The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #101
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Humans are really pitiful creatures
you are surprised, why?

trying to criticize the designs gets people trying to make you angry. imagine having so little a life that this is how you get your jollies.

I really do wish I could give up social media these days. nothing but 50% jerks.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:11 AM   #102
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

There's not liking the character design, and then there's not liking a character design by listing all of the ways in which She-Ra doesn't live up to their standards of femininity.

The former is a matter of taste, the latter creeps ever closer to My Anaconda Don't Want None territory.

I can see where someone might not be interested in the line work. That's one of the reasons why I've never watched the original Teen Titans cartoon, I just don't like the art style.

but when the dislike of the art style comes complete with a list of all of the ways in which this female character isn't feminine enough to a person's liking, that's just harder to defend as anything other than an attempt at Lemongrabbing one's way back to relevance.

Again, I highly doubt anyone on this board is the Target demographic for this television show. And I think a lot of the anger I'm seeing online, both here and elsewhere, stems from the fact that people who have lived their entire lives being the Target demographic can't handle the fact that their opinions don't actually matter anymore.
And they are butt mad about it.
29 minutes of ranting about a handful of stills from a cartoon we haven't even seen move yet?
Oof.

I will say this though, it's been really entertaining to see people list all of the ways they believe a proper female of the species should look and dress.
Really hammers home How Deeply ingrained male as default is for some folks.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.

Last edited by plastroncafe; 07-17-2018 at 07:17 AM.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 AM   #103
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
but when the dislike of the art style comes complete with a list of all of the ways in which this female character isn't feminine enough to a person's liking, that's just harder to defend as anything other than an attempt at Lemongrabbing one's way back to relevance.
My first impression was that she looks similar to some of the characters from the new Voltron or Avatar. Nothing about it smacks of laziness or incompetence. It's certainly more complex than the noodle figures in programs like Adventure Time, OK K.O., and Regular Show.

If the art style was exactly the same, but within the context of that same style, the character design had smaller eyes in relation to the head (more adult proportions), a wider waist-to-hip ratio, and a more distinct bustline, I don't think there would be nearly the same amount of complaints. It's awfully transparent IMHO. People think she should look like a Frank Cho drawing or something. For a children's cartoon aimed at American/Western audiences (as opposed to, say, anime), excessive fanservice is not really necessary.

I think OG She-Ra looked more distinctly feminine and adult, but that was a different time in the animation industry. Character designs are a lot simpler and more streamlined now. Times and trends change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.

Last edited by Spike Spiegel; 07-17-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #104
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I'm really excited to see more character designs, since the art team have a certain freedom the poor souls at Hanna-Barbera did not have.

The cast don't have to be the same buxom pin-up model with the same go-go boots and a different hat to tell them apart, or the same musclebound beefcake or a cartoon creature. And Adora and the She-Ra identity can be loo differently like He-Man and Adam was in the 200x cartoon. Hair extensions and a tiara isn't the best disguise... Still better then Adam taking off his clothes, but not by much
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #105
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I will say this though, it's been really entertaining to see people list all of the ways they believe a proper female of the species should look and dress.
Really hammers home How Deeply ingrained male as default is for some folks.
No, it really hammers impotent attempts to troll some people by pretending that all criticism is about sexism only.

My personal criticism, that design looks uninspiredly generic and there are too few mature women as heroes to look up to.

Also, funny you are saying that "male is default for many people" despite supporting 3rd wave feminism which is not about women being seen as equal human beings, but about women being seen "not worse than men" (up to and including that males can define what womanhood is and appropriate it, when they feel like it).
I wish you could have a bout of cognitive dissonance about it but...
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #106
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Perfect

Spoiler:

picture was huuuge
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #107
plastroncafe

Oh goodness, that's perfect!
Well memed!
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:47 AM   #108
ABrown
Banned

Here's what I'm curious about. What is the show going to end up being? Is it going to be an action cartoon? Is it going to be more Teen Titans Go garbage? Is it going to be something a little more girly (which I absolutely wouldn't have a problem with. Though it just might not necessarily be something that I would be into)? Or will it be something different like Kim Possible (which for the record would be absolutely wonderful, as I'm a huge KP fan).
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #109
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Perfect

picture was huuuge
See that’s the difference between western cartoons and Japanese anime fans

Flat is justice
Old 07-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #110
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Here's what I'm curious about. What is the show going to end up being? Is it going to be an action cartoon? Is it going to be more Teen Titans Go garbage? Is it going to be something a little more girly (which I absolutely wouldn't have a problem with. Though it just might not necessarily be something that I would be into)? Or will it be something different like Kim Possible (which for the record would be absolutely wonderful, as I'm a huge KP fan).
From the looks of the Entertainment Weekly article it's going to be a long form action-adventure series. Probably splitting the difference between friendship is Magic and that DC girls cartoon.

I highly recommend nimona, the graphic novel by the showrunner.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #111
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I wonder if He-Man or Eternia will be referenced, maybe season 2. Will she still be evil in the beginning? Will she still be Adora? Are they still a rebellion fighting for their planet that is mostly conquered by Hordak?

I think most people don't care about the design cause a lot of you are 'She-Ra who?' If this was a new Wonder Woman or possibly Xena cartoon, there would have been universal outrage.

Similar to Iron Man 3 where only the comic book fans were pissed at the Mandarin reveal. But had The Dark Knight revealed that Joker was just some coked up bum some evil organization found and said 'here's 20 bucks, dress like a clown, laugh a lot and.. idk throw pies at people. Just keep Batman busy while the real bad guys plan'. There would have been insane outrage greater than the SS version.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #112
Vegita-San
Emperor

yep.

The only people who care about the design now are either die hard fans, or craptastic SJW's who like to ire people with descriptions like 'angry man babies' that they would rile against if applied to anyone else.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #113
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post

No, my dear, I "insinuate", that there is a difference between four mutant turtles and a female heroine.
Whats the difference, are you saying female heroes can't be mutants or ugly.

Quote:
No-one will suspect that TMNT designs are criticized because they are not sexy enough and no-one will deflect criticism directed at them as: "WHAAA!! HORUBLE MANCHILDREN EERYWHURE!"
Context is not a just a complicated word.
Thats because the TMNT weren't meant to be designed as sexy also when someone says "I don't feel like doinking on the new TMNT designs and you reply "There is a difference between four mutant turtles and a female heroine" then your reply doesn't really look good "Context" wise.

Quote:
And it somehow makes it immune to all criticism, right?
Like Rey being a woman-lead in the big franchise makes her immune to all kind of criticism?
We literally know nothing about this adaption of She-Ra, she can be a good character or a **** character. You don't know, I don't know nobody knows. and only time well tell.

Quote:
My personal criticism, that design looks uninspiredly generic and there are too few mature women as heroes to look up to.
The original version of She Ra was basically "He-man for girls" so its not like the original version was super creative. Also what do you mean to look up to, why do you need to look up to heroes aren't you already an adult.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #114
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Whats the difference, are you saying female heroes can't be mutants or ugly.
No.
I don't recommend to put words in my mouth. It doesn't make your flimsy arguments look better.

Quote:
Thats because the TMNT weren't meant to be designed as sexy also when someone says "I don't feel like doinking on the new TMNT designs and you reply "There is a difference between four mutant turtles and a female heroine" then your reply doesn't really look good "Context" wise.
Actually it is, because, if you start criticizing TMNT designs as being ugly very few people will cry: "MANCHULDREN!! VURGIN NOLIVERS!!".

Quote:
We literally know nothing about this adaption of She-Ra, she can be a good character or a **** character. You don't know, I don't know nobody knows. and only time well tell.
If some idiots criticize character because she is not sexy enough, it doesn't mean that absolutely all criticism about her design or story is automatically invalid.
Maybe this time, this simple idea will invade your mind?

Quote:
The original version of She Ra was basically "He-man for girls" so its not like the original version was super creative. Also what do you mean to look up to, why do you need to look up to heroes aren't you already an adult.
And He-Man was epitome of uniquness, right?

Let's try this again, maybe this time you will get it:
New She-Ra design looks rather boring, and typical for today cartoons.
And I didn't said "I want to look up to heroes". I am interested that girls might look at her and say, "hey mature women can be awesome too".

I thought, caring about what future generations will pick up from media, was an important point for being a "progressive" (LOL), but apparently when you trying to say something like that, "progressives" in question fail to understand what do you mean.
Why I am not surprised?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #115
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Pieces of concept art:

Spoiler:

By Y. Chen.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #116
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
No.
I don't recommend to put words in my mouth. It doesn't make your flimsy arguments look better.
I didn't, I asked you a question

Quote:
Actually it is, because, if you start criticizing TMNT designs as being ugly very few people will cry: "MANCHULDREN!! VURGIN NOLIVERS!!".
Like I said before TMNT weren't design to look sexy or attractive hence why nobody would call those people "MANCHULDREN" also in the quote below you admit there are some people who are criticizing her design for not being sexy so there are actual manchildren who think that way.

Quote:
If some idiots criticize character because she is not sexy enough, it doesn't mean that absolutely all criticism about her design or story is automatically invalid.
Maybe this time, this simple idea will invade your mind?
We literally know nothing about the story so there isn't anything to criticize

Quote:
And He-Man was epitome of uniquness, right?
Can't tell if this is a legit question but to answer not really, dude is just Conan with a bowl cut.

Quote:
Let's try this again, maybe this time you will get it:
New She-Ra design looks rather boring, and typical for today cartoons.
And old She-Ra looks typical for cartoons of the 80s its almost like artistic trends change from decade to decade crazy right?
Quote:
And I didn't said "I want to look up to heroes". I am interested that girls might look at her and say, "hey mature women can be awesome too".
I mean Wonder Woman got her own movie so girls can look at her for "Mature Woman" also there are tons of adult characters who are like that in animation. Characters like Lin Beifong, Nicole Watterson, Eileen,

Quote:
I thought, caring about what future generations will pick up from media, was an important point for being a "progressive" (LOL), but apparently when you trying to say something like that, "progressives" in question fail to understand what do you mean.
Why I am not surprised?
I don't think "a character's age" is the be all end all of what future generations are going to pick up when they are still kids. Zuko, Aang, and Finn aren't adults and they have some of the best character arcs in animation, Bakugo from My Hero Academia has people making videos on his character development and he is still only 16. What I want future generations to pick up are the trails and tribulations these characters go through, how the change over time, and how they react to different situations. Those are things that I think are top priority when it comes to things the future generation should pick up meanwhile I consider a character's age to be bottom tier
Old 07-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #117
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
... He-Boy?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #118
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
So He-Man will be in it?

Also why is everyone sexualizing She-Ra? There's a difference between her looking like a woman, and OMG FAP. Stop it. You stop that **** right now.

And granted the turtles were never meant to be considered sexy (I hope) but as main character heroes, there is a certain cuteness/attractiveness expected. Case in point, the complaints of how ugly they looked in the Bay films.

I mean unless the theme of the show is literally this hero is gross, or this hero is awesome despite being gross, most main characters are expected to look a certain way. Stop throwing sex into it.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #119
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
So He-Man will be in it?

Also why is everyone sexualizing She-Ra? There's a difference between her looking like a woman, and OMG FAP. Stop it. You stop that **** right now.
that was one troll throwing the whole thread off topic, and everyone else picked up on it.

before that, everyone was practically agreeing that the designs sucked. even people who don't normally see eye to eye on things. notice the quick deflection.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #120
newfan
Mad Scientist

I wondered if that was He-man too, looks like a young him but could easily be another character.
So, was her age confirmed for this show? I could see them going with a teen rather than adult if not.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i like agendas, she-nah, where's loo-kee?