The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 12-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
DarkAtuin
Random Punk

Name Origin of Tokka & Rahzar

Hi dudes and dudettes,

was it ever anywhere stated what the origin or intent behind the names of Tokka and Rahzar was?

Most TMNT names were clearly based of something: historical inspiration (Leonardo, Genghis, Casey Jones), music genres (Bebop and Rocksteady), more or less bad puns (Ray Fillet, Leatherhead, Wingnut) or plain right (made-up) real world names (April O'Neil, Danny Pennington, Hamato Yoshi).

I couldn't find any clue of a language that contains the words 'Tokka' or 'Rahzar' in any way, which I find slightly strange, given the above mentioned circumstances.

The 2012 show had Mikey nicknaming he newly mutated Bradford/Dogpound as 'Rahzar' based on his sharp claws, implying that Rahzar is a corrupted form of 'razor', but given the 20 year difference between the two releases makes me doubt they asked the original creators. Also it still sounded kinda forced to keep up Mikey's 'Nickname-Giver' continuity.

The only clue I have to Tokka's origin is that it would be a very heavily corrupted form of 'tortuga' (spanish turtle/tortoise), but that would still be a bit farfetched. I also remember that Tokka was inspired by a discarded Playmates figure concept of a mutant snapping turtle called 'Terrorpin the Terrible' but that doesn't lead to much either.

The fact that their official name spelling for their brief cameo in the Fred Wolf cartoon was messed up as 'Toka' and 'Razar' adds more confusion to this matter.
DarkAtuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:47 AM   #2
ToTheNines
[sic]

We had a spirited discussion about this years ago that ended up getting locked lol. Didn’t really get anywhere other than people pointing out that Eastman likely named them both, and one scholar here was convinced that Tokka was a portmanteau of Godzilla/Gamera, with another being reasonably certain that Tokka sounded like it was from a “tribal river language”.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 12-14-2020 at 08:35 AM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:39 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

Eastman designed & named them both, he probably just made up whatever he thought was a cool monster name. I doubt there's much more to it than that.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:24 AM   #4
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Was it ever addressed why a second evil turtle was created so soon after Slash? Also, I can understand a wolf being vicious, but a snapping turtle? Not knocking Tokka, but I am curious.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:27 PM   #5
Sumac
Banned

Always thought Rahzar is "broken" razor.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
Galactus
Foot Elite

I'd be willing to bet they were just names that sounded cool.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Always thought Rahzar is "broken" razor.
That's what I sort of got from it too - like a nod to his sharp teeth and claws.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #8
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
That's what I sort of got from it too - like a nod to his sharp teeth and claws.
Always wondered about this too. Thanks for sharing!
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:49 AM   #9
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Have any better images of Eastman's concept art for T/R ever surfaced?
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #10
Rabbit Kraken Zeo
Random Punk

One thing that comes to mind is; the most hysterical detail part of Tokka & Rahzar and their appearance in secret of the ooze was Mikey's initial reaction when they meet for the first time "didn't we see these guys on wrestlemania?" pretty funny to be honest.
Rabbit Kraken Zeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Was it ever addressed why a second evil turtle was created so soon after Slash? Also, I can understand a wolf being vicious, but a snapping turtle? Not knocking Tokka, but I am curious.
I guess it depends on who created Slash. Tokka was, I guess, Eastman and Laird's evil turtle.

I don't understand the logic behind them fighting tooth and nail to keep Bebop and Rocksteady out but make these two literal babies. I'm thinking maybe they really wanted to not have mutated humans, but then you have Super Shredder.

I always assumed super shredder happened if you had contact with mutant but weren't around any other animal or I guess in the movie/mirage versions the ooze just makes things bigger or evolves them and that's what happens when a human gets exposed to it. To be honest we rarely see the ooze in the comics, it literally is just the Turtles, Splinter and Leatherhead. I guess Bloodsucker counts.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:57 AM   #12
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I guess it depends on who created Slash. Tokka was, I guess, Eastman and Laird's evil turtle.

I don't understand the logic behind them fighting tooth and nail to keep Bebop and Rocksteady out but make these two literal babies. I'm thinking maybe they really wanted to not have mutated humans, but then you have Super Shredder.

I always assumed super shredder happened if you had contact with mutant but weren't around any other animal or I guess in the movie/mirage versions the ooze just makes things bigger or evolves them and that's what happens when a human gets exposed to it. To be honest we rarely see the ooze in the comics, it literally is just the Turtles, Splinter and Leatherhead. I guess Bloodsucker counts.
I was in preschool when my favorite Ninja Turtles film came out. 4 further films it still is. My biggest gripe when I was 4 is still my biggest gripe, Super Shredder dropped the pier on himself and assumed a suicide/ murder would happen or he would walk away and the Turtles would be dead? There was no actual fight! It's like the hype of The Pantheon's father The Dragon, culminating in #100, was there a fight? No, not really.

Okay rant over.

The ifantile intellect is probably the way to make them vulnerable to be defeated. Bebop and Rocksteady are brawn without brains and this is pretty much the same only the excuse is the level of cognitive development of Razhar and Tokka.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:16 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I was in preschool when my favorite Ninja Turtles film came out.
Well... that certainly explains how "Secret of the Ooze" can be your favorite Ninja Turtles film.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:56 AM   #14
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

You are hilarious, ya bronie.

More so than the names themselves, I have wondered what made a snapping turtle is "the most vicious animal that Tatsu could find"? They could not break into a zoo? There is likely something more vicious even in the wild around the five boroughs.