The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 05-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #301
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany Orange Dude View Post
Cons for me: it's once again Green Hill.
Maybe this game was in development a long time before Sonic Mania.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #302
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

It started development after Lost World so I'd imagine so. Although I don't know when development for Mania started. There's really nothing to say of Green Hill.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #303
chrisdude
Foot Elite

With Mania on the way, it's hard for me to get excited about Forces.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #304
Turo602
The King of Kings

I don't get why people bitch about them always using a variation of Green Hill. It's an iconic aesthetic to the franchise just like the Mushroom Kingdom is to Mario, or New York to Spider-Man.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #305
sdp
-

Looks boring, why not have Green Hill from modern sonic's perspective for a change? I know that was done in SA2 but it's been years while Green Hills was just done in Generations which I guess was also a while ago but whatever.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:40 PM   #306
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Looks boring, why not have Green Hill from modern sonic's perspective for a change? I know that was done in SA2 but it's been years while Green Hills was just done in Generations which I guess was also a while ago but whatever.
A variation also existed in Lost World, y'know, the very last Sonic game.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #307
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Lost World is also a Sonic game a lot of people didn't play
Old 05-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #308
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Which is a total shame since it was the best Sonic has ever been in 3D. The gameplay was so smooth and the best Sonic has ever controlled in 3D. But instead, people prefer the stiff gameplay of the dashing really fast games.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #309
sdp
-

Lost World was eventually ported to PC, from what I read it's a flawed but decent game. I have it on PC but what sucks is I'll never be able to play the Zelda and Yoshi levels...I'm not buying it on Wii U though, it literally cost me about about a dollar while the cheapest I've seen it on Wii U is $30.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #310
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Which is a total shame since it was the best Sonic has ever been in 3D. The gameplay was so smooth and the best Sonic has ever controlled in 3D. But instead, people prefer the stiff gameplay of the dashing really fast games.
Really? Everything I read about how it controls sounds like it'd be a horrible nightmare. [Also I watched all the cutscenes. I wish I hadn't.] The controls in Sonic Adventure 2 are what always felt the best for 3D Sonic for me -- everything that's come after has been so slippery.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:05 AM   #311
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Really? Everything I read about how it controls sounds like it'd be a horrible nightmare. [Also I watched all the cutscenes. I wish I hadn't.] The controls in Sonic Adventure 2 are what always felt the best for 3D Sonic for me -- everything that's come after has been so slippery.
I don't know what you've read, but the game certainly controls better than Sonic Adventure 2. However, I find the Adventure design, at least for the Sonic/Shadow stages, to be the best way to go about Sonic in 3D. Even the gameplay felt sufficient enough, though they could use refining as they don't always feel accurate.

Lost World on the other hand, takes a break from the recent boost formula introduced in Sonic Unleashed, and brings Sonic back to a reasonable pace like the Adventure games. The biggest difference though being that Sonic now has a run button which just keeps him at a steady running pace which works a whole lot better than people would lead you to believe. Like I've said before, he feels so much more controllable because his movements are just way more accurate. You can actually run in perfect circles, keep still in a straight line, and make easy turns. You're actually platforming in 3D this time and not relying on 2D sections for that like recent games (though, there are still plenty of 2D levels which are actually the weakest aspect of the game for a change). Though, that doesn't mean Sonic isn't fast either. There's plenty of speed, but it's a lot more balanced like the orginal games. There are a lot of gimmicky levels, but they mostly just help change up the pace of the game and aren't as terrible as some would have you believe either. I found some to be really enjoyable. Though, that's not to say it doesn't have its own set of flaws, but it should definitely be the basis for which direction they should go in with Sonic.

I'm very disappointed that Forces went back to the boost formula which I'll admit, is exhilarating and should definitely be incorporated into Sonic games, but in a smaller capacity. Because as I said, Sonic feels really stiff when you're controlling him without the boost and that's because you're meant to move him in slight directions while boosting, but then it makes platforming nearly impossible in 3D, so they just stick with making the game shift into 2D when you platform which sounds like a half solution to me.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #312
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

The run button is where I hesitate. That sounds like hell to get used to and I really don't think I'll like it. It sounds horrifying and everything I've read tells me as much. This is the first time I've seen anyone praise it at all.

I mean, as a Sonic fan I'm bound to pick the game up eventually and find out for myself, but the descriptions give me Secret Rings flashbacks. Not in any hurry to make that mistake again, so I'll wait until I see it for under $20
Old 05-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #313
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
The run button is where I hesitate. That sounds like hell to get used to and I really don't think I'll like it. It sounds horrifying and everything I've read tells me as much. This is the first time I've seen anyone praise it at all.

I mean, as a Sonic fan I'm bound to pick the game up eventually and find out for myself, but the descriptions give me Secret Rings flashbacks. Not in any hurry to make that mistake again, so I'll wait until I see it for under $20
That's fair, but I don't really get the big deal about the run button. It's like holding down a button to drive or sprint in any other game and it feels rather comfortable since its located on one of the triggers. Believe me, I know the game was trashed, but undeservedly so. Especially by the Sonic fanbase who literally have no idea what they want. It's the same situation with the Devil May Cry fans sh*tting on the reboot which was actually really good. Let me know when you do get the chance to play it. I'm very curious to hear your perspective on it. But trust me, it's far from being another Secret Rings, '06, Unleashed, or Boom. You may not appreciate it as much as I do, but in terms of quality, it definitely leans more towards Colors and Generations.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #314
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Anyone else here love Sonic Unleashed? Its one of my favourite games of all time despite not being perfect. I had a great time playing through the story.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #315
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Anyone else here love Sonic Unleashed? Its one of my favourite games of all time despite not being perfect. I had a great time playing through the story.
I've only played it on the Wii. The weird thing is that I like the gameplay of the Werehog sections more than the staff run controls of the Day levels. Only complaint is that the Werehog levels tend to drag on a bit too long. I can see the Sonic Adventure influence in the world-travel theme and the hub stages.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #316
sdp
-

I loved Shadow the Hedgehog and that game gets a lot of undeserved hate. From the reveal everything was negative since it was "sonic with guns" and "why does shadow need vehicles?"

Well oddly enough it's the Sonic game everyone had asked for at that point in time, the complains of SA1 and 2 were that people only wanted Sonic Levels. Here you had a game with only sonic levels and without the annoying switching mechanic of Heroes.

Weapons? Most of the weapons are actually really fun to use, from the laser guns to giant swords, itw as awesome! Vehicles? Also a lot of fun and most are stuff like space ships and whatnot so there argument of "shadow can run faster" is invalid since his speed doesn't factor in this vehicles, the motorcycle is a lot fun despite Shadow also being able to run fast and only the jeep felt pointless since it wasn't that fast and it was clunky. Oh yeah and both of those things are completely optional, you can play the game without using them.

The actual game has fun levels, the storyline is pretty cool as well, well I mean for a Sonic game. And replayability is high since you need to replay to get the different endings by taking different paths a la star fox. So no boring-fest replay the same levels always with different teams that Heroes had.

What about the angst? Well yeah, the game is angsty but you don't need to take it seriously, it's pretty cool. I like it. It's meant to be as dark as Sonic the Hedgehog can be.

Underrated game.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:23 PM   #317
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I've only played it on the Wii. The weird thing is that I like the gameplay of the Werehog sections more than the staff run controls of the Day levels. Only complaint is that the Werehog levels tend to drag on a bit too long. I can see the Sonic Adventure influence in the world-travel theme and the hub stages.
The Wii/PS2 version is quite different from the 360/PS3 version.

I have it on 360 and it's obvious the 360/PS3 is how it was intended to be. Nothing personal against the Wii or PS2 (I have both systems) but that version is more like a scaled down retool because it just can't generate what the other machines can.

As for Lost World I too really enjoyed it. The controls are fine. Never ever take "professional reviews" seriously. Only you can ultimately decide what a game feels like to play.

Again with Shadow. It's nothing special imo but it's decent for a Sonic style game. Controls are fine. Never had any problems.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:36 AM   #318
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I love it, it's one of the best 3D Sonic games along with Colors and Generations.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:13 AM   #319
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I bought the 3DS version. Haven't played it for a few years, since I got stuck on one of the levels. By comparison, Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice was quite enjoyable to play.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #320
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
That's fair, but I don't really get the big deal about the run button. It's like holding down a button to drive or sprint in any other game and it feels rather comfortable since its located on one of the triggers. Believe me, I know the game was trashed, but undeservedly so. Especially by the Sonic fanbase who literally have no idea what they want. It's the same situation with the Devil May Cry fans sh*tting on the reboot which was actually really good. Let me know when you do get the chance to play it. I'm very curious to hear your perspective on it. But trust me, it's far from being another Secret Rings, '06, Unleashed, or Boom. You may not appreciate it as much as I do, but in terms of quality, it definitely leans more towards Colors and Generations.
Yeah, once I get to play it, I'll have a lot of Words I'm sure.

Though I will say I didn't really like Colours very much. I dunno, it wasn't a bad game or anything, but it wasn't great, either? It's extremely forgettable for me. Generations is fantastic, though. [I haven't played Unleashed yet. The one time I got to borrow it from somebody, my Wii couldn't read the disc. rip]

Quote:
I loved Shadow the Hedgehog and that game gets a lot of undeserved hate. From the reveal everything was negative since it was "sonic with guns" and "why does shadow need vehicles?"

Well oddly enough it's the Sonic game everyone had asked for at that point in time, the complains of SA1 and 2 were that people only wanted Sonic Levels. Here you had a game with only sonic levels and without the annoying switching mechanic of Heroes.
I felt similarly to this when I first played the game, but when I replayed it as an adult I couldn't stand it. I'm curious to know when you last attempted a playthrough.

Quote:
only the jeep felt pointless since it wasn't that fast and it was clunky. Oh yeah and both of those things are completely optional, you can play the game without using them.
I disagree, the [mandatory] hover vehicle you use in the prison island level was horrible. You used it to travel over the green areas. I want to say it got used more than once but I might be wrong.

Quote:
The actual game has fun levels, the storyline is pretty cool as well, well I mean for a Sonic game.
The levels, for me, were only fun on the neutral routes. There were occasional hero/dark routes that were... okay? But a lot of them were "kill # of guys" and that isn't fun at all. And any mission that required you to chase some bigass vehicle and shoot at it constantly or else you won't destroy it on time? **** all of those.

Tags
paperbrookneedsfreshair, sega, sonic