The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-06-2020, 02:05 AM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

Oh, sh*t, I totally forgot that I bought the series on Blu-ray and haven't watched past Season 1 yet! Good lookin' out, brah.

Season 1 wasn't the continuation I personally would have scripted, but it was alright. I'm kinda just a big mark for Ash.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #22
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Cylons was entertained, but then Cylons got bored.

So, as an argument against everyone being susceptible to nostalgia... how many forum-goers here had Fred Wolf TMNT as their first Ninja Turtles? And how many of those same forum-goers now despise Fred Wolf TMNT?

In case you couldn't see, gentlemen, I raised my hand both times.

I absolutely agree Nostalgia and First to Market are true things to reckon with. But it's not always going to hold up. I've always personally gone with the theory that people have a certain amount of Nostalgia Immunity once they grow up and move beyond some things (e.g. Fred Wolf TMNT), but that those same people ALSO can't kick their nostalgia for other things.

As far as Doctor Strange... Sam Raimi seems like an interesting choice. The first Doctor Strange movie bored me terribly except for the final 10 minutes or so, when time travel became a critical element. Everything before that was Magical Iron Man Redux.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #23
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

All this said, I'm actually curious to know Aqua's reasons for liking the Raimi Spiderman movies.

I've not watched them (CinemaSins reviews don't count), but I feel like from what I've seen, Tobey does come off pretty uninspiring in a lot of places.

Thoughts, Aqua?
Old 02-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #24
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
All this said, I'm actually curious to know Aqua's reasons for liking the Raimi Spiderman movies.

I've not watched them (CinemaSins reviews don't count), but I feel like from what I've seen, Tobey does come off pretty uninspiring in a lot of places.

Thoughts, Aqua?
First, I respect your thoughts on Tobey. And to bring it back to center, the idea that excited me was the merging of Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire. I'm the type of person who thinks these products are definitely the sum of their parts.

So without Raimi, I might not love Tobey as Spider-Man or vice versa. But together, i think they craft a wonderful interpretation of Peter, that I don't get from the Garfield or Holland films.

The thing about the Raimi/Maguire team-up is that I actually feel deep sympathy for the character they've crafted. The first 30 minutes of Spider-Man 2 are glorious because it's our opportunity to walk a mile in Peter's shoes and my god are they covered in ****. It's written in the script of course, but it's the direction and the acting that sell it.
This guy is a sadsack and you believe it. I crave that contrast of Peter's crap life with his cathartic release as a superhero above the streets. People don't always give credit, but Tobey's demeanor as Spider-Man was certainly livelier than it was when he is simply Peter Parker. I love seeing that transition and contrast.
And I also just love his personality traits. He is earnest and shy. Until, again, he puts on the mask and begins to live a little. Enjoy himself. He starts cracking jokes that are corny and stupid, but it's not the content of the joke that matters, it's the fact that this shy dude is now feeling on top of the world. That's Spider-Man. To me, anyway.

Tom Holland is likeable, charming, but have I ever felt true sympathy for his version of the character? No. Not really. The last scene in Infinity War was pretty good actually, but not enough. Both Tom Holland and Andrew Garfield's versions are way too secure in their personal lives for my tastes. It robs me of that strong sense of sympathy or connection. Raimi/Tobey's Peter was an "everyman". Tom's Peter is an Avenger with a strong social circle from practically day 1. Where is the cathartic release?
Same with Andrew Garfield - where is the cathartic release? I think Garfield absolutely nails the wise-cracking Spider-Man, but it all means so much less, when he is just as cool and confident in his everyday life as Peter.

Look, all of this comes down to more than just "Tobey Maguire", which is what I've tried to emphasize by stating "Raimi/Maguire", because, again, these things are the sum of their parts, as we all know.

So, yeah, I'd love to see where that version of Peter ended up, if the multiverse were to touch on it. He's my favorite Spider-Man. For the record, SM3 is a stinker, imo. Same with SM1 to an extent.
Spider-Man 2 just nailed it for me though. If you're a fan of Spider-Man, you owe it to yourself to at least watch the train sequence from SM-2 (my favorite comicbook film scene ever). I'd say watch the whole damn movie, but obviously mileage will vary.

Thanks for asking.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-06-2020 at 10:45 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #25
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
all that Spidey stuff
I tried the Garfield Amazing Spiderman, and turned it off 20 minutes into it. Garfield was way too smug and self-assured to be Spiderman. I thought the whole point of Peter Parker was to be a nerd with few friends and zero cool.

I'll eventually give the Raimi Spidey films a try, if only because my kiddo likes Spiderman and will eventually beg me to watch them. Could be awhile though.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, Garfield's Spider-Man and Peter Parker was an assh**e. Plus that first Amazing Spider-Man was pure drivel... wall to wall "let's set up other movies!" stuff. I didn't even bother seeing Amazing Spider-Man 2 but I wasn't the least bit surprised to hear it was more/worse bile.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

The thing I hate the most about Amazing Spider-Man is that the guy who killed Uncle Ben is never really dealt with, as I recall. Sloppy, sloppy sh*t. They left so many things hanging for sequels, I was like, "I guess that'll come up again next time," but nope. Didn't he just keep beating up people he THOUGHT was the killer but never actually caught the right guy? Or am I misremembering? It's been like two years since I saw it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Oh, sh*t, I totally forgot that I bought the series on Blu-ray and haven't watched past Season 1 yet! Good lookin' out, brah.
Season 2 probably has flat out the grossest scene in a movie or TV show I've seen anywhere... ever, and I say that in the best possible way. I think it's like episode 2. That said, season 2's finale really sucked. Season 3 was a pretty good improvement... but I really hate that series finale. It's basically the alternate, crappier bad ending from Army of Darkness.

No thanks!

Quote:
Season 1 wasn't the continuation I personally would have scripted, but it was alright. I'm kinda just a big mark for Ash.
Pound for pound I think I liked the first season best, personally. It all becomes a lot more interesting once you become more attached to the supporting cast.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #29
AquaParade
Banned

Many people are questioning why they would bring in an auteur directior like Raimi for a film this deep in production.

It’s a good question. I have a theory - Marvel has developed a routine of establishing relationships with their directors and trying to build somewhat of a brain trust among them. This may be their way of bringing Raimi into the fold before giving him control over something else they have in mind for him. As well as a bit of a “tit for tat” exchange. “Finish this movie for us and you’re in the club, baby.”

That could easily be Dr. Strange 3, but imagine if it’s something else. Marvel Zombies? Miles Morales? Ghost Rider?
Old 02-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #30
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Maguire's Spider-Man in Dr. Strange 2 would punch a ticket for me. I could not care less about Dr. Strange, but if my Spider-Man is given proper closure it would be great for an older storyline that got caught up in a web of production politics. The thing about it though is it would take away from the central character Dr. Strange as played by Benedict Cumberbatch and people like me while giving Disney my money for closing out something else I love I am not there to see the character the actual focus is on. I see it both ways.
https://www.ign.com/articles/how-sam...trange-2?amp=1
Old 02-14-2020, 07:29 PM   #31
AquaParade
Banned

Say what you want about the new Star Wars trilogy, there is a thrill there to seeing beloved characters return after so long that I am envious of. That "Chewie, we're home" line must have been orgasmic for hardcore fans.

Seeing this version of Peter would probably strike that chord for me. I can't deny being nostalgic about the character. TMNT 1990 returning would probably be more comparable but I'd settle for this.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-14-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Say what you want about the new Star Wars trilogy, there is a thrill there to seeing beloved characters return after so long that I am envious of. That "Chewie, we're home" line must have been orgasmic for hardcore fans.
Maybe when I saw the trailer. In the movie it's mostly undercut by, "they're back to being f***king smugglers?"
Old 02-14-2020, 08:26 PM   #33
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Maybe when I saw the trailer. In the movie it's mostly undercut by, "they're back to being f***king smugglers?"
Hmm, okay, maybe the creative decisions didn't pay off. I can't really speak to that. You're right that I'm mostly speaking to the trailer, which I found thrilling, as even a casual fan.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:20 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Hmm, okay, maybe the creative decisions didn't pay off. I can't really speak to that. You're right that I'm mostly speaking to the trailer, which I found thrilling, as even a casual fan.
Same thing as when you see Old Spock doing the "live long and prosper" thing in the 2009 Star Trek trailer. Same result, too.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #35
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

I'll be curious to see what Sam Raimi does with Dr Strange.

And in his Spider-Man 2, who noticed the Dr Strange reference?
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:40 PM   #36
frank_one
Mad Scientist

A Tobey Maguire cameo would be fun.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #37
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

New release date thanks to the Rona Nov. 5, 2021

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-of...us-1203550173/
Old 04-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #38
frank_one
Mad Scientist

That pesky Rona.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #39
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
I'll be curious to see what Sam Raimi does with Dr Strange.

And in his Spider-Man 2, who noticed the Dr Strange reference?

What reference? I'm scratching my head and can't recall this.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #40
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
What reference? I'm scratching my head and can't recall this.
When Peter brings in photos of Dr. Octopus a sequence like with the Green Goblin in the first film occurred which has Jameson name the villain that will be accepted by the media and the villain himself.

Any chance of McQuire making an appearance or will this speculation just lead to a tease and let down like the Abrams Spider-Man mini-series?