The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Remember House M.D.?

So I've been looking at House scenes on youtube lately. You know, Dr. House, starring Hugh Laurie? This was THE medical show to watch in the previous decade. At the time there still weren't streaming services like Netflix or Hulu, or if they existe,d they weren't as widespread as they are today. You actually had to go home and sit in front of your tv to wait for the next episode.

I remember being VERY intrigued by this show when I heard Prince George from Black Adder was starring as a doctor in a serious role. I first couldn't believe it. the idiotic and naive George from Black Adder in a "real" role? And plus, now he was a sex symbol among women? But lo and behold, he was terrific in his role and his personality was what made me watch the show, even though I've never liked medical shows except for Scrubs.

Now, I think we all know that House was rather formulaic and unrealistic. A doctor like House would never get away with most stuff he pulls in the show in real life, for starters. Also, his team only got people with rare conditions and such, something that would happen like once every 3 years in a doctor's career instead every week or wtv. Plus the last couple of seasons of the show were limping a bit already and it was time to call it quits. I was fine with the ending, even if it was rather unrealistic as well.

I think the best seasons of the show were seasons 2 and 3. The show was still rather fresh at the time and I've always liked the Chase, Foreman and Cameron team the best. Kutner was ok, but they got him killed. Taub was meh. 13 was nice. I've always had a feeling they changed House's team a bit from season 4 on because the ratings were going down a bit and they wanted to change up things a bit.

What did you think of this show back in the day? Have you tried to rewatch it since then? Do you believe it still holds up well? Thoughts?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I actually have a bit of a story involving it

My brother broke his leg in February of 2014 (spiral fracture in his thigh that was centimeters from needing surgery). During that time, some of House was on Netflix, so he was laid up watching that a lot of the time he was on the couch.

Of course the whole experience fundamentally changed him and I'm pretty sure he ended up absorbing a lot of House's personality into his own. He's writing a TV show that was initially inspired by House in the hospital drama end of it (it's an espionage show now...I think???).

I told that story to our housemate, one of my brother's best friends. He thinks it explains a lot about him.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

House is the only American version of Sherlock Holmes that's acceptable.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I actually have a bit of a story involving it

My brother broke his leg in February of 2014 (spiral fracture in his thigh that was centimeters from needing surgery). During that time, some of House was on Netflix, so he was laid up watching that a lot of the time he was on the couch.

Of course the whole experience fundamentally changed him and I'm pretty sure he ended up absorbing a lot of House's personality into his own. He's writing a TV show that was initially inspired by House in the hospital drama end of it (it's an espionage show now...I think???).

I told that story to our housemate, one of my brother's best friends. He thinks it explains a lot about him.
That's interesting. Guess the show really had an impact on him.

My brother was a bit afraid of watching House because he didn't want to become hypochondriac or something. Understandable, I guess. Although I've always taken the medical info in the show with a grain of salt. House was more than a medical show, imo. It was basically a crime investigation show in a hospital setting, with House being Sherlock Holmes and Wilson being Watson. The disease/diagnosis was basically the culprit of the "crime". Unlike actual crime/detective shows, House surprised us because most people aren't doctors or work in the medical field, thus there's no way we could easily guess what the patient has. All we knew is that it was never lupus except for that one case.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

It was always interesting watching the "puzzles" be solved and the internal conflict and side-issues with House & the team going on in the midst of which.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
House is the only American version of Sherlock Holmes that's acceptable.
I don't recall watching any other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplexxx View Post
It was always interesting watching the "puzzles" be solved and the internal conflict and side-issues with House & the team going on in the midst of which.
Yeah. Also, I love some small details such as House playing on his PSP or playing Metroid on his DS during clinic hours. There's also an episode where he is on his couch watching TNA impact I think
Old 07-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
newfan
Mad Scientist

I liked this show, haven't revisited though.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote