The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 05-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

DC Preparing Another "Crisis"

DC will have another Crisis event soon (simply called Crisis)

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...vent-revealed/

...But apparently it may end in the erasure of Lois and Clark's marriage as well as Batman's upcoming marriage to Selina.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...man-marriages/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So stupid. Did Spider-Man's sales even go up when they retconned away his marriage?

Way to continue to piss away "Rebirth" goodwill, DC.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Vegita-San
Emperor

This is why I generally don't like comics.

there is no end game for the big companies. it's all wash, rinse, repeat, no flow.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Superman = Yep, still toxic.

Batman = Yep, still a sea of a million books, ideas, and no guiding anything.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

There is no real continuity in comics anymore. Just pick and choose what stories to read, overall continuity means nothing.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
Sumac
Banned

Aahahahaha. Making big event and then delete it.
Very comic book-like.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Why reinstate a marriage just to do away with it? Not to mention the Bat-marriage only going to be undone a year later? What is the point in even reading it even its going to go away immediately? I don't understand it and I honestly thought this anti-marriage stance was something comics had gotten over. Is Mr. Freeze going to be fixated on a cyrogenically frozen women who is several decades older again?
Old 05-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Brilliant. Just BRILLIANT.

I guess nobody thought to learn from Marvel's mistakes, huh?
Old 05-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Brilliant. Just BRILLIANT.

I guess nobody thought to learn from Marvel's mistakes, huh?
I don't understand the return to original numbering only to drop it 11 MONTHS later. Its like comic companies are bi-polar. I like married heroes and high numbered comics.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's the problem with making comics run forever or decades.

I prefer the way TV shows, cartoons or movies do things. You have one incarnation of Batman and then it ends and they reboot it for a new one.

For example we had Adam West Batman, Batman 1989, Batman: TAS, then Nolan's Batman, then the other Batman cartoons like The Batman, Brave and the Bold, etc. Instead of doing crisis and retcons, all these Batmans are reboots and exist in their own separate continuity. That way each series has a clear concise ending and then new directors/writers can just do something else without being worried about continuity.

It's the same thing with TMNT, aside from crossover universes, all the new Turtle series start over fresh in their own little universe from the start with Splinter training the Turtles, the Turtles meeting April the first time, meeting Shredder, etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

People act like it's so hard, so impossible to maintain history and continuity. Bullsh**. It's not hard to maintain that. Editors should be in charge of that, acting as watchdogs. That also doesn't mean it has to make a thing less accessible -- if they want to tell stories that aren't "continuity heavy" they can... it's pretty easy not to reference the battle with Star Blaster in #222 or whatever if you don't want to, just don't contradict it (which is where editors are supposed to come in, IMHO).
Old 05-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Horse sh*t and nonsense.
It is absolutely, inexcusably terrible that there's 8 million conflicting versions of Batman, TMNT, etc. across various media. All it leads to is confusion and a splintered fanbase, along with never-ending nerd arguing over inconsequential nonsense.

Nobody, anywhere, needs any more of that.

At most, any franchise should only have two main versions: An "all-ages" one suitable for kids, and a "proper" one aimed more for the people actually paying for the product, that can actually tell stories of consequence. They should run parallel and not contradict each other in any significant way, and it should be believable that they're still in the same "universe" even if there are differences in tone or style. There can still be "Elseworlds" or "imaginary stories" but they should be clearly labelled as such and only used sparingly.

No 20 different origins for the TMNT. No 20 different versions of Krypton or explanations why it blew up. It's not at all necessary, it's clutter, it fractures the audience, and it over-complicates things that should be simple.

"Who are the TMNT, and what is their origin?" There should be ONE ANSWER, not a hundred. Not, "Well, in this volume, it went like this, but then someone started another series, and it all went like this..." A simple question shouldn't require a 30-minute dissertation requiring charts, graphs, and Grant Morrison's Guide To The Multiverse just to get a f*cking answer.

THAT is the reason more people don't read comics. Because you can't even ask, "Who is Superman?" and get a simple straight f*cking answer anymore. By your logic, there'd inevitably be an INFINITE number of stupid, conflicting, needless alternative versions of everything under the sun. "Well, this series ran for 100 issues, let's just start over again and do it all completely different..." No. BAD.

Andrew is right; continuity absolutely matters, because people want to feel like there's a point to following these stories at all. Over-shuffling and constant restarts kills everything, ruins momentum, and makes things seem a lot more complicated than they ought to be. If anything, that Reboot button should only be hit every 20 years or so, minimum, and only as a last resort.

Anyways, you are the last person on Earth who should be speaking on how comics "ought to be". People who don't even read or understand them in the first place should stifle themselves. And any person anywhere who's either too lazy or too functionally-illiterate to read a couple TPB's has no business dictating whether continuity matters or not.

I don't know, kid. Sometimes, you amuse me. Other times, I just want to shoot you up with tranquilizers and skin you while you're still awake.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #13
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
So stupid. Did Spider-Man's sales even go up when they retconned away his marriage?

Way to continue to piss away "Rebirth" goodwill, DC.
Sales were pretty lousy for the period in between 2008 to 2010, then got better when Dan Slott took over and created the well received Superior Spider-Man series, which was about Doc Ock hijacking Peter's body, so it's success did not hinge on Peter's adventures at all. When Peter returned, the book's sales declined (as did Slott's passion for the book) and stayed at low levels until very recently when Slott announced he was leaving.

Peter's marriage has survived for most of the decade across other titles and mediums however. The newspaper strip (which can be found online at Comic Kingdom) has kept it going longer than when it was in the main canon (31 years to 616's 20 years) and recently we've had the alternate universe title Renew Your Vows which introduces a new daughter for Peter and MJ, though it's sales are not exactly healthy and it's at risk of cancellation presently.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #14
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Main reason I like anime and manga. Aside from a few exceptions, it starts and it ends. Move on to the next series. We don't have 20 Ichigos or 50 origins for Naruto floating around.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #15
ZariusTwo
Overlord

IMO, Spider-Man's story came to an end with the final regular issue of Spider-Girl, that or 2009's Clone Saga mini-series.

Marvel tried undoing the happy ending of Spider-Girl with Spider-Verse, but Mayday's creators wrote a story which essentially gave fans the OK to ignore the event if they wanted to.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #16
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
DC will have another Crisis event soon (simply called Crisis)

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...vent-revealed/

...But apparently it may end in the erasure of Lois and Clark's marriage as well as Batman's upcoming marriage to Selina.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...man-marriages/
If that's actually the case, then that's so freaking stupid.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

If I am not mistaken the three different reboot's at Marvel with three different directions playing havoc with numbering is because there were three different CEOs of Marvel. Is that correct?

That being said what could sudden reversal of marriage excuse be for DC? It remind me of how Brightest Day had just completed and its direction could never be explored because of New 52 that was decided about 60% of the way through the Brightest Day event. I was actually excited for Bruce/Selina and seeing Dick Grayson as Batman again.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #18
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Jim Lee says the rumors of a reboot are untrue: https://twitter.com/jimlee/status/99...265145857?s=21

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #19
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

How much can we believe him? Its like when a general manager says the team will not trade the closer and the very next week he is gone. I just need more than Jim Lee's tweet to validate it.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

What's even the point of divorcing Superman again? Just to try and have him date Wonder Woman for the third or fourth time again?