The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-22-2021, 06:48 AM   #61
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I really, truly don't think so. I kind of feel like the best potential TMNT stories haven't even been told yet
The SNL 'Adult Ninja Turtle' sketches are exactly this

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
tell that to DC with Batman but no dice because they remember that the character's tone was always like that. Wackiness gets tiresome too
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:11 AM   #62
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Who said anything about realism? I'm referring to tone.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:23 PM   #63
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I do have to admit, the 80's cartoon always did make the sewer lair look like this cool place to live. Even though they occasionally joke with 'can't smell all that good, these are the sewers ya know' or 'you smell like you've been in a sewer, April' they never delve on it too much and their lair looks like the cleanest sewer ever. I mean you couple that with the Rat King's hideout and whatever else and it almost feels like the sewers are this vast underground city for homeless ala Demolition Man.

But yeah considering the Mirage turtles spent the first part of their childhood training to murder someone, how cheerful can they be other than Mikey saying the occasional joke.

Honestly, when you think about it, Mikey might be the funny one cause out of the four, he's the one with the greatest desire to go out and party in the human world and knows he can't, so all the jokes and clowning is a coping mechanism. Stuff like messing with Raph and whatever are his way of making the best of a terrible situation.

IDK, the 2012 show was full of some pretty dark stuff, but maybe if they made a show similar to that but toning down Mikey and no other 'they're funny cause they're stupid' characters like Casey could work. Sure, make pizza their favorite food, but don't make it their obsession and hey the 2K3 show had the balls to actually show them eating other foods, so do that. Also tone down the catchphrases and whatnot. And rely more on Mirage-isms than FW-isms.

I mean when you think about it, thanks to both the 2K3 show and the 2012 show, characters like Savanti, Renet, Nobody, Karai and such are no longer forgotten obscure characters. If a new show goes with a more Mirage route, there will still be characters left for new fans to recognize.

You make some excellent points there, Coola, and besides it's not like the Mirage comics was constantly grim and gritty. If anything the Turtles were pretty well adjusted all things considered. Look at how they're just chilling out and the beginning of Volume 1, #2 like they don't have a care in the world. It wasn't until they got attacked by the Foot Clan in #10 that things started to get more dark and serious. When you get right down to it, they're always at their most serious when dealing with the Foot Clan.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote