The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #41
Vegita-San
Emperor

Krang After April,

another plot point not really expanded on much and forgotten about :/..

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #42
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Krang After April,

another plot point not really expanded on much and forgotten about :/..
Not really, they needed her to perfect the mutagen, the "Into Dimension X" episode cleared it up on why they stopped chasing her. They apparently found another way to perfect the mutagen. The episode starts with Leatherhead going "The Kraang perfected the mutagen, they're about to..."

Also around this time with have Irma (Kraang SubPrime) shadowing April.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #43
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I never understood the love for the first season, it's ok at best. All the world building they did with each season is what made the show great for me, some character design choices and the horror boner the writers had are the biggest problems IMHO.
The horror boner came from the writing team that didn't write Season 1. I can't speak for everyone but personally, I love the portrayal of the characters throughout the entirety of that first season, and that pretty much does it all for me. I definitely enjoy the stiffer animation as they really took advantage of the smaller budget but there are effectively entire episodes in Season 1 that are about nothing that are miles more entertaining to me than some of the more story-driven episodes of the later seasons based off writing alone.

I'm not even just talking about humor -- although S1 understood the characters and their dynamics incredibly well making for a load of absolute knee-slapper scenes (seriously, rewatch and note how many times a joke is made, there are a LOT whether they land or not; they land for me almost every time though). But even in more serious moments, every character has a good, understandable motivation giving action scenes weight and no matter WHAT, you can always expect these characters to act like themselves, and do things that make the most sense to them.

I feel like after the first season, this was completely thrown out the window. There were no more fun character dynamics, humor took a back-seat to poor dramatic writing, as time went on action scenes had less and less weight to them. The only thing that really stayed was motivation but without all the ingredients that go into good writing, it hardly matters. Couple that with plot amnesia (anyone wanna tell me where the hell Kurtzman went? No? Okay) and a general lack of focus and it's clear why most fans regard Season 1 as their favorite.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
(anyone wanna tell me where the hell Kurtzman went? No? Okay) and a general lack of focus and it's clear why most fans regard Season 1 as their favorite.
They show him recover with the Mutanimals after that ep he gets knocked out, I forget if it was in Season 3 or 4. He didn't really need to appear after that. Just because characters stop appearing I wouldn't say it's plot amnesia, it's the same as any show where characters don't have a reason to show up anymore.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:25 AM   #45
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They show him recover with the Mutanimals after that ep he gets knocked out, I forget if it was in Season 3 or 4. He didn't really need to appear after that. Just because characters stop appearing I wouldn't say it's plot amnesia, it's the same as any show where characters don't have a reason to show up anymore.
Kurtzman's involvement was due to the Kraang, we didn't see him again after they were defeated. I liked his character though, if Ciro had done the story prior to the apocalypse I wonder if he would have come back given it involved the Kraang.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #46
Tarris Vaal
Stone Warrior

I liked the idea of Kurtzman, he seemed an interesting concept to explore and could have been used to open up other unfinished threads like April's background. I'd be quite open to seeing a similar character appear in a future iteration.

Its a shame there was a lot of unresolved and/or story threads - 2012 had a huge amount of good ideas, they just rarely seemed to have the time and space to follow up on them. I can sympathise - and this is a song I've sung before regarding 2012 - but the short episode times did them no favours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-sedisverse
Tarris Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

Considering they wrapped up all the story plots they wanted, (even if some were just given nods like Mutagen Man's empty body canister), I don't see the problem. Some of the things people come up with like April's mother are people's personal fanfiction rather than what was portrayed in the series.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #48
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Huh. I don't remember that one at all. The last time I remember seeing him was when he got knocked out so that's why I brought him up. It felt like a pretty unceremonious way for a character like that to go out. I still feel like he could've been used much more even after the Kraang were similarly unceremoniously defeated but I must've missed an episode.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #49
Garfield
Hench Mutant

I didn't really feel hyped from the beginning. But if you want to know my overall opinion. Its my least favorite animated Ninja Turtles cartoon. There are things about the cartoon that I like. But my major gripes are that it never had a consistent tone, and I felt that there was a lack of confidence in the original ideas. It always seemed like they had to pay homages, give shout outs or parody something from older Ninja Turtle properties. A little bit of that is fine but I felt that they did it too much. The biggest culprit to me is when they changed Dogpound. They mutated him and changed his name to Rahzar. They had a unique character in Dogpund who had an excellent design so they mutated him again and called him Rahzar... It seems like it was done just to reference the Ninja Turtles 2 movie.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

Dogpound was a real boring design and I'm glad they changed him. I always thought Dogpound looked ridiculous from his first reveal.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #51
SaurusX
Random Punk

Quote:
Dogpound was a real boring design and I'm glad they changed him. I always thought Dogpound looked ridiculous from his first reveal.
I agree about Dogpound. I'm sure the animators hated trying to move that huge puppet around.
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #52
nylemon

When it premiered in 2012, 2k3 still have deep impress on me and by that time I was not ready for a totally brand new style tmnt cartoon. So I just followed a few episodes, and gived up watching. Durning this 6 years I rewatched old tmnt movies, new PD movies and 2k3 but still leave nick cartoon uncovered. Cause I thought it's just not my type.

Then I was busy recently and I was thinking 20 mins tmnt will be a good breaktime and besides I never saw nick cartoons so I just picked it up.

I finished watching all 5 season and my feeling's like : It has so many unfinished lines, Mikey's kinda annoying and stupid and Raphael's afraid of insects instead of too angry, too aggressive being his weakness. And space episodes are weak too.

But I still love the show. I think 2th season is the first peak. Through out the whole seasons there are many good writing episodes. And season 5 show a possibility that tmnt can be good writing on 'tales'(I really like this season).

After all tmnt is more like a franchise to me. It represents my youth age. I am really touched when I saw the last scene they take a group picture in "Raphael: Mutant Apocalypse". Just like them, we're getting old, youth good time passed, but life's still beautiful, for the past, present, and future...

It's 23 o'clock in china. I am really emotional now.