The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #81
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
How do we do that? Have you seen the fandom? Imagine trying to, like, reason with a rabid pack of Jephaels, or cferreiras.
Or Fred Wolf Haters ;o)..

The fandom is what is is. there will always be people you think of as crazies. there will always be people you don't like. there will always be people you love. there will always be people looking to alter history. there will always be people looking to throw the first stone to prove they are better then the person they dislike..... there will always be people who sell out. trying to control that is an exercise in futility.

just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #82
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Define "not tolerate".
Basically self moderation, and calling out people when it looks like they're going to far.

As a group we don't all get along, or see eye to eye, but as individuals we all have at least one or two folks who we trust enough to know our intentions and who can talk us down from a proverbial ledge before a situation explodes.

I think of Dan Savage when he says: Don't tell me that you're not all like that, tell them.

We should pass off fandom crap as being made by casuals, or "the crazies," because to people from outside of fandom...we're all one group.
And so we shouldn't focus on telling people from outside fandom that we're not all like that, we should tell the people making the waves that we're not all like that.

If that makes any sense.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #83
Powder
So tired of this place

I tried that for years, on Facebook, & to a certain extent, here.

It does not work. Those who are not receptive to new versions of a kids series are certainly not receptive to new lines of thought from their peers.

& mods (not here) in places such as FB groups, as an example, are usually just as bad, so it's useless. I gave up.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #84
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I tried that for years, on Facebook, & to a certain extent, here.

It does not work. Those who are not receptive to new versions of a kids series are certainly not receptive to new lines of thought from their peers.

& mods (in FB groups, as an example) are usually just as bad, so it's useless. I gave up.
Which is fine.
We can't all defend all hills all the time.

I just think if we all made a small effort, it wouldn't seem like a Sisyphean task, and even in trying we might make the public face of our fandom a little less...berzerker rage.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #85
Powder
So tired of this place

I don't think there are enough of us who care enough to make a difference, unfortunately. Generally, being a voice of reason among that crowd leads to gang-piling or hitting a wall of ignorance, so even for those who do want to step things up in the community, it's discouraging.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #86
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Imagine trying to, like, reason with a rabid pack of cferreiras.
I'd rather spend a day with Chris-Chan.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #87
CyberCubed
Overlord

Do people really use facebook for TMNT stuff?

It seemed to me most of the teenager fans or younger fans were on twitter and tumblr.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #88
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Do people really use facebook for TMNT stuff?
Thousands and thousands of people.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #89
CyberCubed
Overlord

I thought facebook was mostly used by middle-age people now. All the young kids and fandoms are on twitter and tumblr.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #90
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I thought facebook was mostly used by middle-age people now. All the young kids and fandoms are on twitter and tumblr.
Facebook and Twitter still have the broadest range of people. Tumblr seems geared for artsy/Deviantart/hipster types, easy to look at on your big iPad while you're listening to vinyl.

https://unwrapping.tumblr.com/post/9...raphics-tumblr

Kids account for very little of Tumblr's usage.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #91
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
To be fair it's mostly people on twitter, most people here aren't posting there. The twitter TMNT fandom is pretty vicious, as is the one on tumblr.
More vicious than here? What are they, rabid animals?
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 PM   #92
sdp
-

Thousands of people use social media like Facebook for franchises that they like but they're not the same type of fandom that say the Internet 1.0 pre-social media had. Many of these are "casuals", more hardcore than the average joe but none of those would've ever joined a TMNT forum back in the day.

Kids don't really use facebook anymore, they like youtube, instagaram, snapchat. Facebook is indeed becoming more and more for old people even if i still has a large number of young blood there because it's so big it's been in decline for years now. The geeky people in fandoms mostly use Discord, I don't like it since it's meant to be more like IRC/Skype together but it's not permanent like say a forum so conversations die.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #93
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I hope that there won't be too many Fred Wolf (OT) references/ homages.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #94
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Kids don't really use facebook anymore, they like youtube, instagaram, snapchat. Facebook is indeed becoming more and more for old people
Nonsense. The statistics are against you. And technically speaking kids can barely even use FB anyway... I think you have to be 13 or 14 these days to even sign up. Used to be 18. And used to be only if you're on a college campus. You can lie, of course, and a lot do.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #95
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Nonsense. The statistics are against you. And technically speaking kids can barely even use FB anyway... I think you have to be 13 or 14 these days to even sign up. Used to be 18. And used to be only if you're on a college campus. You can lie, of course, and a lot do.
I agree. Any youngster I know nowadays, while they do use snapchat and whatnot, they are still all over FB sending each other memes and whatnot. IDK where this weird ass rumor that FB is for old people came from, cause tons of people of all ages still use it.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:22 AM   #96
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I agree. Any youngster I know nowadays, while they do use snapchat and whatnot, they are still all over FB sending each other memes and whatnot. IDK where this weird ass rumor that FB is for old people came from, cause tons of people of all ages still use it.
Yeah, my best friend's 14 year-old son just got locked up for posting about some nasty anti-cop threats because of FB. It's still a thing. It's going to be a thing for the foreseeable future.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:40 AM   #97
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

Well, to address the eternal elephant in our room, what is "the franchise"? That is, what incarnation of the franchise do you deem the bit worthy of respecting? Mirage? Fred Wolf? The older live-action movies? The newer live-action movies? The most recent show? The IDW series?

That series of questions isn't trivial, but the unfortunate reality here is that there isn't a "right" answer in the sense that all of the fandom would agree. Certain approaches some people would call respectful, others would call disrespectful...or at the very least, annoying. Filling the series with pizza references or puns off of the word "shell" is arguably "respectful" in that it is keeping in mind things that have been done before in the franchise, but still there will be people who dislike those things.

In a limited sense, the most broadly consensual definition of being respectful, in that it's the most opportune way to please (or at least interest) as many people as possible (not to mention, sell as many toys as possible) is probably to draw a bunch of characters from multiple different incarnations. If they decide to clarify that is what they're doing, I can believe that.

However, calling back to old stories by other people that many audiences liked doesn't mean you're capable of writing new stories that many audiences like. As someone, I forget whom, aptly described the IDW series (at least in my opinion), "Hey; remember that?" is not clever writing. You can make people more initially interested in your new adaptation by calling back to such things, but that also sets you up to disappoint them if your writing is boring, annoying, etc. You can reach high heights by standing on the shoulders of giants, but you can also slip and fall, far and hard.

Factor in that it's been heavily implied that this show is under a mandate to be more juvenile than the last one, and I'd say that even if the writers are endeavoring to be "respectful" as I semi-defined it above, that doesn't mean they're going to reach the quality of your favorite past incarnation; let-alone surpass it.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:43 AM   #98
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Yeah, my best friend's 14 year-old son just got locked up for posting about some nasty anti-cop threats because of FB. It's still a thing. It's going to be a thing for the foreseeable future.
I kinda think the 'Facebook is only for old people' rumor was started by a competitor and it slowly spread and because 'if it's on the internet it must be true', it helped bring more young people to other forns of social media. It's a clever ploy because no 'cool' young person wants to use something 'for old people' but it's just not true.

Just the other day I overheard some millennials bragging to each other about who is and who is not on their friend list in terms of 'hot guys'. My workplace is an odd mix of previous and current gen of people.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #99
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konchadunga View Post
Factor in that it's been heavily implied that this show is under a mandate to be more juvenile than the last one, and I'd say that even if the writers are endeavoring to be "respectful" as I semi-defined it above, that doesn't mean they're going to reach the quality of your favorite past incarnation; let-alone surpass it.
For myself personally, it isn't really even so much a "favorite past incarnation" (I don't really have a specific one single fave at this point... there are those versions that I like more than others, but largely I just love these guys collectively), it's more just a melding of incarnations and who they've become collectively over time.

Dropping (or adding) superficial things, such as the pizza, or shell references, or giving them new enemies, or new adventures, or new hobbies/interests (or struggles) that suit them individually and make sense, new designs, and so on... Don't care. Drop it, add it, do it, whatever. The execution of it, such as these newest designs, might not be a favorite and may still have an opinion on it, but it's negligible and not really a part of the respect factor.

Respecting it to me is not screwing with the deepest parts of it; not screwing with who they are as individuals which is largely influenced by a collective melding of the franchise over the 30+ years.

Respect isn't, "Hey, look, they're gonna have lots of pizza! Do silly things! And have lots of toy opportunities!" It's not turning Leo into an asshat, or Splinter into...whatever the hell is going on there. Not erasing Hamato Yoshi as the last movies did. And so on.

But that is only my perspective and only speak for myself.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 02-21-2018 at 10:25 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #100
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

I'm wondering why some fans are trying to force other fans to be quiet.
This is one dude's interpretation of the Turtles, and the consensus is that it's terrible. Just check out the comments here
We just did this with Bay, and I think, the fans are being vocal because it's being forced through, diluting the brand further.

Add corners to a circle and it stops being a circle.

Same same, but different.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote