Banned

Check this out

Too lazy to make a proper thread, but beggars can't be choosers. Enjoy

https://www.reddit.com/r/TMNT/commen...ndan_mccarthy/
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

I love how so much of the time, when someone wants to "get creative" with the TMNT concept, their go-to is: "What if... (dramatic pause) ...there were FIVE of them?"

Also: "Dark Turtle", covered in armor... how very early-00s indeed.

All we'd need is a scene where one of the Turtles throws a match on the ground to reveal a giant flaming "TMNT" logo written in gasoline, along with Finger Eleven and a bunch of NuMetal bands on the soundtrack, and we've got f*cking Bingo.

We've dodged so many bullets with this franchise, I swear. The stuff that comes out is mostly-crap, but then you see the stuff we DIDN'T get, and it's like... Yikes. Does ANYONE understand this f*cking franchise? Guess not.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

I've never been sold on a fifth turtle, so I can't disagree there. The movie probably would have been yet another TMNT log to throw on the fire.

That said, I love McCarthy's designs. He also worked on the first film and I think he does a great job. It's like what Platinum Dunes was going for, but done well. Imo, at least. I know some people don't like the clothing and I get that, but I think it works when done tastefully. For one thing, it makes a better disguise than a mask, and for another, it's an effective way to showcase character - just don't go overboard. Like, Donatello doesn't need to always be the nerd wearing goggles. It's more about the turtles making an attempt to belong or fit in, the way I see it.
Also, the description on the first page about mixing elements of Men in Black, The Matrix, and Crouching Tiger sounds much more interesting than what we got in most of the other films. I think, even with the fifth turtle, this had some potential.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:27 PM   #4
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I love how so much of the time, when someone wants to "get creative" with the TMNT concept, their go-to is: "What if... (dramatic pause) ...there were FIVE of them?"
I know, right? I hate the idea of a fifth turtle.

It's one of the reasons I dislike the likes of Venus, and Jennika.

This guy on Reddit basically sums it up for me perfectly:

Quote:
Right? I've never been a fan of it either. The four personalities bring the balance and symmetry as brothers. They are the same, but different. That added element of the "fifth turtle" is totally not needed. Like them pushing Jennika in the current IDW comics. My theory is this is a total Kevin Eastman thing. I think it's one of the reasons that really push him and Laird apart. Laird never liked the idea of Venus back in the day. I'm guessing this concept is the idea of Kirby and Slash mixed.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:34 PM   #5
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I like the designs a lot.... but the 5th turtle thing. never liked it. IDW handled the 5th turtle the best, but still was never a fan. Still, my teenage self would have loved this.

This is... a far better concept than what eventually ended up on screen. Had this been made instead... in all of its cheesy glory, I would be defending it probably... while still pointing out its flaws. It reminds me of a very late 90's thing. it's almost reminiscent of Image's (Vol. 3) turtles.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:39 PM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I've seen a number of those McCarthy pieces before but there are a few that are new to me!

Since it seems that every concept that does make it into a movie is a recycled concept from a movie that never got made, I think the "Dark Turtle" costume probably inspired Raphael's "Nightwatcher" getup from the Imagi 2007 film.

I liked the original concept so much, I worked it into the only TMNT fan comic I ever completed!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-08-2021 at 02:46 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:12 PM   #7
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I've seen a number of those McCarthy pieces before but there are a few that are new to me!

Since it seems that every concept that does make it into a movie is a recycled concept from a movie that never got made, I think the "Dark Turtle" costume probably inspired Raphael's "Nightwatcher" getup from the Imagi 2007 film.

I liked the original concept so much, I worked it into the only TMNT fan comic I ever completed!
Winters, I adore Nothing To Fear... It's short but I really love the way you laid it out. one of the better fan comics I have seen.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
Winters, I adore Nothing To Fear... It's short but I really love the way you laid it out. one of the better fan comics I have seen.
Thanks so much! I started the project before I knew anything about digital color/editing projects like Gimp, so I'd like to think if I had known some things, my linework and paneling could be a bit cleaner. I actually did the ink work with a standard pen, which doesn't always mesh well with the scanning/digital color process. That said, there is some artistic charm in those drawings that I have a hard time recapturing these days.

View my sketch work!
Old 01-08-2021, 04:46 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Another movie idea about a "5th turtle?"

I fall asleep.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:07 PM   #10
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

I fall asleep.
Yup. I mean, again, Jennika kinda worked in IDW... I loved her as Splinter's apprentice BUT... when Eastman and Sophie rolled with the idea of turning her into #5, I dunno... part of the reason I dropped out at #100. I miss talking to CKD and others about the comic, but yeah...

The TMNT has so much potential for so many stories in comics and film... if you're just gonna resort to a 5th turtle, I mean... it's kinda lazy. And boring!
Old 01-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #11
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

I fall asleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
Yup. I mean, again, Jennika kinda worked in IDW... I loved her as Splinter's apprentice BUT... when Eastman and Sophie rolled with the idea of turning her into #5, I dunno... part of the reason I dropped out at #100. I miss talking to CKD and others about the comic, but yeah...

The TMNT has so much potential for so many stories in comics and film... if you're just gonna resort to a 5th turtle, I mean... it's kinda lazy. And boring!
All the McCarthy artwork is inspired by mid-1990s 4th movie concepts when the 5th Mutant Ninja Turtle hadn't yet been done (if you don't count Slash or Tokka). It was one possible direction from Eastman's "Kirby" Turtle concepts.

If you want to see a fan imagining of how Kirby might have been incorporated into 1990s tie-in media, check out the free and fully built MUGEN fighter "TMNTxJustice League"... with major update forthcoming in 2021!

View my sketch work!
Old 01-08-2021, 07:35 PM   #12
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
All the McCarthy artwork is inspired by mid-1990s 4th movie concepts when the 5th Mutant Ninja Turtle hadn't yet been done (if you don't count Slash or Tokka). It was one possible direction from Eastman's "Kirby" Turtle concepts.

If you want to see a fan imagining of how Kirby might have been incorporated into 1990s tie-in media, check out the free and fully built MUGEN fighter "TMNTxJustice League"... with major update forthcoming in 2021!
Now, hang on a minute... when I think about Kirby, the long-lost 5th turtle, Eastman's concept as a tribute to Jack, I get all fuzzy inside. I mean, yeah... I don't like the 5th turtle idea... at al... but then somebody invokes Kirby and I get kinda weird. Apart from a non-Renaissance sounding name, I love Kirby... this is what I always think of:

Old 01-08-2021, 08:21 PM   #13
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Looks like Slash.

Maybe he’s the 5th turtle all this time.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:41 PM   #14
Powder
So tired of this place

This is old news, really. Part of the development process for the early 2000's "Hallmark" movie, if I'm not mistaken. The turtles would be coming of age, struggling to find their identity, Splinter's mind would be ailing a bit & he'd get lost (eventually found at an amusement park), an evil turtle from space, Kirby, would be the villain but ultimately become their "brother". Didn't get too far into the process beyond all this concept art, as far as I know. It was on his website for years.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:13 AM   #15
AquaParade
Banned

Not exactly old news. Some of these pieces have never been seen before. Most of them, yeah.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:18 PM   #16
sweatyhong
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

Also: "Dark Turtle", covered in armor... how very early-00s indeed.

All we'd need is a scene where one of the Turtles throws a match on the ground to reveal a giant flaming "TMNT" logo written in gasoline, along with Finger Eleven and a bunch of NuMetal bands on the soundtrack, and we've got f*cking Bingo.

We've dodged so many bullets with this franchise, I swear. The stuff that comes out is mostly-crap, but then you see the stuff we DIDN'T get, and it's like... Yikes. Does ANYONE understand this f*cking franchise? Guess not.
I get a little annoyed when they try to shoe horn in a 5th for some reason. The original 4 seem so perfect.
sweatyhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:21 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah. Pretty much, if you've honestly run out of ideas with the TMNT so much that you need to bring in a fifth Turtle in only the fourth movie... you really don't have any business writing TMNT.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote