The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #1
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Raph as the leader instead of Leo

Quote:
“We wanted to make another reason to love Leo besides being the leader. Now, he’s letting Raph be the leader because he’s just not ready for that role yet.” @Ward_Ant on the leadership shift in Rise of the TMNT

#NickSDCC #TMNT35
https://twitter.com/tmnt/status/1151...742848001?s=21

I personally like this change of dynamic. The leadership trait is still there in Leo (like that time he motivated his depressed team mates albeit clumsily). It’s nice that Raph has full authority to lead in this version.

Now we get to see Leo enjoying life as a teen without the stress and burden of a leader early on.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I am fully supportive of Raphael being the leader in Rise, and I do not wanna see him replaced by Leo later on. (even though it seems that it will eventually happen)

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
another reason to love Leo besides being the leader.

Quote:
Hi, Nick TMNT staff. Everyone who thinks "being the leader" is the only reason to love Leo over the last 35 years please raise his or her hand.

Thank you. If your hand is NOT raise, what thoughts and ideas do YOU have? Everyone else, there are plenty of other aspects of the show for you to get to work on.

They really dumbed him down to "just the leader" and decided there was nothing else there? Nothing else of value? That... is really kinda sad.

I hope the next series has people involved who already know there is a whole lot more to like and love about the guy than just being leader and will know how to add too that in ways that help him shine that doesn't require making him "in name only" and act like this.

(Yeah, I had something to say to that comment by them, by this point don't look so surprised.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:29 PM   #4
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

This is a load of crap, clearly this new staff had something against Leo of the previous shows and wanted to do what they felt was a good idea. I've been a fan of Leo's character since the 80s shows for same reason every version in the past and it wasn't just because he was the leader. Them saying this pissed me off.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Stepping back from the leader role, I'd have rather seen them play to his other strengths and personality traits.

Trying to go "younger" doesn't mean he couldn't have still been that cool headed, calm, serious, focused, more spiritual, etc oldest brother. With a show that is as HYPER as this one is, it could have been a good opportunity for him to be the calming rock of the family; the one the others confide in and lean on. That could have been a good niche for him a series of this sort, esp seeing how rat dad certainly isn't doing it.

If they want to give him a way to grow before taking up the role of leader, then maybe make him a little bit of a pacifist, who largely views his training like more of an art form, until something terrible happens to their family that lights a fire in him and he steps up and puts those skills to work and shows what he's made of. But that's me.

If another series someday likewise wants to make him grow into it, hopefully they'll put more thought into it other than just doing whatever it takes to make an animated TMNT Lisa Frank poster on crack.

I don't know if I'd say they hate him or have something against him necessarily... but it seems clear they are among the many who think "is the leader" is the only thing about him. Wish there had been some good Leo people in there in the early part of the process given the job of developing a picture of who he is aside from his "job." Who he often is off the clock, and put more focus and value on those parts.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Doesn't seem like Raph is ready for the leadership role either.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, for getting his turn at it and not having to "earn it" too, and just being self designated, since this Splinter has been too lazy to actually recognize the different qualities of his children... Raph really doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot with it.

Spoiler:
Biting my lip so hard after reading a few of those Twitter comments. I knew I shouldn't have looked.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, for getting his turn at it and not having to "earn it" too, and just being self designated, since this Splinter has been too lazy to actually recognize the different qualities of his children... Raph really doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot with it.

Spoiler:
Biting my lip so hard after reading a few of those Twitter comments. I knew I shouldn't have looked.
This Raph is way too different compared to 2003/2012 version, he's like all those other anime characters I know that jump into action without thinking. He's got no place being a leader in my opinion. It's ok with small fry like villains but once we get to villains that actually have a brain that's going to get complicated for him.

Though this is why this Donnie has a much bigger ego compared to the other Donnie's, they lean on him too much due to Raph's lack of thinking.

Any ways no yah, due to the writers clearly out spoken opinion on Leo in the past just ignore the entire thing. Just reading this tweet first hand pissed me off.

I personally though 2012 Leo had the perfect balance even though 2003 Leo is my favorite version. If you want someone that's starts and square one as leadership for Leo the 2012 version is the better one to go with.

At least they confirmed officially that he'd eventually become leader but I do with they'd handle his character better. A couple of episodes due show his leadership abilities but other episodes leave a mixed bag.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote