The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #141
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Keep a close eye out and you'll catch a shot of Skurge/The Executioner.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:19 AM   #142
joefsas
Stone Warrior

Is that the dude with the machine gun?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #143
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefsas View Post
Is that the dude with the machine gun?
Indeed it is.

I'm so hyped for this movie now.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #144
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
"I know him from work"

F*ck me, these movies just get worse and worse...

Whats wrong with that line
Old 04-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #145
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Maybe it's too silly... for a movie where a Norse god fights a green radiation monster for Jeff Goldblum's amusement!?
Old 04-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #146
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Whats wrong with that line
He doesn't like fun movies
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #147
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I personally love that line.

If I had my say, Thor would be much more serious, but "Norse DudeBro" is pretty entertaining.

If only his movies were any good. Okay, Thor 1 wasn't BAD... it was just bland. Thor 2 was BAD.

DC may be behind in the CBM game, but Wonder Woman is definitely shaking up to be a much better "demigod/superhero" story than Thor has ever had on the big screen.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #148
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
If only his movies were any good. Okay, Thor 1 wasn't BAD... it was just bland. Thor 2 was BAD.
Thor 1 was a pretty good comedy. Thing is... it shouldn't have been a comedy.

Thor 2 isn't good, but that's a rare movie that I feel might actually have been brutalized in the editing room, coupled with the reshoots we know took place about "We need to add more Loki! The ladies really, really want a lot of Loki!" The basic idea and structure of it is sound... it just lacks a lot of emotional resonance and the Elf villain isn't given much of anything to do. I think a lot of stuff that would have made it work was cut out, and a lot of stuff that wasn't needed was thrown into it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #149
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Thor 1 was a pretty good comedy. Thing is... it shouldn't have been a comedy.

Thor 2 isn't good, but that's a rare movie that I feel might actually have been brutalized in the editing room, coupled with the reshoots we know took place about "We need to add more Loki! The ladies really, really want a lot of Loki!" The basic idea and structure of it is sound... it just lacks a lot of emotional resonance and the Elf villain isn't given much of anything to do. I think a lot of stuff that would have made it work was cut out, and a lot of stuff that wasn't needed was thrown into it.
Agreed. Although... actually, yeah, now that I think about it, Thor 1 is pretty much a comedy. It feels like a weird superhero romcom. "To regain his title, a royal prince banished from his kingdom must learn about life... and LOVE!"

And Thor 2 was utter tripe. And the core story ideas were sound, except maybe "Jane gets infected by the Red Stone/Mist for Reasons". Dark Elves, war against Asgard, Loki reluctantly fighting alongside Thor, CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON...

Seriously, Eccleston is a great actor. Just give him more than two lines of English dialogue.

And the whole final fight was bollocks. Thor waiting on a subway to rejoin the fight... worst MCU movie yet, and I say that as an adamant hater of Iron Man 3.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #150
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Your hate for IM3 almost matches mine for IM2.
Almost.

As for the Thor's...I like them all.
But I'm well aware of my bias of not really wanting/needing/caring to have anything to do with the comics. That's how I feel about pretty much all the Avengers, save for Fraction's run on Hawkeye.

So any changes to the character the movies may make, really don't affect me in any way.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #151
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Your hate for IM3 almost matches mine for IM2.
Almost.

As for the Thor's...I like them all.
But I'm well aware of my bias of not really wanting/needing/caring to have anything to do with the comics. That's how I feel about pretty much all the Avengers, save for Fraction's run on Hawkeye.

So any changes to the character the movies may make, really don't affect me in any way.
I know!

I'm not actually sure how Thor is presented in the comics... I guess that's why "Dudebro" Thor doesn't bother me; I find him vastly entertaining.

But movies that don't take themselves or their villains/crises seriously do bother me, and that's my biggest complaint regarding Thor 2. Thor 1... it's not bad, I just don't care.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #152
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't know that I'd put Iron Man 3 below Iron Man 2. It's pretty close, though. It's pretty shocking to me that literally none of the lessons 2 should have taught them were learned from in 3. I mean, I guess they made 3 far less "Let's Set up the Next Avengers Movie" than 2 was, but everything else... yikes. But hey, 3 made a lot of money and it's allowing Shane Black to make a lot of awesome movies like "Nice Guys" and hopefully "The Predator," assuming it's not pants.

I have no idea how Thor is in the comics, either, though I understand second-hand he's more serious and more at a Superman level of power.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #153
Dust
Foot Soldier

I'm excited. Thor 1 I liked and I liked parts of Thor 2, but like others the final fight was a bit crap and Christopher Eccleston was severely underused. This will be the best Thor film, I can just feel it, though it could be a bit clustered, however as long as it's not ASM2 levels of clustered I won't mind.
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #154
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
I'm excited. Thor 1 I liked and I liked parts of Thor 2, but like others the final fight was a bit crap and Christopher Eccleston was severely underused.
There was reportedly a metric ton more Eccleston and Dark Elves stuff shot. They scraped it all out to make room for more Loki and such.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #155
plastroncafe

Quote:
I know!

I'm not actually sure how Thor is presented in the comics... I guess that's why "Dudebro" Thor doesn't bother me; I find him vastly entertaining.

But movies that don't take themselves or their villains/crises seriously do bother me, and that's my biggest complaint regarding Thor 2. Thor 1... it's not bad, I just don't care.
I don't see how it's possible to take characters that are nigh invulnerable seriously in the first place. You can't hurt them, so there's no real drama putting them in situations where OH NOES! THEY'LL GET HURT!

No they won't. They're gods. They don't GET hurt.
(See also why I don't care much about Superman fighting things.)
When I think about characters like this, I'm reminded of this scene from the movie, "Big."

Which is one of the reasons why I like Thor to be the human equivalent of a golden retriever. And why I will always laugh when he gets knocked out of the frame.

Because he can't get hurt, and when he does...it's only to show how badass the other guy is.

Quote:
I don't know that I'd put Iron Man 3 below Iron Man 2. It's pretty close, though. It's pretty shocking to me that literally none of the lessons 2 should have taught them were learned from in 3. I mean, I guess they made 3 far less "Let's Set up the Next Avengers Movie" than 2 was, but everything else... yikes. But hey, 3 made a lot of money and it's allowing Shane Black to make a lot of awesome movies like "Nice Guys" and hopefully "The Predator," assuming it's not pants.

I have no idea how Thor is in the comics, either, though I understand second-hand he's more serious and more at a Superman level of power.
See, as someone with PTSD I really REALLY loved IM3.
Not as much as the first IM1, but still a whole lot.
The only superhero movie I love as much as IM1 is Logan.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #156
Dust
Foot Soldier

Quote:
There was reportedly a metric ton more Eccleston and Dark Elves stuff shot. They scraped it all out to make room for more Loki and such.
I didn't know that, and I would have much preferred more Eccleston and Dark Elves stuff than the Loki stuff, no matter how much I like Hiddleston's performance. Thor 2 was so close to just becoming the Loki movie, did Thor really develop since Avengers? He met Jane again, but that's about it. Oh, and I can't forget Darcy and her assistant, they dragged the film down for me as well. Thor 3 appears to be much more than the Loki movie with an underdeveloped villain, which is good.
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #157
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
"I know him from work"

F*ck me, these movies just get worse and worse...
One little joke makes the movie bad?
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #158
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

After re-watching every MCU movie in the proper order pretty recently, I have to say the only movies that really felt bad was Thor 2 and Avengers: Age of Ultron. AoU definitely benefited from me being able to pause and take breaks when it slowed down or dragged on.

The think the whole Iron Man trilogy is pretty good. IM3 is definitely better than IM2. Granted, the villains in both movies kind of suck. But I liked the MCU's take on the Mandarin, who I don't think would work as a villain in this day and age. I like the idea of a serious threat using a paid spokesperson to serve as the largely-unwitting face of their criminal enterprise.

But this first Ragnarok trailer looks like the first truly GREAT Thor film. Guess we'll have to see if the movie pulls it off or if the trailer just made it look cool
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #159
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I don't see how it's possible to take characters that are nigh invulnerable seriously in the first place. You can't hurt them, so there's no real drama putting them in situations where OH NOES! THEY'LL GET HURT!

No they won't. They're gods. They don't GET hurt.
(See also why I don't care much about Superman fighting things.)
When I think about characters like this, I'm reminded of this scene from the movie, "Big."

Which is one of the reasons why I like Thor to be the human equivalent of a golden retriever. And why I will always laugh when he gets knocked out of the frame.

Because he can't get hurt, and when he does...it's only to show how badass the other guy is.

See, as someone with PTSD I really REALLY loved IM3.
Not as much as the first IM1, but still a whole lot.
The only superhero movie I love as much as IM1 is Logan.
Thor the Golden Retriever. I love it.

I'd argue that you can hurt gods, just not physically. Make them weep, destroy the things they've built and the innocents they protect... but I get your point.

I did love the PTSD stuff in Iron Man 3. Again, I like serious stories. Stories that try to be serious but oh-so-funny usually just piss me off.

Logan was the best. Simply the best.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #160
plastroncafe

Quote:
Thor the Golden Retriever. I love it.
Don't say Tumblr never gave you nothing!

Quote:
I'd argue that you can hurt gods, just not physically. Make them weep, destroy the things they've built and the innocents they protect... but I get your point.
Oh truth, but...when people don't understand how to do that...we get movies like Man of Steel and the Snyder-verse.

Which is sad, because we could be getting more movies like Captain America, and Winter Soldier.

Quote:
I did love the PTSD stuff in Iron Man 3. Again, I like serious stories. Stories that try to be serious but oh-so-funny usually just piss me off.

Logan was the best. Simply the best.
I'll admit that there's a fine line to walk between, but...life isn't JUST dour serious stuff. There's humor and fun to be found in even the darkest times, and the fact that there is, is what makes us human.
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
marvel cinematic titanic, ragnacuck, whor 3: ragnacock