The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #21
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
I am guessing there is a nostalgia factor going on here? Archie could be pretty preachy and juvenile. The writer's preference for Raph and Don (even without the future versions) was pretty blatant. And the Hitler brain thing was some acid trip ****. That said, I do appreciate that it created some very cool plots. I am thinking of buying a bunch of it off of Comixology and want to know where it starts getting good (e.g. serialized, Chris Allan's art mostly, not very kiddie).
Oh yeah, absolutely! I'd likely only be able to stomach a revival for a limited time... lol!

But I also think that there is something appealing about picking up one of those books, pounding through the story as a quick diversion knowing that I'm not reading "War & Peace", and then putting it down. Those books were basic "escapism" reads; and the line work and figures are probably the only time I've ever enjoyed that sort-of animated, "Gumby", rubber-person art.

Give some consideration to building an actual run of the Archie print books as opposed to a Comixology set. There's a helluva hunt to be had, and there's enough variation in mini's and one shots to keep it interesting without becoming too outlandish. I'm sure that most of my remaining interest in the Archie books is about completing the set, which goes much deeper than the low print run issues - some of those Kay-B-Toys variants went to 7th printings and are now super HTF. So maybe the completist in me keeps that fire burning a bit.

I'd entertain the idea of supporting an Archie revival, but I would definitely still be all-in on a two-volume Archie omnibus.

Last edited by IMJ; 10-25-2019 at 11:11 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:30 AM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's weird, I wouldn't necessarily like to see Archie stuff recycled or "reimagined" into other TMNT universes... but a straight-up Archie TMNT Adventures continuation? I'd buy that. But only if there's predominately Mitchroney and/or Allan art.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #23
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's weird, I wouldn't necessarily like to see Archie stuff recycled or "reimagined" into other TMNT universes... but a straight-up Archie TMNT Adventures continuation? I'd buy that. But only if there's predominately Mitchroney and/or Allan art.
That would be the way to go, for sure!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #24
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I find myself on the other end actually. I want Forever War to wrap it up. Now, if I was in 3rd grade and soon all there would is Image of course my preferred TMNT to continue onward. Yet now I want to see how The Sons of Silence and Chien Khan might be worked in opposed to post-Forever War.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:07 PM   #25
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I wasn't very impressed with that series, I'd probably read such a continuation since I think the problems stem more from excecution than concept, but I wouldn't exactly care if it ever gets made or not.

For some reason, seeing characters like Maligna, the Gang of Four, Manmoth, Jagwar, Null and Dreadmon run around in modern comics seems more strange to me than most other non-Mirage characters. I get Fred Wolf characters like Bebop and Rocksteady, they were never actually good characters but it's what """everyone""" happens to """remember""" about TMNT. And I kinda get toy "characters" like Mutagen Man and Wyrm because they were kinda neat toys. And 4Kids characters make sense because they're somewhat recognisable and characters like Bishop can pretty much fit into anything.

But there's something "off" about having the Archie characters run around and I can't put my finger on why. Maybe because I consider them obscure and from a comic I don't see the appeal in, or maybe it's because IDW's depiction of them bare so little resemblance to their original depiction? Not sure, leaning towards the latter considering how relatively faithfully the FW and 4Kids characters are depicted.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:11 AM   #26
Chris
Mad Scientist

As others have said, this is a lot harder to pick than Mirage due to how serialized the story is.

I remember really enjoying the Krang War arc (17-20) back when it came out. 50 is a notable stand out for the death of Shredder and bringing the first mega arc to a close. More recently I loved Sophie Campbell's Leonardo Macro issue.

I've fallen into a bit of a habit of not reading for a few months, even a year, then reading a load of arcs together. Just caught up with the last few this weekend and now very excited for Shredder in Hell, City at War and #100, plus the new direction coming in 101.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote