The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #41
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist

Imo, the issue lies in what the show is trying to do, and its general concept and vision is just being unappealing for a TMNT cartoon; mystic weapons, new and uninteresting characters, silly and awkward jokes, Raph being a buffoonish leader. This show is obviously aimed towards a younger audience which they've outright said and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. The 11 minute format does indeed work for the stories they're trying to tell but for me, most of them aren't interesting. I've enjoyed shows like Sonic Boom and even the new DC Superhero Girls TV show and I get more of a kick out of those.

Whenever this show comes back from a hiatus, I've already dropped it due to lack of interest. This show just isn't for me and I'm just not interested in seeing another wacky version of the turtles because it's the last thing this property needs, in my eyes.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #42
IMJ
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Imo, the issue lies in what the show is trying to do, and its general concept and vision is just being unappealing for a TMNT cartoon; mystic weapons, new and uninteresting characters, silly and awkward jokes, Raph being a buffoonish leader. This show is obviously aimed towards a younger audience which they've outright said and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. The 11 minute format does indeed work for the stories they're trying to tell but for me, most of them aren't interesting. I've enjoyed shows like Sonic Boom and even the new DC Superhero Girls TV show and I get more of a kick out of those.

Whenever this show comes back from a hiatus, I've already dropped it due to lack of interest. This show just isn't for me and I'm just not interested in seeing another wacky version of the turtles because it's the last thing this property needs, in my eyes.
At every business I've ever worked at there has been people who are the "change crowd". And change is necessary, if not always good. Except that in most occasions these people are clearly virtue signaling for change - they are riding it for strange psychological or manipulative reasons rather than anything valid.....

This are the "throw any **** at the wall to see what sticks" people. They lack real creativity so they hide behind a poor version of an original idea and they usually only wind up with a wall covered in ****.

That's how I view the showrunners of this new show. They "changed" for yuppie, groupthink, "look at me, I'm an agent of change" reasons. And the result was this show.

I think I watched one, maybe two episodes. Couldn't stand it.
IMJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
This show just isn't for me
It was never intended to be.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #44
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
That's how I view the showrunners of this new show. They "changed" for yuppie, groupthink, "look at me, I'm an agent of change" reasons. And the result was this show.

I think I watched one, maybe two episodes. Couldn't stand it.
yep.

I barely got through the pilot. I didn't need to see anymore. (and I say this as someone who enjoys a little of Teen Titans Go once in a while. I never saw that series as too serious to begin with)

If Rob Wasn't so involved in this series, it'd be getting alot more criticism from me.

I can't help but wonder if that's why they thought to bring him in to voice direct, being official turtle ambassador.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:23 AM   #45
Btown
Hench Mutant

Currently I’m deployed and when I was talking to my 7 year old daughter the other day she said “I don’t like these new turtles, I miss the old ones” To me, when a child says that it’s realky saying something about the series. while I myself haven’t seen any episodes from rise, I have no intentions to do so. I just haven’t been with this series since the designs were revealed. Thankfully we now have Pluto TV and can watch all of the 2003 and 2012 episodes
Old Today, 09:19 AM   #46
Dejablue
Hench Mutant

This show does have an audience. It's just....nobody in here.

I remember being a kid, when a show I liked got a "new look." I totally hated it. But then I just grew to like it. That's how a lot of things are. You hate it but because it isn't going away your tastes adapt.

I WANT my tastes to adapt to this show but won't... and I don't know why! I guess if the OT cartoon had come out today I'd probably not like it. Most of my love for the OT is nostalgia based? Possibly.

Though I still feel that when this show feels like it, Rise is easily the best animated turtles cartoon when it comes down to fights. My main problem with this show is all of the turtles are Mikey so Mikey doesn't stand out. And there is no straight man. I'm just not gelling with this "Nothing matters and nothing is taken seriously" nature of Rise. Not saying that the show has to be dark. What I mean is every character treats their circumstances like a crappy joke they have to tell. So if they don't care about what is happening then why should I?

My tastes have just changed so while I feel this was fine for the 80s, a turtles show shouldn't be constant jokes all the time. Heck even the OT turtles wasn't that.

I'm going to shill Mao Mao as a better example of episodic light hearted fun with low stakes.

BUT AAANNNYWAY...I would strongly suggest looking outside of this place if you do happen to like Rise. Rise has fans. But very few of them are here.
And I swear to God that isn't some kind of threat or "We don't like u types here." kind of thing, I'm just being honest. This forum is dying because new people who want to get in can't even get in.

Edit: I just had an epiphany. The reason Mao Mao is better than Rise is because the three main characters have different personalities. In Rise all 4 turtles are basically the same. As much as I tend to crap on Leo for being boring (tho his 2k12 version is my favorite). A show like Mao Mao demonstrates how it is entirely possible to have your stick in the mud no nonsense character still be fun, backed up by two friend characters who are also different personality wise. The jokes are more natural when the main cast don't all act the same way. Conflict is funny!

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; Today at 10:01 AM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:36 PM   #47
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well said and agree with much of it.

Another point imo is that the 80s Turtles benefited not just from being the first cartoon, but they were also a product of their time. A good part of the tone and style of that series is because of their time period. And even then, when times changed it tried to adapt to it in those last few seasons. Does it look goofy today, sure, but at least it feels genuine.

'Rise,' however, doesn't feel genuine to me, rather it just feels like it's trying too hard to be a certain way, rather than just trying to be good. It is partly in a way also a product of it's time, fair enough, in an age where too many cartoons try so hard to be stupid, weird and/or eccentric... and that's just not appealing to see with TMNT. It's just sad instead; Nick shoehorning them in there to be too much like everything else. Too much influence by a cartoon trend that is fast getting old. (Cripe, even Spongebob, goofy as it always was, is picking up some of that stupid stuff in these later seasons and making the shift more obvious.)

I mean, on the rare occasion that they actually touch on the overall plot and get a little more serious, sometimes it edges into being half decent. And... then it forgets that entirely and goes back to episodes with little more substance than watching the Turtles watch paint dry. Too many of them just leave me feel like, "Welp, there's that one. Next."

We were sold this whole theme of the mystic stuff, a hidden underground city, this pet of April's that is still an complete mystery (why?), etc... and the series isn't even owning it. I'm not overly big on the mystic direction, but geezus, at least OWN what you supposedly wanted to be and BE it.

As a die hard and glutton for punishment, though, I still check it out and just keep waiting for more eps that end feeling like they were worth the time given to watch it, and keep waiting and hoping for it to get better to some extent... Not with an in vain hope that it's going to turn into a superior predecessor, but at least, like I said, own the supposed theme of the mystic city stuff, not a theme of "just how absurd can they act" in eps that wouldn't matter if they were skipped.

The personality stuff though, as mentioned, has always been the part that bothered me most about this one. They don't all have to be Mikey in order to be funny and enjoyable. Different types of humor are a good thing. I always loved Leo's sense of humor in most cases in everything else before now. Infrequent, being the straight man and all, but when it happens it feels all the more genuine and good. Him acting and treated as some dummy is just so disappointingly out of character.

How the hell did we go from noble, stoic depictions of him to, well, this...

Last edited by IndigoErth; Today at 01:53 PM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote