Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #21
Blade Raider
Mad Scientist

Thanks for the pictures, oldmanwinters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
The entrance to the bedroom area is past the TV on the left. Obviously, kitchen is offscreen to the right.
I may just be reading that wrong, but the entrance to the bedrooms is clearly on the side in which the camera is placed, opposite of the Main Exit. I believe the doorway to the left of the picture is to the training area.

With the pictures, I made this floor plan.

It ain't perfect, but it's not far off. I too have no idea where the library goes. I did notice it has the same mate as Splinter's room. Maybe Splinter's real room is behind the screen at the steps and his meditation area and the library are one and the same. It's possible due to animation errors (I mean, you said it yourself that Splinter's room keeps changing).

Also, I could have swore Don's lab and the kitchen were connected (which would make sense), but the pictures say otherwise.

EDIT: I made the Bedroom to big. Don's Lab top wall should be nearly even with the kitchen. This is just general placement.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #22
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cMac44111 View Post
I could probably take a go at it, but where is the tunnel that leads to the blimp and where would the van go?
That's something that puzzles me. I believe the episode that screenshot is from is "Raphael Vs. the Volcano." The context didn't provide much help on where the tunnel is located though.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
Blade Raider
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
That's something that puzzles me. I believe the episode that screenshot is from is "Raphael Vs. the Volcano." The context didn't provide much help on where the tunnel is located though.
I belive they keep them away from the lair like they do with the com station. Their always shown walking between the lair and the Van parking. It really makes sense because there's less chance of being followed.

EDIT: Plus, they need them near Sewer exits. The lair may be in the middle of downtown for all we know.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #24
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Raider View Post
Thanks for the pictures, oldmanwinters.

I may just be reading that wrong, but the entrance to the bedrooms is clearly on the side in which the camera is placed, opposite of the Main Exit. I believe the doorway to the left of the picture is to the training area.
Great oogly moogly! I believe you are right. I neglected the placement of the couch, STOP sign, and dragon poster in all my analysis! I'll go back and try to fix my errors. Good catch!

EDIT: Fixed! (I hope!)

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 02-22-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #25
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Also, I could have swore Don's lab and the kitchen were connected (which would make sense), but the pictures say otherwise.

EDIT: I made the Bedroom to big. Don's Lab top wall should be nearly even with the kitchen. This is just general placement.
I don't know about all the kitchen walls/exits. I haven't seen clear shots from every angle.

Here are some erroneous layouts of the kitchen's placement next to Splinter's meditation area. I believe these are from a season 2 episode:

View my sketch work!
Old 02-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #26
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

With the pictures, I made this floor plan.
Spoiler:
I think you may be right about the Training Room placement.

Here's MACC finding his way around the lair:

Looks like he went directly from the TV room into the training room. Since the kitchen, bedroom hall, and exit occupy the other three walls, it looks like the training room would have to be the other wall.
ONE PROBLEM, though... the floors don't match (or the style of door for that matter). MACC may be peering out of the TV room into the bedroom area, even though the next time we see him he is in the training hall.
Hmm, might need to watch this episode again!

Notice there appears to be a ladder in the training room.

Could it be a manhole exit?

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-16-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #27
Type 97 Chi-ha
Mad Scientist

Nice work, Blade Raider! If you ever become a policeman, you'll make the rank of detective in record time!
Type 97 Chi-ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #28
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Still unaccounted for?

Okay, Detective Blade, here are some leftovers which may or may not be in continuity.

Sewer Door used in "Enter the Fly" (another season 2 anomaly?)

Turtles' bunk bed tunnel:

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 05-13-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #29
Vivi
Mad Scientist

oldmanwinters you are a legend. It is so good to see some screen shots, I like seeing how they have decorated the lair (both the common areas and individual rooms) as well as the layout. I've got to rewatch the 2K3 eps and do the same thing!

& thanks Blade Raider, I love the floor plan
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #30
Blade Raider
Mad Scientist

Until mid season 3, the lair keeps changing. The TV room seems to be the only unaffected room. Oddly, in the first episode they have a bedroom area like the normal layout (I can't remember if it's exact or not). Most likly no one execpted this show to continue for long, so the layout wasn't finalized until season 3 when the show had over 60 episodes. Think of it like the bandana errors of the early seasons. They became less and less often over time. The Lair's layout got more and more one way over time.

The normal door in "Enter the Fly" is probably just miscommunication. I guess the sript called for a wooden door (Like Don's Lab door), but the animations at Toei thought they mention a normal wooden door.

Now then, that bunk bed is nothing but advertiement. If you've never noticed, Playmates' Lair Playset has a sticker on the back wall making a fake doorway that leads to the Turtles' room with (you guessed it) a bunk bed. Most likly, Playmates asked them to change to this to sell the playset. Lucky, it didn't keep.

All this talk reminds me of the time when I was a kid that I mapped my house to be a world. My brother's was a sea because he had blueish green carpet and the kitchen was the arctic. Things like that
Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #31
Kendamu
Sewerhead

I could never quite figure out the layout beyond the living room always being the same. I figured that, as Ninjas, maybe they moved around a lot to keep from being found.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #32
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
I could never quite figure out the layout beyond the living room always being the same. I figured that, as Ninjas, maybe they moved around a lot to keep from being found.
I like that explanation for the occasion variation throughout the early seasons.

BTW, here is what the sewer exit looks like on the outside:

View my sketch work!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #33
Type 97 Chi-ha
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
I remember an episode where Rocksteady and Bebop actually did discover their lair, thought they couldn't remember how they found it afterwards when Shredder asked where it was. I assumed the Turtles would have relocated their lair anyway, as a precaution.

There's also "The Fifth Turtle"...
Type 97 Chi-ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #34
tone-master21
Mad Scientist

Here a screenshot of the tunnel by the TV and you can see weapons on the back wall, so you might be right about it being the training room.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #35
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Until mid season 3, the lair keeps changing. The TV room seems to be the only unaffected room. Oddly, in the first episode they have a bedroom area like the normal layout (I can't remember if it's exact or not). Most likly no one execpted this show to continue for long, so the layout wasn't finalized until season 3 when the show had over 60 episodes. Think of it like the bandana errors of the early seasons. They became less and less often over time. The Lair's layout got more and more one way over time.

The normal door in "Enter the Fly" is probably just miscommunication. I guess the sript called for a wooden door (Like Don's Lab door), but the animations at Toei thought they mention a normal wooden door.

Now then, that bunk bed is nothing but advertiement. If you've never noticed, Playmates' Lair Playset has a sticker on the back wall making a fake doorway that leads to the Turtles' room with (you guessed it) a bunk bed. Most likly, Playmates asked them to change to this to sell the playset. Lucky, it didn't keep.

All this talk reminds me of the time when I was a kid that I mapped my house to be a world. My brother's was a sea because he had blueish green carpet and the kitchen was the arctic. Things like that
Wow, very astute observations, although I'll still keep an eye out for any way to resolve the continuity, since there are still a few wall unaccounted for (Splinter's room, training room, etc.). Also, that's very funny about mapping your house. I think a lot of kids do stuff like that. I think I did too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone-master21 View Post
Here a screenshot of the tunnel by the TV and you can see weapons on the back wall, so you might be right about it being the training room.

Spoiler:
Tone-master, I was just thinking of that very screenshot! It certainly does look like the training room is through that tunnel, no doubt.

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-16-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #36
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

It never occurred to the me before that they went from separate bedrooms, to having that bunk bed area, then back to individual rooms.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #37
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Official Map Found!

Alright, I know I've resurrected another long dead thread, but I have a good reason for it!

The "definitive" answer to the lair mapping question is revealed in this very blurry scan of the OT Lair layout sheet which I found on the late, great NinjaTurtlesNetwork.com:

And for comparison, here's Blade Raider's map, which is a very close match outside of a couple of rooms, which I'm guessing are the weapons room, training room, and library (next to Splinter's room?):

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoilered to avoid forum clutter

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-16-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #38
Roland
is Laughing

Awesome! Is their maybe also technodrome layouts?
Old 01-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #39
BoggleKng
Mad Scientist

Aside from the Playmate Lair, has anyone put together their own lair?
Old 01-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #40
Venom
Space Knight

Pretty cool blueprint, just wished it was legible.

One thing Oldmanwinters: you mentioned the Blimp Chamber being at the end of a tunnel, could it be at the far end of the Training Room? In each shot you provided the Training Room appears to be situated in a tunnel that either arcs around or doesn't have good lighting.

Also, perhaps the Lair itself is in a sub-level of the sewer system and the Training Room ladder leading upward goes up into the garage holding the Party Wagon?

I considered this since I remember seeing on a History Channel show the NYC sewer system being an elaborate underground network spenning several levels deep after.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fred wolf series, model sheets