The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Is Tyler Durden from Fight Club a hero?

I mean he's considered to be anti-PC and doesn't give a F and all.

Last edited by Egon1982; 02-24-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
I mean he's considered to be anti-PC and doesn't give a F and all.
But also an anarchist and an "eat the rich" sort.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:30 PM   #3
IMJ
Emperor

This is crazy to see this thread randomly appear here - especially to this audience. I love Fight Club. I've got a nice Pahluniak collection, actually.

Tyler Durden is not a hero. Not by any means. The character is a protagonist born of duality who serves as a point of conflict, but also as a catalyst for action by the narrator.

All of Tyler's actions are generally subversive - there is nothing heroic about them. However, along the way he delivers some sense of meaning to the office employee generation, which grants him a certain "heroic charm". But academically, no he is not a hero at all.

Instead, he is the unbridled action man that we all, in some small shape or another, wish we could be to escape much of the structured, rigid-establishment-like-nature of society.

Given what millenials are doing now, I'd say that Fight Club was significantly more relevant to my generation than it would ever be to millienials. They aren't the same people. If they "get it", it's likely only through their lens of perceived superiority rather than actual empathy for the subject matter. The narrative of Fight Club can definitely be cross-generational, but I'd argue adamantly that you had to be there to really have that story shake your DNA.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:19 AM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

LMAO, no he's not a hero.

Looking past that he's the split personality of the Narrator/Joe/Jack, Tyler is a pathetic creature who preaches self thinking, freedom and anti-consumerism but still made his own little cult who follow his every command. Anyone seeing Tyler as the hero of the Fight Club franchise completely missed the point.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:26 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm no expert in these things but wouldn't Tyler be considered now like... basically an Antifa extremist? No?
Old 10-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

Hey, so does anyone but me here know about the retcon of Tyler's nature? As of the comic, Tyler is no longer a mere manifestation of the main character's frustration but a mental disorder passed down gentically. That's the reason the main character's father had kids with with multiple other women, he wanted to make sure there was another kid with the Tyler Durden disorder.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm no expert in these things but wouldn't Tyler be considered now like... basically an Antifa extremist? No?
Eh. Maybe only in the misguided youth area of things. I mean antifa pretend that they have a political message, but I think it's obvious that this is not true. They are just out doing rotten crap and most of them couldn't really tell you why if you knocked one out and dragged him to your basement to torture him.

-ahem-

Um. Tyler represented a social movement for men though, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Hey, so does anyone but me here know about the retcon of Tyler's nature? As of the comic, Tyler is no longer a mere manifestation of the main character's frustration but a mental disorder passed down gentically. That's the reason the main character's father had kids with with multiple other women, he wanted to make sure there was another kid with the Tyler Durden disorder.
This is a cool updated. I haven't gotten around to the Dark Horse series yet.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #8
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
LMAO, no he's not a hero.

Looking past that he's the split personality of the Narrator/Joe/Jack, Tyler is a pathetic creature who preaches self thinking, freedom and anti-consumerism but still made his own little cult who follow his every command. Anyone seeing Tyler as the hero of the Fight Club franchise completely missed the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
This is crazy to see this thread randomly appear here - especially to this audience. I love Fight Club. I've got a nice Pahluniak collection, actually.

Tyler Durden is not a hero. Not by any means. The character is a protagonist born of duality who serves as a point of conflict, but also as a catalyst for action by the narrator.

All of Tyler's actions are generally subversive - there is nothing heroic about them. However, along the way he delivers some sense of meaning to the office employee generation, which grants him a certain "heroic charm". But academically, no he is not a hero at all.

Instead, he is the unbridled action man that we all, in some small shape or another, wish we could be to escape much of the structured, rigid-establishment-like-nature of society.

Given what millenials are doing now, I'd say that Fight Club was significantly more relevant to my generation than it would ever be to millienials. They aren't the same people. If they "get it", it's likely only through their lens of perceived superiority rather than actual empathy for the subject matter. The narrative of Fight Club can definitely be cross-generational, but I'd argue adamantly that you had to be there to really have that story shake your DNA.
Quote:
But also an anarchist and an "eat the rich" sort.
Do you think he's a monster? and do you think he gave that poor clerk he threatened with a gun to his gun and stole his license for "sacrifce" PTSD?
Old 11-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #9
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
I mean antifa pretend that they have a political message, but I think it's obvious that this is not true. They are just out doing rotten crap and most of them couldn't really tell you why if you knocked one out and dragged him to your basement to torture him.

“Antifa” literally means “anti-fascist”, as in, “opposed to fascism”. Fascism is defined as “a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and of the economy”. So yeah I’d say they’re doing it for politics reasons but I’m sure you’d disagree, Mr. Kidnap-and-Torture.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
“Antifa” literally means “anti-fascist”, as in, “opposed to fascism”.
What it means and what they are are two very different things.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, they can call themselves anything they want but at the end of the day they still advocate for state-sponsored thought control - i.e., "Certain statements or even thoughts should be illegal and/or forbidden, and people who espouse them should be punished by threats and physical violence, preemptively if possible". Which is fascist. It's merely fascism they can agree with because the target is "mean people", or anyone they disagree with about anything, really.

It's like how PETA says they're all about "protecting animals" when the reality is they're just sh*t-disturbers who do a lot more harm than good. As are MOST "crusaders" of any sort. Well-intentioned miscreants at best.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #12
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
“Antifa” literally means “anti-fascist”, as in, “opposed to fascism”. Fascism is defined as “a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and of the economy”. So yeah I’d say they’re doing it for politics reasons but I’m sure you’d disagree, Mr. Kidnap-and-Torture.
Yeah, yeah I understand the nomenclature. -waves hand at legitimizing behavior by definition- I don't give them as much credit as you do, it seems.

A significant amount of those people aren't behind a political message. They are just anarchists or assholes. It's like Lord of the Flies in those circles. You have to look at the psychology a little more realistically I think, regardless of rigid definition. So yeah, I disagree.

Last edited by IMJ; 11-19-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #13
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

True, there’s always gonna be people who co-opt a movement when they have no real interest in anything other than policing the actions of others but I try to give most people the benefit of the doubt. I guess we all become jaded in different ways tho, c’est la vie
Old 02-23-2020, 09:13 PM   #14
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Do you think him putting guns to people's heads then stealing their ID cards and threatening to kill them if they don't do something else gave those people even that clerk serious PTSD and true fear? and is that makes Tyler a terrifying maniac?
Old 01-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It just kind of hit me that Ed Norton wasn't actually Tyler Durden when he wasn't in Brad Pitt mode. And according to Fight Club 2, that name is Sebastian.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:14 PM   #16
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
It just kind of hit me that Ed Norton wasn't actually Tyler Durden when he wasn't in Brad Pitt mode. And according to Fight Club 2, that name is Sebastian.
Did they give the 'Narrator" a name? Wow! I've been meaning to read those comics for years, but never got around to it...
Old 01-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Did they give the 'Narrator" a name?
Yeah, right off the bat in Fight Club 2. And it's treated like no big deal.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:40 PM   #18
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

there's a Fight Club 2??
Old 01-25-2022, 10:04 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
there's a Fight Club 2??
In comic form, written by the author of the original book. And a Fight Club 3. Like 10+ issues each. Either series could easily be a movie.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:45 AM   #20
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Should they decide to make a movie sequel, they'll do it "In memory of Meat Loaf" most likely, and hopefully they'll do it well.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote