The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,202
Oroku Nagi: Who needs him?

So....even in stories that use Tang Shen and Yoshi's relationship in stories, they seem to scrap Oroku Nagi, Shredder's older brother who's murder at the hands of Hamato Yoshi for crimes against his beloved sparked the whole feud between the Turtles and Shredder in the first place.

Since he's easily supplanted by his own brother (in the 1st movie and most recently the Nick toon.) or some generic orphan "brother" to Yoshi himself, does the Turtles lore even need Oroku Nagi?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Slade
god status
 
Slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,177
I'm going to say no, seeing as until early last year, I never even knew about him.
__________________
Do not concern yourself with what I've already done: rather tremble at the thought of what I am about to do.
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48140
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior
 
Joey Kamikaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 660
Well, the original Mirage TMNT #1 was supposed to a one-shot parody of Daredevil, right? The Shredder dies in the first issue, and I don't think Eastman and Laird thought through any kind of personal rivalry between Oroku Saki and the Turtles when they wrote that first issue. They were trying to tell a tongue-in-cheek story about a ninja clan, honor, revenge, etc., and the little details weren't supposed to matter much outside setting up the fight in the climax. So Oroku Nagi fit into that story when it was a one-shot, but once the series came into its own, he became a footnote. Later, when different TMNT universes built on Oroku Saki's character and made him more of a focal point in the mythology, it made sense to streamline the narrative and give him a more personal vendetta against Hamato Yoshi, and Oroku Nagi officially became extraneous.

So no, in the context of an ongoing series, I'd say the mythology doesn't really need Shredder's brother. It's one of those false starts you see a lot at the beginning of stories that grow with the telling.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,302
I think it was so Shredder killed someone Yoshi loved (Tang Shen), then Yoshi killed someone Shredder loved (his brother Nagi), and then Shredder killed Yoshi.

...And then Splinter has the Turtles kill Shredder. In the Mirage universe the vengenence cycle works well.

Of course in other universes he's not really needed which is why he is dropped. Also I found it amusing the original toon made Shredder's brother into a Tokyo police cop.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Warboss74
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 229
I think the dynamic his place in the origin brings to the character of the Shredder and subsequently Splinter and the turtles is something I'd like to see explored in future turtle universes.
Warboss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post
Well, the original Mirage TMNT #1 was supposed to a one-shot parody of Daredevil, right? The Shredder dies in the first issue, and I don't think Eastman and Laird thought through any kind of personal rivalry between Oroku Saki and the Turtles when they wrote that first issue. They were trying to tell a tongue-in-cheek story about a ninja clan, honor, revenge, etc., and the little details weren't supposed to matter much outside setting up the fight in the climax. So Oroku Nagi fit into that story when it was a one-shot, but once the series came into its own, he became a footnote. Later, when different TMNT universes built on Oroku Saki's character and made him more of a focal point in the mythology, it made sense to streamline the narrative and give him a more personal vendetta against Hamato Yoshi, and Oroku Nagi officially became extraneous.

So no, in the context of an ongoing series, I'd say the mythology doesn't really need Shredder's brother. It's one of those false starts you see a lot at the beginning of stories that grow with the telling.
Well said sir. I'm surprised that Mirage never tried to expand on him. I mean, there's gotta be some story potential there. Do something with Nagi's relationship with Saki. Show the human side that made his death change Saki. (Well, that and supposedly the Foot's training.)


Off topic, but something just dawned on me....How does Splinter know about events that happen to Saki in Japan while he and the Hamato's are in NY?

Sorry....over thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think it was so Shredder killed someone Yoshi loved (Tang Shen), then Yoshi killed someone Shredder loved (his brother Nagi), and then Shredder killed Yoshi.

...And then Splinter has the Turtles kill Shredder. In the Mirage universe the vengenence cycle works well.
BUT that's not how it works.

Yoshi killed Nagi to protect Shen, THEN years later Saki kills BOTH Shen and Yoshi in an act of revenge. The Turtles killing Shredder does close the loop, but there's no Shredder killing Shen so Yoshi kills Nagi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warboss74 View Post
I think the dynamic his place in the origin brings to the character of the Shredder and subsequently Splinter and the turtles is something I'd like to see explored in future turtle universes.
As I said above, me too. So much untapped potential. May have to come up with a "fanon" story about Nagi.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656

Last edited by Jester; 08-09-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
tmnt transformer
Stone Warrior
 
tmnt transformer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Okoto
Posts: 760
I think that he was removed because it would make yoshi look like a bad guy...
__________________
Spoiler:


This Picture was drawn by BeagleTsuin from deviantart.

http://https://gleam.io/6dHF3/itam-x-el-june-xbox-giveawayle.php?id=288262&ref=288262"]http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=288262&ref=288262[/URL]

tmnt transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnt transformer View Post
I think that he was removed because it would make yoshi look like a bad guy...
Thought crossed my mind. Heck, I've often thought it'd be cool to see a Turtle story that was just that, seeing Yoshi killing Nagi from the eyes of his little brother, the man who would be Shredder.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Coola Yagami
Emperor
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,087
It would make things so much more intense. Especially if we sprinkle some flashbacks as Saki and Nagi chillin as bros during 'the good old days' before they ever met Yoshi and Shen.

Imagine how much more violent and insane 2012 Shredder would have been if Yoshi did kill his brother...?
__________________
https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/

Check out my blog on random stuff from TMNT to Batman comics to whatever else hits my mind.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
Cipher
I can't even with this
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,440
While Nagi's easily the most expendable element of the origin story (hence his never making it out of the comics), he does play an important role in Mirage.

He sets up the idea the Shredder is simply taking revenge against Yoshi, who wronged him, albeit with the guidance and manipulation of the Foot high-ups spurring him on. It makes Splinter's subsequent revenge on Shredder a little uglier.

We get: Saki avenging Nagi by killing Yoshi > Splinter avenging Yoshi by killing Shredder (through the Turtles) > A resurrected Shredder taking revenge upon the Turtles for his death (mixing April and Casey into things) > The Turtles returning to take revenge upon Shredder > The Foot and Foot Elite vowing to take vengeance upon the Turtles > Karai making the Turtles promise to help her avenge her daughter (while finally breaking the chain)

Which is all a lot more interesting and morally cloudy than it is when Saki is just stone-cold bad-guy. While he's not essential, Nagi is a huge benefit to any version attempting to look at the consequences of Splinter and the Turtles' vengeance, as Volume 1 of Mirage does. Saki only ever wanted the same thing Splinter did.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
AquaParade
Big Boss
 
AquaParade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
While Nagi's easily the most expendable element of the origin story (hence his never making it out of the comics), he does play an important role in Mirage.

He sets up the idea the Shredder is simply taking revenge against Yoshi, who wronged him, albeit with the guidance and manipulation of the Foot high-ups spurring him on. It makes Splinter's subsequent revenge on Shredder a little uglier.

We get: Saki avenging Nagi by killing Yoshi > Splinter avenging Yoshi by killing Shredder (through the Turtles) > A resurrected Shredder taking revenge upon the Turtles for his death (mixing April and Casey into things) > The Turtles returning to take revenge upon Shredder > The Foot and Foot Elite vowing to take vengeance upon the Turtles > Karai making the Turtles promise to help her avenge her daughter (while finally breaking the chain)

Which is all a lot more interesting and morally cloudy than it is when Saki is just stone-cold bad-guy. While he's not essential, Nagi is a huge benefit to any version attempting to look at the consequences of Splinter and the Turtles' vengeance, as Volume 1 of Mirage does. Saki only ever wanted the same thing Splinter did.
Great summary.

That everlasting thread of revenge provided the Mirage series with a very rich texture throughout it's existence. Am I losing anyone?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #12
Tazi
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 1,088
...and there's also Pimiko and Lady Shredder.
__________________
Tazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored
 
***First of Two Latin Kings***'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Farm That Time Forgot
Posts: 8,542
I think Splinter is just able to assume that Saki was fueled by vengeance, and since New York is so far away and its hard to keep an eye on whoever they send, they're going to make SURE they send someone who is competent. So Saki had to train hard if he wanted the opportunity for revenge. I don't think its so much that Splinter is privy to what is happening in Japan as it is that he is simply insightful/able to put two and two together.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets



International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
Birdman37
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Off topic, but something just dawned on me....How does Splinter know about events that happen to Saki in Japan while he and the Hamato's are in NY?

Sorry....over thinking.
Am I mixing things up here or was Splinter not Yoshi's pet in Japan and he brought him to NY with him?
Birdman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #15
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,337
I think Nagi works with the satire aspect of the first issue. Having that extra character makes the backstory that much more convoluted.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman37 View Post
Am I mixing things up here or was Splinter not Yoshi's pet in Japan and he brought him to NY with him?
He was....but the fled when Saki was still a boy.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #17
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
honestly, i believe that nagi isn't so important. his omission in recent turtles lore has only been positive and made the story less convoluted. in the original story, the nagi-yoshi-shen love triangle was fine. but it felt more like their respective brother/pet are fighting someone else's battles. then again... they were a clan and they are family members respectively. so it was fine. but it felt like a game of tag that spanned generations to me.

tang shen is tagged by nagi who is tagged by yoshi who is tagged by saki who is tagged by the turtles who were trained by the one who was supposed to tag saki.

nagi's omission made the feud simpler and in the nicktoon and idw's case, really personal... as they are the players that started the game (so to speak). and that to me makes more sense than spending 15 years preparing to kill the person who killed your master's master who killed your intended target's brother.
on the other hand, i liked the concept saki avenging his brother. also, with nagi gone, saki looks less like an avenging brother and more of a jealous prick. "if i can't have her, no one can!" i'm glad idw avoided that.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #18
Powder
Salami Origami
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 25,591
I'm with Lampy on this 100%, they've worded it well.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think it was so Shredder killed someone Yoshi loved (Tang Shen), then Yoshi killed someone Shredder loved (his brother Nagi), and then Shredder killed Yoshi.

...And then Splinter has the Turtles kill Shredder. In the Mirage universe the vengenence cycle works well.
I've always liked this aspect of the Mirage run. All those moments where the cycle of vengeance is recognized/renewed really struck a chord with me. Vengeance perpetuates vengeance, and it never ends - it only brings hatred and death to everyone it touches. Heavy stuff!

This theme is lost a bit when you cut out Nagi and fold Splinter and Yoshi into one character, but it also makes sense for most adaptations to simplify the backstory. Ultimately it works either way, but I'm of the opinion that Nagi does have a strong narrative purpose.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,718
He was created for the first story, to be published once (as all of the other characters were). Not to fit within a major franchise 30 years later.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oroku nagi

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.