The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #81
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan
 
DarkFell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: At the current moment, on your screen.
Posts: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
But let's remember...there's such a thing as "too much less"...or we'll get Shirtless Joe over here

[url]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f6/d7/87/f6d787893a59d38469b6782a13901bea.png
What? Oroku thought that he was hot. Maybe he wanted to expose some skin for a certain Channel Six ginger reporter figurine.

But yeah - I had a Shredder figure and even I thought that a 'shirtless Shredder' figure was odd.

Oh, Playmates.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #82
Garfield
Hench Mutant
 
Garfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
Their colored masks don't hide their identities...they reveal them.

Hmmm...
I think them being giant talking turtles walking on two legs, does more to reveal their identities than masks, colored or not.


Here are some more unpopular opinions.

I prefer Slash to just be evil. And I mean it in the most basic none complex sense. Just a twisted image and antithesis to the Ninja Turtles. The Bizarro to their Superman.

In some ways I enjoy the Fred Wolf cartoon more now than when I was kid. Its because as I got older I understand parody more. I like the humor. I like the quirky silly world the live in. Its very funny to me.

I don't love the Original Theme song of the Fred Wolf toon like a lot of people do. I mean, I don't really hate it, but its a little too cheesy to me.

While I'm on theme songs, I don't mind the original theme for the 2003 series. I remember a lot of people raging on it, maybe not so much on this forum but on some of the others, I didn't think it was that bad.

I like angst ridden Leo from the later seasons of the 2003 series, that was a good journey for that character. A little shocked that so many people didn't like it. I thought it was among the most compelling stuff in the 2003 series

I'll post more later...
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:15 PM   #83
Wesley
Mad Scientist
 
Wesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
I think them being giant talking turtles walking on two legs, does more to reveal their identities than masks, colored or not.


Here are some more unpopular opinions.

I prefer Slash to just be evil. And I mean it in the most basic none complex sense. Just a twisted image and antithesis to the Ninja Turtles. The Bizarro to their Superman.

In some ways I enjoy the Fred Wolf cartoon more now than when I was kid. Its because as I got older I understand parody more. I like the humor. I like the quirky silly world the live in. Its very funny to me.

I don't love the Original Theme song of the Fred Wolf toon like a lot of people do. I mean, I don't really hate it, but its a little too cheesy to me.

While I'm on theme songs, I don't mind the original theme for the 2003 series. I remember a lot of people raging on it, maybe not so much on this forum but on some of the others, I didn't think it was that bad.

I like angst ridden Leo from the later seasons of the 2003 series, that was a good journey for that character. A little shocked that so many people didn't like it. I thought it was among the most compelling stuff in the 2003 series

I'll post more later...
Agree with most of this.
__________________
Donatello: The tracker! It might work.
*Donatello goes to the back of the Turtle Van*
Raphael: Shrewd move, Donatello. If we ignore the problem, it might go away by itself. (from The Mean Machines)
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #84
Garfield
Hench Mutant
 
Garfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 416
One of these days Wesley, I'm going to post a list of things and you wont agree with any of it. And I'll feel like I really let you down.

Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #85
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I like Adam Carol more than Corey Feldman as Donnie. Feldman made him sound like he was stoned which is of place for the genius character.
Yeah I agree there. While I find Feldman humorous in the role Adam Carl fit the character better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
But yeah - I had a Shredder figure and even I thought that a 'shirtless Shredder' figure was odd.

Oh, Playmates.
Look the dude obviously felt he didn't need clothes okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
One of these days Wesley, I'm going to post a list of things and you wont agree with any of it. And I'll feel like I really let you down.

pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #86
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan
 
DarkFell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: At the current moment, on your screen.
Posts: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Look the dude obviously felt he didn't need clothes okay?
It still doesn't excuse the fact that he received a half-a** paint job. >;[

At least the figures looked like they were painted better as the toy production continued, but even some of the other toy choices that were presented to us then-younger dromers, left some of us saying "...WTF?"
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #87
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 35,128
Look at this thread from ResetEra where people are debating Splinter's origin being a pet rat or a human Hamato Yoshi before mutation was better. They're also complaining about the reincarnation aspect from IDW:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/tmn...-human.128827/
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #88
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 11,047
Given that it was the original cartoon that got it a large fan base and remains what many are most familiar with, I'm kind of surprised that Yoshi turned Splinter is not the most popular choice in that poll. Maybe many of them saw the movie more than they watched the cartoon.

Quote:
Also I never understood why he's inside of a giant wooden column that he then smashes
Me to, poster #4. Was wondering that just recently.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #89
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,428
That's cause all Splinters regardless of origin knows what's cool and fashionable, and smashing your way out of a wooden column is cool
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #90
Danetello
Stone Warrior
 
Danetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 571
1991 TMNT II is better than the first, but should've acknowledged the "cosmic" part instead of going "global".

TMNT is sci-fi, always has been sci-fi from the start (they are made from alien ooze and they go to space by issue 5 for god sake!), and it's where it works best.

2016 SotO was a decent movie, and should've been the live action reboot's first movie. Shame the first movie led to the second one flopping. If we'd started with what we got for 2, we'd have a decent movie trilogy by now.

The Rat King, in any incarnation, is the worst character ever created. I can't stand him. It was made worse in the 2012 series because of Jeffrey Combs - I find his voice the most irritating voice I have ever heard.
__________________
Dan.
Check out all of my TMNT reviews here!


Danetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #91
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,112
I remembered now...

The Punk Frogs suck: On paper, they seemed like a GREAT idea, but the execution was poor. They all seemed to essentially have the same personality and they were dumb and gullible.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #92
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I remembered now...

The Punk Frogs suck: On paper, they seemed like a GREAT idea, but the execution was poor. They all seemed to essentially have the same personality and they were dumb and gullible.
To this day, I still can't tell them apart.

They literally all have the same desgins and the same voices.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors.
What they could do without being held back is my question.
Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building.
I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.
Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #93
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
To this day, I still can't tell them apart.

They literally all have the same desgins and the same voices.
Exactly. Tbh I have no idea who voiced them nor have I googled it ever.

Their weapons were kinda cool, though.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #94
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 35,128
The Nick 2012 redesigns of them were perfect
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #95
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 8,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I remembered now...

The Punk Frogs suck: On paper, they seemed like a GREAT idea, but the execution was poor. They all seemed to essentially have the same personality and they were dumb and gullible.
They have always been favorites of mine. They need to differentiate the characters to make them more unique. Nick just picked one out and took away the connection of the four. IDW can do that when there is space.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #96
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
To this day, I still can't tell them apart.

They literally all have the same desgins and the same voices.
I like the Punk Frogs, just wish they were utilised better after their first episode.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #97
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 17,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danetello View Post
1991 TMNT II is better than the first
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #98
Shred87
Hench Mutant
 
Shred87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 458
Ill put this here instead of starting a new thread... its kind of a question/opinion i always had about the 1990 movie..

To me the Shredders existence never really made sense.... as a kid i just accepted it but what exactly is his role/purpose? Just to run a criminal enterprise with kids? He’s essentially just a gangster with spikes?? The ninja angle seems a bit aggressive to steal a couple VCR’s.... I don’t know, just never made sense to me...

He also seems a little too accepting to the fact giant turtles/rat exist.... I don’t know...takes away from the movie for me
Shred87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #99
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 3,527
In my opinion, the 1st season of the Original Cartoon is very overrated, relative to the remaining seasons.

There seem to be many tmnt fans who think that the 1st season of the OT was the gold standard and after it, the show went seriously downhill.

I on the other hand, think that while the five-episode pilot was great, several elements in seasons 2 and 3 were handled much better (such as the comedy (especially around the villains), fleshing out the turtles personalities more, and the general fun factor).

Even when it comes to the animation, while many of the action scenes in season 1 do look gorgeous, especially when considering the time period, it wasn't like there were any well animated episodes in the following seasons (Turtles on Trial, Enter the Fly and many others come to mind).

While I love the first season, I don't think the Original Cartoon lost its flare afterwards.
Seasons 2 and 3 were also great, and it was only sometime during season 4 that the show began to go downhill imo (it began improving once again in season 5 though).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors.
What they could do without being held back is my question.
Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building.
I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.
Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #100
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 5,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
In my opinion, the 1st season of the Original Cartoon is very overrated, relative to the remaining seasons.

There seem to be many tmnt fans who think that the 1st season of the OT was the gold standard and after it, the show went seriously downhill.

I on the other hand, think that while the five-episode pilot was great, several elements in seasons 2 and 3 were handled much better (such as the comedy (especially around the villains), fleshing out the turtles personalities more, and the general fun factor).

Even when it comes to the animation, while many of the action scenes in season 1 do look gorgeous, especially when considering the time period, it wasn't like there were any well animated episodes in the following seasons (Turtles on Trial, Enter the Fly and many others come to mind).

While I love the first season, I don't think the Original Cartoon lost its flare afterwards.
Seasons 2 and 3 were also great, and it was only sometime during season 4 that the show began to go downhill imo (it began improving once again in season 5 though).
I wouldn't call it a gold standard by any mean, because season 1 isn't actually good. It just happens to have better pacing and some moments of decent animation, it was already mostly bad animation and nonsense writing.

The show still went downhill, it's just that most fans thinks it started on the top of Everest, when it really started on a compost pile and rolled down a hole near the base. It was always bad, it just got worse.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.