The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #61
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

I’m honestly not trying to turn this thread into a 2012 vs 2018 debate, but even before RISE was a twinkle in its creators eye I always thought that 2012 was so bland. So, so bland. It had 2 colours – grey and grey. The human characters design and animation was quite frankly terrible. Reminded me of that CGI guy from the Dire Straights video ‘Money for Nothing’. OK maybe I'm being harsh there, try watching the video for Def Leppard 'Let's Get Rocked'. Yes, the human characters compare to CGI from 1992. The City scape and backgrounds gave me the impression the designers were being lazy. The Turtle designs were great, but for me they were they only good thing about that show. Since episode 1 I always had the feeling all the effort was put into the 4 Turtles design and animation, everything else was done on budget or with little interest.

I would actually like to get hold of that Ciro Nieli art book, it might give me a better understanding of those negative points I raised above.

On the other side, whenever I watch Rise, it excites my brain. Sparks it into life. I’m constantly pausing or rewinding to get a second look or a more detailed examination. Rewatching episodes. The show constantly raises a smile to my face with the things that happen or the things that are said. Originality. Fluidity. Humour. Angles (some GREAT angles).

I will admit I haven’t seen the BATMAN/TMNT animated film so I can’t compare Rise to that one, but with the ‘choppy animation’ all I can say is that is the style they are going for. I don’t believe it’s due to ‘budget’. I enjoy Rise immensely, I may even go as far to say it’s fast becoming my favourite TMNT series.

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #62
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
I’m honestly not trying to turn this thread into a 2012 vs 2018 debate, but even before RISE was a twinkle in its creators eye I always thought that 2012 was so bland. So, so bland. It had 2 colours – grey and grey. The human characters design and animation was quite frankly terrible. Reminded me of that CGI guy from the Dire Straights video ‘Money for Nothing’. OK maybe I'm being harsh there, try watching the video for Def Leppard 'Let's Get Rocked'. Yes, the human characters compare to CGI from 1992. The City scape and backgrounds gave me the impression the designers were being lazy. The Turtle designs were great, but for me they were they only good thing about that show. Since episode 1 I always had the feeling all the effort was put into the 4 Turtles design and animation, everything else was done on budget or with little interest.

I would actually like to get hold of that Ciro Nieli art book, it might give me a better understanding of those negative points I raised above.

On the other side, whenever I watch Rise, it excites my brain. Sparks it into life. I’m constantly pausing or rewinding to get a second look or a more detailed examination. Rewatching episodes. The show constantly raises a smile to my face with the things that happen or the things that are said. Originality. Fluidity. Humour. Angles (some GREAT angles).

I will admit I haven’t seen the BATMAN/TMNT animated film so I can’t compare Rise to that one, but with the ‘choppy animation’ all I can say is that is the style they are going for. I don’t believe it’s due to ‘budget’. I enjoy Rise immensely, I may even go as far to say it’s fast becoming my favourite TMNT series.
man, I hear you!

Although I have enjoyed the 2k12 series for its time at least for a long while for me there was always something missing that excited me..RISE gives me that and it feels just like you described it above...the living animation, the colors, the diversity and the fun.couldn't have written it better.

ps: yeah, ace duck!!!!
Old 11-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #63
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The way people describe this one visually... I have to be honest, I can't get past the thought that this series is for some fans what Lisa Frank products were for 12-year-old girls in the 90s. If that's someone's thing, then more power to 'em. But both products are relying on that flashy brain stimulation for attention and viewer addiction like a visual/mental sugar high, rather than relying more heavily on substance.

Too much aimed at kids tries to use that flashy hyper nonsense to get their attention anymore. While 'Rise' may be one of the more tame ones in most cases story-wise, the 'hyperness' of it is the primary reason why I'd prefer my nephew not see this one until he's older and would prefer to start showing him the original series one of these days since it is by far much calmer in tone. At 3, this kid is hyper enough and does not need the over stimulation that shows like this aim for. (Not that it's made for kids as young as 3, but still part of that trend, even in some shows meant his age group.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #64
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
The way people describe this one visually... I have to be honest, I can't get past the thought that this series is for some fans what Lisa Frank products were for 12-year-old girls in the 90s. If that's someone's thing, then more power to 'em. But both products are relying on that flashy brain stimulation for attention and viewer addiction like a visual/mental sugar high, rather than relying more heavily on substance.

Too much aimed at kids tries to use that flashy hyper nonsense to get their attention anymore. While 'Rise' may be one of the more tame ones in most cases story-wise, the 'hyperness' of it is the primary reason why I'd prefer my nephew not see this one until he's older and would prefer to start showing him the original series one of these days since it is by far much calmer in tone. At 3, this kid is hyper enough and does not need the over stimulation that shows like this aim for. (Not that it's made for kids as young as 3, but still part of that trend, even in some shows meant his age group.)
I don't see how this show is that flashy especially compared to the 2k12 version, I mean both versions technically use anime effects its that 2k12 was more 2000s while Rise is more modern. I don't know maybe its because I watch anime like Pop Team Epic, Panty and Stocking and whatever Trigger comes out but I just see Rise as a 6 out of the hyper meter.

I mean if you want hyper and flashy watch Hazbin Hotel, or don't because I don't think you will like it.

Last edited by PApagreg; 11-13-2019 at 11:28 AM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote