The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 04-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Looking at old threads on this forum from when the 2k3 series just started

Most people weren't here back in 2003 when this series first started, but I think it's funny looking back at old threads from back then to see what people were thinking at the time the show first came out. Don't post in or bump up these old threads, just look through them:

This one from 2003 is pretty funny:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...ighlight=theme

There were a lot of people expecting the show to bomb or get canceled quick, and others talked about how they didn't like the designs of the Turtles or whatever.

Pretty much proves all the current complaining about the Nick show is the same thing people did when 2k3 came out, and it'll die down as the years go on. Any old threads you can find that are interesting?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
snake
Disgusting

>it's a "cybercubed gets nostalgic" episode
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Look at this one from 2004, the person wants Donatello to be April's love interest in the 4kids series:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...highlight=hate

Little did people realize they'd get their wish over a decade later when the Nick cartoon started. Really puts into perspective how long the Don/April thing has been around in the fandom.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #4
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Any old threads you can find that are interesting?
This one's pretty good.

Startin' to sound like 'Cubed here, but I can't believe I put that together five whole years ago.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Why yes Cubed, it is pretty funny. Let's break it down, although I'm not entirely sure the guy was serious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron
Let's face it people, The Ninja Turtles were a child of the 80's, without them, the Turtles are lacking.
Because there was nothing interesting done with Batman after the 30's. Seems like a silly notion to assume TMNT would not work after the decade that spawned them.

Quote:
It's interesting to see how the new cartoon's characters are adapted to the new millenium, but let's not forget that with the advent of AI and thinking computers, idiots now have an excuse to become even more stupid then they already were.
I have no idea what this even means.

Quote:
This is what I fear will happen with the new cartoon. If they have references to media and current styles and trends, the shows goning to suck, with a vengence.
Because I guess there wasn't any dumb crap back in the 80's?

Quote:
You can already see it with April O'neil being a preppy 16 year old sex pot. I really find that stupid.
"16 year old"... Oh boy, I don't know about "sex pot" (whatever that is) but it's funny that he predicted something nine years in advance.

Quote:
But the thing that probably got to me the most was the "Shell Phone". Why? Couldn't they just say 'Turtle Comm" like in the original cartoon? No. Of course not, because today's cartoons are terrible, and I want them burned.
Like burning the master tapes? Is that what he meant? Anyway, seems like a really minor difference to be upset over.

Quote:
I have fond memories of the days when I turned on the TV and knew the first thing I saw would be a mutant turtle or a Thunder Cat beating the crap out of something and not having any relation with the media. The worst you could expect from an 80's cartoon is an air-head Madonna parody with a helium voice.
Media awareness? What the hell?

Quote:
But I have this odd feeling all cartoons these days are just gonna start saying witty zingers like "You're scheme is a total failure, Shredder! Just like George W. Bush's life up until 2000!" And then the Shredder would throw a gas grenade at them or something and escape while saying "This is my final answer! WAHAHAHAHAHA." And then, kids, let's face it: the world will end.
This seems more like something out of Family Guy or South Park than kids' shows...

Quote:
So please, write your Congressmen and demand that cartoons be made 22 minute long toy commercials again, so we can enjoy them heart and soul.
I'm not saying the new turtles cartoon is bad, (except for the opening credits) I'm just saying that there are some sad excuses for cartoons out there and don't let something as kick ass as the turtles fall to ruin like that crap-fest "Transformers Armada" or "Yu-Gi-Oh". The End.
Uh... This is what seriously made me question how serious he was. How was TF Armada or Yu-Gi-Oh not 22 minute toy ads and how did they relate to the media?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I'm going to guess that Voltron was a 12-13 year old who wanted to be funny on the Internet, so he tried doing this by exaggerationing ad absurbum.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Here's a thread from way back in 2002 (goddamn, that was 14+ years ago!) asking if Krang, Bebop or Rocksteady would appear in the show:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...ighlight=krang

Reading through that thread it puts into perspective how little people knew about the Mirage comics back then. People didn't know much about TMNT beyond the original cartoon, movies, or Archie comics back then but a few.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #8
sdp
-

When I did my re-watch of 2k3 like 6 years ago or so I did exactly that and went back to when this forum first started and read all the threads and it was funny to see all the pre-first episode airing threads like the ones pointed out here.

It was also cool to see the opinions that these episodes had when they first aired, that's also why I made the "Talkback thread collection" around that time since I wanted others who wished to experience watching the show with "others" for the first time.

Quote:
Here's a thread from way back in 2002 (goddamn, that was 14+ years ago!) asking if Krang, Bebop or Rocksteady would appear in the show:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...ighlight=krang

Reading through that thread it puts into perspective how little people knew about the Mirage comics back then. People didn't know much about TMNT beyond the original cartoon, movies, or Archie comics back then but a few.
Funnily enough Krang, Rocksteady and Beebop did eventually appear in 2k3 in Turtles Forever.

It's also funny how now on the internet everyone and their mother on the internet was a fan of the original indie Mirage comics before it was "cool".
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah.

Here's another old thread from 2004 asking if the TMNT would get "girlfriends."

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...ighlight=utrom

It went on for 7 pages.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #10
Coola Yagami
Overlord

*sees topic title*

*sees who started it*

*sighs, say to himself 'figures.. who else has no life and that much free time?' and proceeds to back away slowly*

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:38 PM   #11
snake
Disgusting

The fan perception of the OT changed a lot too around here. More people ignore it or hate the show all together.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #12
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I actually did look that far back just for fun once...the ways "Ch'rell" was written before there was anything official out on the spelling was fun.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
The fan perception of the OT changed a lot too around here. More people ignore it or hate the show all together.
Not really, its just that its been discussed to death here so there's not much to talk about it anymore. The people who always disliked it will always be around, just like those who liked it. It's just that now that all the DVDs are out and people watched through it again well...there's not much to say. There's still occasionally new threads on it like just recently in the general TMNT forum.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

I wasn't around back then but I remember being surprised the show lasted more than 3 seasons. Thought season 3 was gonna be the very final one. Didn't expect it to have 7 seasons and over 100 episodes.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Yeah.

Here's another old thread from 2004 asking if the TMNT would get "girlfriends."

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...ighlight=utrom

It went on for 7 pages.
One of those guilty pleasure kind of threads, one I wasn't here for. Thanks for making me waste as much time as I did scrolling through it. (Though I'm just slightly annoyed it isn't a new one so I can't thump a person or two upside the head... I hope they have since mellowed out a bit over the years.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #16
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

For me in early-2003, TMNT was just a childhood memory. I didn't rediscover it until later during 2003, much thanks to the Internet.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:25 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Here's a dumb thread from 2006 when people were talking about the waning ratings of the 2k3 series and how they think the show, "isn't doing too well" even though it went on another 3 years till 2009:

People also blame anime or TMNT being an 80's fad for the 2k3 series not getting as high ratings. Little did people know the 4kids ratings were higher or on par with Nick's ratings now.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:21 AM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Here's a dumb thread from 2006 when people were talking about the waning ratings of the 2k3 series and how they think the show, "isn't doing too well" even though it went on another 3 years till 2009:

People also blame anime or TMNT being an 80's fad for the 2k3 series not getting as high ratings. Little did people know the 4kids ratings were higher or on par with Nick's ratings now.
I can't find anyone posting the actual ratings in that thread, what were they exactly? And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the show airing on multiple different channels, not just one?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:21 AM   #19
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I can't find anyone posting the actual ratings in that thread, what were they exactly? And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the show airing on multiple different channels, not just one?
The original series did during seasons 1-3.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 05-28-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
It aired on Fox for the majority of its run. Cartoon Network aired reruns of Seasons 1-3 for about 2 years or so as well.