The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #2041
Etsyturtle2
Banned

They just slapped the robo-head from movie 1 onto a slimmed down black suit.
People are paid for this.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #2042
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

...haunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Whyyyyyy would they do Casey Jones performance art set to Turn Down For What?!?!

I just... don't even...
Even if it's meant "for kids", why does it have to be so cringe-worthy? At least the stage version of Casey looked more like Casey Jones should than Stephen Amell, I guess. But that entire routine was pretty terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foombamaroom View Post
Looks like they're going with the original concept art for the helmet.

http://www.petesbasement.com/files/u...shredder-1.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Shredder's helmet is such a distraction over the rest of his muted design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsyturtle2 View Post
They just slapped the robo-head from movie 1 onto a slimmed down black suit.
People are paid for this.
Yup yup yup. Seriously, this team has no concept of character design. It's this modern video-gamey "more details = better" nonsense that just makes everything look "liney" and cluttered and ugly. That helmet is pretty hideous. And even beyond that, it doesn't look like it goes with the rest of his outfit at all. Just looks sloppy. Yeah, a bit like BayMegatron's head slapped on top of a generic ninja outfit.

And yeah... no surprises with that clip. If you didn't like the first one and you don't like dumb/mindless Bay-style action movies, it's clear this will have nothing for you.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #2043
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
The expression is a tad exaggerated, almost cartoon like. I remember back when "the Mummy" movie came out with Brendan Fraser, Imhotep opened his mouth up real wide as if he had the mouth of a snake and all these insects flew out. While it was a neat idea, it always looked a bit ridiculous to me because his mouth was open so wide and looked cartoonish. I hate when they do that in movies. With this here, I may be wrong but it looks like Raph's mouth is placed low on his face more than anything which looks weird. Since they used motion capture for their faces, why the need to exaggerate the expression? Then again the whole Raph going splat scene indicates they're going for a more exaggerated Looney Tunes feel. Yuck!

Last edited by Sabacooza; 03-13-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #2044
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

For a while, this got me worried that this Casey vs The Foot scene was going to be in the actual movie until I saw the clip again. Whew....

Yeah, I'm not really digging the Shredder's helmet but the overall design looks better than the previous monstrosity. I honestly didn't mind the highway scene as it does look a little interesting. Takes me back to issue #3 of the Mirage comics where they were involved in an obligatory car chase. Like I said before, it's good that they have a tone they want to work with, even though it's not for me. This overall movie doesn't look like it is being made for us. No offense to Dave Green but I don't believe he truly knows the lore of TMNT like some such as Ciro or Brandon do. He might just be going with what he grew up with. One of my worries though is that he goes for more of a Secret of the Ooze type of tone (minus Vanilla Ice, of course ). Nothing against that movie as it's my second favorite of the film series but I don't believe that type for tone would work for 2016. Obviously, there would be some things they would avoid such as "Combat Cole-cuts" but there are some parts that have me thinking that they literally might be going for this. It makes me question some of Viacom or Paramount's decisions. How exactly do they view the Turtles brand compared to IDW or the folks behind the Nick TV series?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #2045
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

I just need to see some shoulder blades and I'm honestly fine. I've given up on the hope that they'll give us a half-decent design, so a bad one is better than an awful one.

Also, that moment when the 'Turn Down for What' Casey looks better and more like Casey than the actual movie Casey...

God, the dialogue is a bit generic. But at least they're going the stupid-funny route rather than the stupid-dark and serious route they tried doing with the first one. It'll make it a bit easier not to take this thing so seriously when the film itself isn't taking it seriously. I got a bit of a chuckle out of 'That's how you roll' just because of how stupid it is.

ALSO, PETE SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER AS LEO THAN KNOXVILLE.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #2046
Amaranthus
Banned

Oh hey this piece of sh*t smells slightly less bad than the last piece of sh*t. THAT'S GOOD, RIGHT?!
Old 03-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #2047
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
Oh hey this piece of sh*t smells slightly less bad than the last piece of sh*t. THAT'S GOOD, RIGHT?!
Why are you sniffin' sh*t?
Old 03-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #2048
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

It could be worse you could have had Paul Feig direct and make all the turtles female and Mellisa Mccarthy could have been Kraang's android body
Old 03-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #2049
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
It could be worse you could have had Paul Feig direct and make all the turtles female and Mellisa Mccarthy could have been Kraang's android body
I'd watch it over the PD stuff.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #2050
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I'd watch it over the PD stuff.
I mean... Paul Feig has made good movies before. And his whole cast have all turned in good and memorable performances in the past. That's... quite a bit more than I can say for BayTurtles 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
The expression is a tad exaggerated, almost cartoon like. I remember back when "the Mummy" movie came out with Brendan Fraser, Imhotep opened his mouth up real wide as if he had the mouth of a snake and all these insects flew out. While it was a neat idea, it always looked a bit ridiculous to me because his mouth was open so wide and looked cartoonish. I hate when they do that in movies. With this here, I may be wrong but it looks like Raph's mouth is placed low on his face more than anything which looks weird. Since they used motion capture for their faces, why the need to exaggerate the expression? Then again the whole Raph going splat scene indicates they're going for a more exaggerated Looney Tunes feel. Yuck!
It's just... weirdly, especially off-putting. This movie has ugly designs and ugly CGI to begin with, and then there's a moment like this, that looks even more uncanny valley-ish than everything else already does.

But considering the rapid pace in which they threw this together, expecting the CGI to improve any was never realistic.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #2051
Amaranthus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Why are you sniffin' sh*t?
The thing about sh*t is, it's just like fruit. But at the same time they're polar opposites.
Fruit smells bad when it gets old, while on the other hand sh*t smells bad when it's fresh.
Amazing.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #2052
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

We hear Shredder say the "Ninja Vanish!" in that presentation in the beginning, I wonder if he also says it in the movie.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #2053
sethmartin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
We hear Shredder say the "Ninja Vanish!" in that presentation in the beginning, I wonder if he also says it in the movie.
He also says "We meet again, Turtles". So is this suppose to be the same Shredder as the last movie?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #2054
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmartin View Post
He also says "We meet again, Turtles". So is this suppose to be the same Shredder as the last movie?
I guess so? Makes me wonder where his burns went?
Hahahaha!
Old 03-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #2055
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Healed by the power of ooze.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #2056
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

You'd think he'd have more of a beef with April than the Turtles since she was the one who sent a freakin sword straight to his chest, but nah, that would involve these movies having actual continuity with one another.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #2057
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

Ah, who gives a f*ck if it's the same Shredder. The producers don't.

Also, I love how they can't find the middle-ground. Their biggest complaint about Shredder in the first film was him being overly metalic. So what do they do? They strip away everything except the helmet and the two gauntlets.

Because there clearly isn't a better way to handle Shredder.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #2058
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foombamaroom View Post
Because there clearly isn't a better way to handle Shredder.
Like, would it really be so hard to just do this?

It's kind of amazing. There are some characters in this property that are just so easy to do "right". They have simple but effective designs that look extremely iconic, say something about the character's personalities, and would translate so well to live action. And yet the PD team still manages to fall short. Just like with Casey.

Back to the IDW design: Just look at this. He's wearing baggy, cloth pants that don't restrict his movement. He's armoured, but not too armoured -- the shoulder blades are protective and help tie the whole design together. He's got the cape/scarf look, a touch of regality to his "traditional" ninja outfit. And all of that tells you a lot about who Oroku Saki is. That's character design.

I honestly don't think that anyone involved in the movies gave any character as much thought as the IDW team seems to have put into this. And considering the kind of money involved in movies compared to comics... that's kinda sad, right?

Last edited by Bry; 03-13-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:53 PM   #2059
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Caught the clip on a repeat last night before going to sleep, was surprised but glad that it played within the first minutes of it.

Was so hyper though, feel like I hardly caught it. >.< Only thing that kind of bugged me is Raph felt a little weightless, while out of the truck. Giant mutant weighting some hundred of pounds jumps on the motorcycle and it doesn't even wobble. Clearly he's been doing that for years and nailed the landing...

Leo and Donnie's reaction at 1:12 though, cute.

Also, I saw the trailer on tv once, so it's officially running.

edit: That long haired Casey on stage... Why you taught us. >.>
Old 03-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #2060
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Shredder looks a lot better but that clip looks like the same soulless drivel as the 1st movie.
Closed Thread

Tags
bantraximus, cybercubed_smells_bad, ninjaplease, trollimus, weedinfestation