temple. Besides the 30 year gap of other stuff where we don't know what happened, Luke was definitely in the place he needed to be.

Also I don't know what else people expected of Leia? She's defending the Rebels like she should, what else did you expect?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #1396
Leonardo_thebest
Foot Soldier

Quote:
All of Luke's scenes were the most powerful in the movie, along with the Kylo Ren and Rey scenes. Luke is a disenchanted war hero who saw all his hard work had gone to naught, and training Kylo Ren his own bloodline turned on him and burned down the Jedi temple. Besides the 30 year gap of other stuff where we don't know what happened, Luke was definitely in the place he needed to be.

Also I don't know what else people expected of Leia? She's defending the Rebels like she should, what else did you expect?
I think that's right, loathe as I am to agree with you.
Old people are often just fed up. Yoda certainly was.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #1397
sdp
<<Angsty Dino Raver>>

Luke could've been a lot better, there was a lot of potential, but even then, he was absolutely fantastic in the film.

EDM Dinos @ MiscRave.com
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #1398
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

mark hamil knows how to act, even with crap. that's why.

Put a SJW in their place in another ep 8 thread elsewhere. they came back with a lame butt reply that wasn't even trying anymore and totally ignored what I wrote.

rewarding when it works that way.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #1399
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_thebest View Post
I think that's right, loathe as I am to agree with you.
Old people are often just fed up. Yoda certainly was.
People had similar complaints about Toph and Katara in Legends of Korra.
That there's no way the top and Katara we saw in Last Airbender would give up. But what I think they're neglecting to realize is how long those characters have been fighting. Stuff like that takes its toll. Grief takes its toll.

I thought a lot about an aging and close to dying Aang as I left the Last Jedi.
The balance between light and dark is not a singular battle that's going to be won by a singular person, and I think the realization of that when one is dedicated their entire life to that balance, it's got to be world wearying.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #1400
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Put a SJW in their place in another ep 8 thread elsewhere. they came back with a lame butt reply that wasn't even trying anymore and totally ignored what I wrote.
Is this your only enjoyment in life? You think "putting SJW's in their place" on the internet is some sort of big accomplishment?

Tags
don't like it? ur wrong, notmyskywalker, plaston doesn't go quiet, plastron hates white men, plastron hates white men*, social justice wars, star wars, vegita-san hates women, vegita-san vs sjw's