The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-01-2024, 04:03 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

What exactly did Paramount acquire of the FW cartoon?

Last year Paramount announced that they had acquired the FW cartoon and did indeed promptly begin to distribute it. However, the way this has been happening is a bit weird. Episodes seemed to be released in a random order and the airing on Pluto TV seems to have stopped. The full series also doesn't seem to be on Paramount plus either, only three seasons so far judging from what people on this board are saying. Then there is the bizarre details like that one French company who claimed to partially own the show while stating their intentions to make NFTs and that weird Youtube compilation of season 1 with the re-recorded theme song.

So what is actually going on here? Did Paramount really buy the whole series but had to agree some weird conditions? Were they only able to secure some select episodes? Did they just get a license deal and pretend to the public they actually own the show now? Did their releases just flop?

Seriously, what's going on here?
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 02-01-2024 at 04:58 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:49 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

To own everything under one roof, back in 2009 they bought the 4kids series and did pretty much nothing with it for like 15 years by the same token. Only just in the last few years did they start acknowledging the 2003 cartoons existence putting it on streaming and new DVD sets.

While they haven't used the original cartoon very well to make money, it's probably a slow burn. Also Lionsgate probably was ready to sell it off since they finished their DVD releases of it years ago and didn't have any more money to make off it.

I think the only series Paramount still doesn't own is Next Mutation, which I assume is still owned by Saban? The original movies are still New Line Cinema/WB I believe.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:49 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Did their releases just flop?
Probably. I don't know anyone who isn't either a board member here or maybe two people other than that on the planet who would be sitting there rewatching Fred Wolf episodes in 2024.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:10 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Probably. I don't know anyone who isn't either a board member here or maybe two people other than that on the planet who would be sitting there rewatching Fred Wolf episodes in 2024.
I mean… I am with you in as far as the show isn't actually worth watching for any real entertainment value, it's really only nostalgia bait for middle aged men at this point and any acknowledgement it's worth beyond that is just for historical curiosity, but what's with all this weird crap around the release? You'd figure if they had complete control over the show, they'd just dump the whole thing on Paramount+ if the slow trickle didn't work out.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:58 PM   #5
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Then there is the bizarre details like that one French company who claimed to partially own the show while stating their intentions to make NFTs and that weird Youtube compilation of season 1 with the re-recorded theme song.
I theorize, without any substance, of course, that it might have something to do with European seasons. I think, they have been co-produced with some European studio, so random French owning parts of FW series might tie into that.
Once again, it is a theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think the only series Paramount still doesn't own is Next Mutation, which I assume is still owned by Saban? The original movies are still New Line Cinema/WB I believe.
AFAIK, Disney acquired Saban's stuff and I think Next Mutation was part of it. If I remember correctly, Saban bought Power Rangers back, but it might not be the case or Next Mutation, which would mean this series technically in the hands of the Disney. But it goes only for the series itself, not its characters, otherwise IDW wouldn't be able to use Venus.

So, IDK.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:59 AM   #6
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I know the Next Mutation was on Netflix at one point (albeit in bad quality and with the UK intro) before being removed long ago. I imagine Hasbro currently owns the rights to the show, if not Saban Brands, the second incarnation. I also remember it being released on DVD, though I think it only contained a few episodes.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 11:11 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I know the Next Mutation was on Netflix at one point (albeit in bad quality and with the UK intro)
Is the original intro/song ANYWHERE since it aired on TV? I don't recall hearing/seeing the Na-na-na-na-na-nah-NINJA TURTLES! version since I was a kid. But I had it on DVD and did peek at it on Netflix.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:01 PM   #8
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Paramount likely bought everything, the masters are probably not what they want or the formats they got so they don't bother and they don't see much financial incentive than to air what is already easily available in the formats they want. When there's a monetary incentive to do it they will have the whole show available.

Quote:
Is the original intro/song ANYWHERE since it aired on TV? I don't recall hearing/seeing the Na-na-na-na-na-nah-NINJA TURTLES! version since I was a kid. But I had it on DVD and did peek at it on Netflix.
The DVD releases under Disney still had the intro, it was after Disney sold to Saban. that the intro was changed (though the DVDs still had it as menu music).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

What we know as facts is when Saban sold the Fox Kids stuff to Disney they took everything including Power Rangers, The Next Mutation. When Saban bought back Power Rangers they got all the american tokusatsu stuff so that included VR Troopers, The Next Mutation etc. When Saban sold to Hasbro they most likely got all the Ameritoku stuff as well. They just don't care to promote a rival's brand by having TNM streaming anywhere so it's likely not getting a release unless Hasbro sells which seems unlikely, only 4 of us care about TNM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:03 PM   #9
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
What we know as facts is when Saban sold the Fox Kids stuff to Disney they took everything including Power Rangers, The Next Mutation. When Saban bought back Power Rangers they got all the american tokusatsu stuff so that included VR Troopers, The Next Mutation etc. When Saban sold to Hasbro they most likely got all the Ameritoku stuff as well. They just don't care to promote a rival's brand by having TNM streaming anywhere so it's likely not getting a release unless Hasbro sells which seems unlikely, only 4 of us care about TNM.
Dind't know about Hasbro.
Oh, well, guess TNM never will see light of day.
Nothing of values was lost, sadly.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 01:02 PM   #10
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:

Outside Youtube, I haven't a clue. When I first watched it on Fox Kids they used the Na-na theme song. In fact, I was confused to hear the theme changed when watching it on Netflix but then I assumed it was from international airings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The original Saban itself was sold to Disney, not just Fox Kids. As far as it being unlikely that Hasbro would sell TNM rights, it's probably a matter of if Paramount is interested in buying it as opposed to Hasbro keeping it for sole ownership reasons. Owning one of the most ill-received versions of TMNT probably won't do them much favor.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 01:10 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

There's really no good or viable reason for them to try and buy it all up. For what, just so Sophie Campbell can put Venus De Milo in IDW mini-series without having to change her significantly? There isn't any push to put NT:TNM stuff in anything.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:16 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I also remember it being released on DVD, though I think it only contained a few episodes.
All 26 eps of Next Mutation are on DVD, I owned them. They even had the Power Ranger crossover 2-parter on them too as bonus eps, so you had all 28 eps of Next Mutation Turtles on disc. You can still order it on amazon
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 06:46 AM   #13
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

There's someone selling the complete series box set on eBay, I got my box set off that seller, he has 2 left in stock:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404534176...Bk9SR5LVkPOtYw

I have the region 2 releases as well with the Hero Turtles version of the theme song. That's the version I remember from when I watched The Next Mutation on Fox Kids.
tmntpower1988 is offline   Reply With Quote