The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #261
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Jared Krichevsky, who also worked on Maleficent, was apparently the artist who came up with the idea to give them different kinds of clothing and gadgets to wear. I know that the majority of users on this board were not fans of that movie either.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/teena...hevsky-a109641
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #262
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Man, I hope they just skip over the origin altogether if possible. Honestly I've never liked any of them. I think the origin is the worst part of the TMNT mythos. No matter the incarnation it always feels convoluted as hell. Then again, if you skip the origin, you miss out on that personal connection between Shredder and Splinter. So we're doomed to forever see reimaginings to bring us to the status quo. Ah well.

I'm wildly indifferent to this reboot until I see something. The producers don't give me any hope, and the writer doesn't have enough experience to give a fair assessment (though I did enjoy Bad Words for whatever thats worth).

But yeah, I can't even think of what kind of news they can deliver that would get me hyped. IDW Turtles? Mirage Turtles? TMNT: Into the Turtleverse? All of these things would fall flat for me. I'm not gonna get invested in this until I see which director gets attached. My guess is it'll be someone with no real success or failure to their name. It'll be like "From the director of xXx: Return of Xander Cage". Yay.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong but yeah, my hearts just not in it anymore.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #263
Leo656
The Franchise

I'll never understand the recent trend of people hating origin stories. Historically, they're usually the best and most interesting story in a characters' entire catalog; it's generally downhill from there, or at least meandering and repetitive.

I mean, I guess I can almost understand the, "But I've seen it a thousand times!" perspective, but... I'unno. They're necessary. ((shrug))

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #264
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I like origin movies. I just have never liked any origin of the TMNT.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #265
Leo656
The Franchise

Which is kinda weird, because with the origin intact, the whole TMNT story is only MOSTLY stupid. Without it, it's completely stupid. I feel like that's the only thing grounding it, so it's SUPER important to get it right.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #266
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'll never understand the recent trend of people hating origin stories. Historically, they're usually the best and most interesting story in a characters' entire catalog; it's generally downhill from there, or at least meandering and repetitive.

I mean, I guess I can almost understand the, "But I've seen it a thousand times!" perspective, but... I'unno. They're necessary. ((shrug))
Yeah, I'm still waiting to see a GOOD TMNT film with their origin. I'm also waiting on Michael Jordan and Larry Bird to ask me out for a game of pickup basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
My guess is it'll be someone with no real success or failure to their name. It'll be like "From the director of xXx: Return of Xander Cage". Yay.
Even THAT would be an improvement over what we last had.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #267
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Just give me a dark TMNT, please.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #268
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Yeah, I'm still waiting to see a GOOD TMNT film with their origin. I'm also waiting on Michael Jordan and Larry Bird to ask me out for a game of pickup basketball.
The first movie was good. Stop it.

That's another new-ish trend I can't abide, people insisting that the 1990 movie was bad. Good grief.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #269
Prowler
Emperor

At this point I don't even know what TMNT is anymore. I know some of you love the Multiverses thing, but having a billion different versions of the story, characters, etc. can't be a good thing. People begin to question what the identity of the characters truly is.

It's like the only things that should be unchangeable in the eyes of the audience are pizza and cracking jokes every 3 minutes.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #270
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
Just give me a dark TMNT, please.
Never happen, man. You gotta lower them expectations.

"Just give me a not-$hitty TMNT, please."

Actually, that's still too high. Lower.

"Just give me a non-kiddy TMNT, please, even if it sucks."

Nope, we're still not low enough.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #271
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

They need to get Travis Knight to direct this TMNT reboot. He did such an awesome job for Bumblebee.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #272
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
The first movie was good. Stop it.

That's another new-ish trend I can't abide, people insisting that the 1990 movie was bad. Good grief.
It's not BAD, it's just not good enough. Leo and Don barely do anything in the movie, it was all Raph for character development and Mike for comic relief.

And those baby Turtle puppets, shiver.

So I'll give it 3.5 or 4 out of 5 stars, but there were still some flaws.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #273
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
It's not BAD, it's just not good enough. Leo and Don barely do anything in the movie, it was all Raph for character development and Mike for comic relief.

I really liked how Raph got a lot of attention in the movie since he was my favourite Turtle, but Donatello disappointed me. Corey Feldman as Donatello was just...
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #274
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
At this point I don't even know what TMNT is anymore. I know some of you love the Multiverses thing, but having a billion different versions of the story, characters, etc. can't be a good thing. People begin to question what the identity of the characters truly is.
I agree, generally. On one hand, it gives creators a nice "out" for when things don't match - "OH! That story happened on Earth-_!" - but in practice, all it does is confuse the ever-loving sh*t out of new fans.

I grew up in the 80s as a DC fan, when they'd just recently wiped out their entire Multiverse in favor of one set continuity, and any earlier stories that didn't fit were simply discarded as "imaginary". Some people threw a fit, but I can tell you from experience, there has NEVER been an easier time period to break into a fandom than being a DC fan in the Post-Crisis years. Not just speaking for myself, but for the many people I've turned on to comics by providing them stories from that era (and ONLY that era; let 'em figure the rest out for themselves if they want, I'm not trying to confuse anyone who's just getting started after all).

When even Superman and Batman have twenty different origin stories, it's beyond nonsense. Conceptually, I understand the "need" for a Multiverse, but in practice, it only actually works if you don't actually use it. "Well, the REAL stories take place on Earth-1... we have a bunch of other ones, but we only tinker with them once every few years for maximum contrast." That's the only way it works, otherwise you just confuse people with all the contradictory stuff.

George Carlin said it best: "Too many choices isn't healthy."

Quote:

I'll take any puppets over CGI, any day, all day, every day.

Leo had an arc. It was parallel to Raph's and not as pronounced, but he had an arc, so that's alright.

It damn well BETTER be "good enough", because I got news for you and everybody else: That's the all-time best TMNT movie you're ever gonna get, and if that don't make you happy, then jump ship and bring a vest.

I know, I know... "You like to complain." Well, enjoy, this franchise will definitely keep you busy forever if THAT's your bag.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #275
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I'll take any puppets over CGI, any day, all day, every day.

Leo had an arc. It was parallel to Raph's and not as pronounced, but he had an arc, so that's alright.

It damn well BETTER be "good enough", because I got news for you and everybody else: That's the all-time best TMNT movie you're ever gonna get, and if that don't make you happy, then jump ship and bring a vest.

I know, I know... "You like to complain." Well, enjoy, this franchise will definitely keep you busy forever if THAT's your bag.
Oh, definitely. The Henson suits still stand up to this day! But those puppets were not on the same level.

If Leo's arc is there, it's extremely subtle... I haven't watched it in a few years, but I'll keep an eye out. I don't remember him getting to do much except take care of Raph after the defeat and spearhead things out at Northampton. Other than that, goofy jokes with Donny and Mike.

And you're right. It IS the best TMNT film we'll ever get. Unless somebody like Guillermo de Toro, James Gunn, or James Wan or somebody with some heft steps up and says "Gimme those damn Turtles, I can make a killer movie with them."

Honestly, that's what it's going to take. Somebody with cred and a rep stepping up and delivering it. "From the director of GOTG/Hellboy/Aquaman" or some $hit.

I don't look at it as complaining; I look at it as having extremely high expectations.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #276
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Which is kinda weird, because with the origin intact, the whole TMNT story is only MOSTLY stupid. Without it, it's completely stupid. I feel like that's the only thing grounding it, so it's SUPER important to get it right.
It’s like the Rube Goldberg Machine of origin stories. A young boy carrying turtles gets pushed out of the way by another boy (possibly Matt Murdock) to save a blind man from getting hit by a truck causing the turtles to fall safely down a sewer before the truck doors fly open, hurling a bottle of alien ooze down the drain onto the turtles, where a rat who knew martial arts (pre-mutation!) was collecting them (for some reason) to later train them to be lethal assassins.

And that’s only the second half of the origin story.

Look, i love TMNT above and beyond all other comic book properties but that’s a freakin’ reeeeaaaach, man.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #277
Shinigami
Thug

Quote:

But I’ve seen it a thousand times!
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #278
Shinigami
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I really liked how Raph got a lot of attention in the movie since he was my favourite Turtle, but Donatello disappointed me. Corey Feldman as Donatello was just...
Donatello has always been my favorite turtle and 1990 has always been my favorite movie, but I HATE Corey Feldman as Donnie! Makes no sense whatsoever. He could maybe be Mikey, but I’d never give up Robbie Rist.
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #279
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
It’s like the Rube Goldberg Machine of origin stories. A young boy carrying turtles gets pushed out of the way by another boy (possibly Matt Murdock) to save a blind man from getting hit by a truck causing the turtles to fall safely down a sewer before the truck doors fly open, hurling a bottle of alien ooze down the drain onto the turtles, where a rat who knew martial arts (pre-mutation!) was collecting them (for some reason) to later train them to be lethal assassins.

Look, i love TMNT above and beyond all other comic book properties but that’s a freakin’ reeeeaaaach, man.
- An entire council of scientists refuses to pay any attention to, allegedly, the smartest of them all, when he says the entire planet is about to explode, despite visible evidence of such happening more or less rightoverthere. Scientist believes the best hope for salvation is to strap his newborn son into a bottle rocket and slingshot him through a wormhole, in the hopes that he'll land somewhere a little warmer, and thus maybe, just maybe, he'll be able to shoot lasers out of his eyes when he's old enough. Planet full of dumbasses explodes about five minutes after they all looked out the window and unanimously decided nothing was wrong.

- As an extension of same, godlike alien being lands on Earth as a baby. Grows up and decides NOT to take over the world, declare himself "Lord Super King Big Nuts", and kill anyone who looks at him sideways, as any normal person would. No, he instead puts on a brightly-colored diving suit and devotes his life to getting cats out of trees, because his adopted parents taught him to say "Please" and "Thank You."

- 10-year old rich boy watches his parents get murdered in front of him. So, he maintains a state of arrested development, spends his teenage years drinking away the pain and sticking needles in his arm while casually using women for sex and buying his way out of a series of increasingly-felonious behavior, all while claiming that he's entitled to act this way because of the lousy hand life dealt him, then finally drops dead at 26 from a fatal overdose because that's how it goes in real life, right? NO, you silly goose! He instead spends his teen years studying and training hard enough to be a world-class expert in literally EVERY thing, so he can put on a Halloween costume and get revenge on the guy who killed his parents by... beating the sh*t out of many, many people who are NOT That Guy. Because that's logical and rational.

- Nerd gets bit by radioactive spider. Rather than kill him, it makes him awesome. SO awesome, his hands and feet stick to walls despite the fact that he's wearing gloves and boots! Nerd develops incredibly powerful and unique adhesive agent; keeps it to himself, rather than patent it and make millions of dollars. Has sex with and marries a supermodel, despite being an unemployed photographer (this part is the MOST implausible thing in the entire story, or ANY story ever told).

- Police scientist gets hit by lightning AND an entire rack of chemicals. Does NOT instantly become a puddle of fried guts and pus. Instead, suffers NO physical damage, but can now move fast enough to go back in time and f*ck everything up for everyone else because he misses his Mommy.
-------------------

I could go on for days. Point being, ANYthing is stupid if you go into it refusing to play along with the premise.

This has also gotta be the Very First Time I've talked to anyone who's actually read more than three comics in their life who has put TMNT at the top. I mean, you do you, but... having read at least some of each TMNT series, I frankly don't think ANY of it is very good. ((Shrugs))

Not knocking you, but I could never even consider the notion that TMNT are any better than Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Flash... feel free to try and explain it, I probably won't change my mind but I'd definitely be interested in hearing the How and Why.
-------------

Feldman's the only Donatello who's not a complete dweeb, y'all motherf*ckers need Jesus.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:58 PM   #280
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I think it's more likely we'll get a comedy oriented pixar/Disney like CG TMNT film than a movie anyone here wants to see.
Can't see an animated movie happening.

Going back and forth between live action and animated movies is just going to confuse people. Before anyone draws a comparison to Spider-Man having both a live action and animated movie series running at the same time, Spider-Man is a character who can support it.

Not to mention for all the praise Into The Spider-Verse is getting (deservedly so) while a commercial success it wont make the kind of bank the live action features will. I don't think Viacom bought the franchise to make small change.

Quote:
What I sense is, they can tell that the bloom is already off the rose, "New Turtlemania" is dying fast, and they want to rush out one more movie and cash in while people still care at all, and after that the fans are probably in for another "long winter". The moves they're making across the board are not consistent with people who feel they have an "evergreen" property that's just been slightly mishandled; they're consistent with desperate people who are worried they're running out of ways to milk the cow.
This third era of turtle revival is already dead as far as I'm concerned. We're in the Next Mutation/Fast Forward phase of things. Let's do something drastically different in a last ditch effort to launch another wave.

More than that I think they blew their one chance of launching a big movie series for this generation.

As much as everything we heard of the 2014 movie sent up big red flags at least people were talking. As trash as that trailer was I still had a tinge of excitement of "wow it's actually real. TMNT in a modern big budget movie". Crappy designs aside it was pretty cool seeing Leo somersault off the water tower. I imagine for a lot of young kids who loved the 2012 animated series it was their first time seeing these characters in a real environment, not a cartoon and feeling like I did when I first saw clips of the then upcoming 1990 TMNT movie and thinking it looked real which was of course the huge selling point of the original movie that they even put it on the poster "Hey dudes, this is no cartoon".

Problem is you can't unsee all of that. It's more than just those movies sucked and people are cynical about the next reboot it's just you can't replicate that feeling again. Even if the cgi is better and designs are on point, even if a minor miracle happens and it's actually good it's not going to have quite the same impact.

Quote:

See, I actually think TMNT's origin story works perfectly for a movie. It already does what most Hollywood adaptions of the comic book movies do if it's not already in the source and connect their heroes to their antagonists because it arguably makes a better narrative arc.

Joken kills Bruce Wayne's parents (Batman '89) Ra's Al Ghul trains Bruce Wayne (Batman Begins) Otto Octavius is Peter Parker's teacher (Spider-Man 2) Curt Conners worked with Peter's father (Amazing Spider-Man) Tony Stark creates Ultron (Avengers 2) and so on. It's not always necessary to make a good movie but material is ripe for a movie.

The second part with their mutation is stupid, not really that much more stupid than most superhero origins but I've always maintained there are ways to frame that so it doesn't seem so ridiculous.

Imagine Splinter and the four adolescent turtles going to whats left of Yoshi and Shen's apartment. Splinter looks at a a photo of Yoshi and Shen and we see his sadness. He walks downstairs to the dojo and picks up katana that's fallen from the weapons rack - we see a flash of memory of Yoshi practicing with it - we wanders over to other fallen weapons - we see more flashes of Yoshi practicing various martial arts moves - he looks back at the four turtles we know what he's going to do.

Something like that would make the whole rat knows ninjitsu thing seem more realistic and maybe even a little bad ass.

I'm a traditionalist so I'd prefer something along the lines of the comic book origin with the ooze but it doesn't have to be that way. For all the meltdowns of Bay making the turtles and Splinter aliens I maintain if that was the only change it might have been okay. The hate Bay received for that is that we knew it wasn't going to that way.

Same with a lab origin. It may be fanboy kewl but them being parts of some kind of animal testing for a super soldier scheme programming Yoshi's martial arts skills into Splinter and increasing his and the turtles strength would have been fine. A traffic accident moving the test animals to the beta site sends the turtles and Splinter down the sewers and we can begin.

The why is really more important than the how. That's something both Platinum Dunes movies really screwed up with. What motivates these characters to fight each other.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
just.. why?, kill me now, papenbrook the troll, thedefinitionofinsanity, vote of no confidence