The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #141
Nelson
Stone Warrior
 
Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Barney_Stockman

I applaud the obscure reference & clever re-use of an existing sprite!
Haha, thanks! I'm sure most people that play this game will think I typed "Baxter" wrong. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Haha, so clever!

Also, greater integration of the Turtle Van into the gameplay is something I always wanted to see in the TMNT beat em' up games. Looks like staying on the roof might be tricky though!
It is! The trick is to not jump much, or at all. That way, most hits won't knock you down (but on the other hand, you will get hit more often.)

----

I worked on the same stage some more. I added that foot vehicle from TMNT3, which I named "Bubblecopter". I also gave a voice to Barney, and changed his hace and his bullets. The rest of the stage remains unchanged.

Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #142
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 11,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post

I worked on the same stage some more. I added that foot vehicle from TMNT3, which I named "Bubblecopter". I also gave a voice to Barney, and changed his hace and his bullets. The rest of the stage remains unchanged.
Thanks, Nelson, as a kid who played a lot of TMNT3: Manhattan Project, it annoyed me that I didn't get a chance to actually attack and destroy that thing on the rooftop stage. That always meant at least one Foot Soldier survived my rampage of justice...
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #143
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,418
I'd love to hear the Road Kill Rodney's say, "Hey, no fair, that hurt!" before they die.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #144
Nelson
Stone Warrior
 
Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Thanks, Nelson, as a kid who played a lot of TMNT3: Manhattan Project, it annoyed me that I didn't get a chance to actually attack and destroy that thing on the rooftop stage. That always meant at least one Foot Soldier survived my rampage of justice...
I also found it weird that in TMNT3 you let that ship go. But if you think about it, it probably flew back to Shredder's spaceship, which blows up in the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'd love to hear the Road Kill Rodney's say, "Hey, no fair, that hurt!" before they die.
Nice suggestion! Check it out:



Now I have to change the pitch of the "do not resist us" clip so it matches the other voices.

Last edited by Nelson; 08-13-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:36 AM   #145
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,809
Man, that could get annoying.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #146
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 11,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Nice suggestion! Check it out:

Spoiler:


Now I have to change the pitch of the "do not resist us" clip so it matches the other voices.
I love it! So hilarious. I'm guessing the Rodneys won't appear in every level, so the voice clips are a funny enough homage to the old show without danger of it playing so much that it becomes a distraction. It's not like they are Foot Soldiers, that pretty much come in waves with every screen scroll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I also found it weird that in TMNT3 you let that ship go. But if you think about it, it probably flew back to Shredder's spaceship, which blows up in the end!
I do like to think so.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #147
Nelson
Stone Warrior
 
Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I'm guessing the Rodneys won't appear in every level, so the voice clips are a funny enough homage to the old show without danger of it playing so much that it becomes a distraction. .
Hopefully that's the case. If their voices turn out to be annoying in the final game I'll probably remove the sounds they make when they get hurt.

---

Working on Raphael. I added voice clips for him and he's probably the most fun Turtle in that regard. He makes 1 of 5 different sacrastic remaks when he dies.

I also redrew the faces of all the Turtles for their stance sprite, and added a bit of detail on the floor of the building stage.



Also, I created a Facebook page for this project. It's pretty barren now but I'll promote it a bit when I release a new demo: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TMNT-R...59836544187895

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I have been working on the prologue as well.


Last edited by Nelson; 08-18-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #148
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,418
Nelson, this is all too awesome. Can't wait to play as my favorite Turtle and hear him snark.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #149
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 11,696
Oh, a prologue!

I'm at the point where I practically despise cutscenes and talking to NPCs in modern video games today, but I loved them in old school tradition ala Ninja Gaiden, the Capcom Disney games, etc. The simplicity just has a real innocent charm with I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Nelson, this is all too awesome. Can't wait to play as my favorite Turtle and hear him snark.
"We're dealin' with a real mind here!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post

Also, I created a Facebook page for this project. It's pretty barren now but I'll promote it a bit when I release a new demo: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TMNT-R...59836544187895
I went ahead and gave you a double Like. You've now got the support of the TMNT Fan Commentaries Facebook page, since I figured Kevin would be cool with that.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-17-2015 at 04:26 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #150
Nelson
Stone Warrior
 
Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 666
Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I'm at the point where I practically despise cutscenes and talking to NPCs in modern video games today, but I loved them in old school tradition ala Ninja Gaiden, the Capcom Disney games, etc. The simplicity just has a real innocent charm with I like.
I gave up on modern videogames mainly because of that, so I can sympathise. So this game will only have a short prologue and epilogue, like in the NES days.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I went ahead and gave you a double Like. You've now got the support of the TMNT Fan Commentaries Facebook page, since I figured Kevin would be cool with that.
Thanks! I just listened to an audio commentary of yours, and old one from A Thing About Rats. I have see that episode millions of times and never thought about April's purse, how it never appears agin in the show. Or how Baxter's design is so heavily influenced by Doc Brown.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #151
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 11,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Thanks, guys.


I gave up on modern videogames mainly because of that, so I can sympathise. So this game will only have a short prologue and epilogue, like in the NES days.



Thanks! I just listened to an audio commentary of yours, and old one from A Thing About Rats. I have see that episode millions of times and never thought about April's purse, how it never appears agin in the show. Or how Baxter's design is so heavily influenced by Doc Brown.
Actually those TMNT NES games did had little cutscenes between the levels, usually during transitions from one section to the next.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #152
Nelson
Stone Warrior
 
Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Actually those TMNT NES games did had little cutscenes between the levels, usually during transitions from one section to the next.
Well, yes. I wrote that wrong. What I meant to say is that all those cutscenes are very short and don't interrupt the gameplay.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #153
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 11,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Thanks, guys.


I gave up on modern videogames mainly because of that, so I can sympathise. So this game will only have a short prologue and epilogue, like in the NES days.



Thanks! I just listened to an audio commentary of yours, and old one from A Thing About Rats. I have see that episode millions of times and never thought about April's purse, how it never appears agin in the show. Or how Baxter's design is so heavily influenced by Doc Brown.
One thing I appreciate about most old games that didn't have game save features was the pacing of the presentation. If you knew what you were doing, most of those games wouldn't take more than a couple of hours to complete. Playing through those old games again and again was about the same thrill for me as watching one of my favorite movies. Nowadays, games take so long to complete that I rarely play through a "story mode" more than once unless it's a fighting game designed for that experience.

I'm really excited to see what you do with the cut scenes. I'd even be delighted if bosses taunt the player with a brief line before the fight begins like in the old 16-bit games.

And cool that you gave the TMNT Fan Commentaries a listen again! The bit about April's purse is strange, as it looks very compact when it's attached to her belt, but considerably larger when she pulls it out to use like in the early scenes of "A Thing About Rats." Kevin and I try to read up on our TMNT history before we tackle an episode. There's way too many schmos on the internet who just ramble for half and hour. Hopefully, we've got insights to offer. Hey, maybe we should do a commentary on Rescue Palooza and its artistic influences when you're finished with it!
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:20 AM   #154
TMNT-Leonardo
Hench Mutant
 
TMNT-Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I also found it weird that in TMNT3 you let that ship go. But if you think about it, it probably flew back to Shredder's spaceship, which blows up in the end!



Nice suggestion! Check it out:



Now I have to change the pitch of the "do not resist us" clip so it matches the other voices.
I like that the top screen is clear now, gives it more of the arcade look. I think the added voices for Road Kill Rodney get annoying really fast though. I like it better when they didn't talk when they get hit.
__________________
Turtle Power!
TMNT-Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #155
Powder
Salami Origami
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 25,878
I don't find their voices annoying at all, I hope they remain in the game. Considering the Fred Wolf aesthetic, I think it's super cool that they do talk. It'd be less accurate were they quiet.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #156
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I went ahead and gave you a double Like. You've now got the support of the TMNT Fan Commentaries Facebook page, since I figured Kevin would be cool with that.
Well I nev.....

Yeah, we're both totally in love with this project!
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #157
TMNT-Leonardo
Hench Mutant
 
TMNT-Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I don't find their voices annoying at all, I hope they remain in the game.
I'm not saying they should be removed, but they shouldn't be used so constantly. Saying "NO" everytime an enemy gets hit will get irrating overtime (also midly distracting, but not in a good way), not to mention out of place. Most games won't have enimes shouting out "no" everytime they get hit, they might have a grunt, but that's usually after you hit them a second or third time. The only thing you should hear when they get hit is the cling sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It'd be less accurate were they quiet.
But were they constantly saying no when they got hit?
__________________
Turtle Power!
TMNT-Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #158
Nelson
Stone Warrior
 
Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well I nev.....

Yeah, we're both totally in love with this project!
Thank you Jester!

Regarding the Roadkill Rodneys, now the only talk when defeated.

I am working in the construction site stage now. After that I have to create the unlockable characters for the new 3 stages, and then I'll release a new demo.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #159
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 11,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Thank you Jester!

then I'll release a new demo.
Hurrah! It's been a while since a new playable update. What sort of feedback are you most desiring regarding the gameplay?
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #160
Nelson
Stone Warrior
 
Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Hurrah! It's been a while since a new playable update. What sort of feedback are you most desiring regarding the gameplay?
Bugs and such. One of the earlier versions crashed when a 3rd of 4rd players joined in (d'oh!). And of course suggestions are welcome.

Mainly I want to relase the game in batches. If I wait until the game is complete it would take forever. I mean what's the point of working on this game for so long only to accidentally trip and fall in the bathtub and maybe die and then the game won't be played by anyone ever. You know? OK that sounded kinda dark but hopefully it makes sense
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fan game, remix

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.