The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #121
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I think people are jumping to conclusions by saying TTG even if we've not seen anything yet though I"ll admit it was the first thing that popped to mind when I read the description. A TTG like show would be fun, that show is great and it's too bad people don't give it a chance. Of course it would also be a shame that the TMNT would lose all action elements but it'd still be a great show.

Remember the Shredder artwork we saw a while back? We speculated for a new show. The "hidden mystic powers" and the name "Rise of the TMNT" make it seem like it'll be an action show. Maybe the Justice League Action comparison is a better one to what the show might end up being, that could be an interesting take even of "hidden mystic powers they didn't know they had" sounds awfully lot like "Venus, the sister they didn't know they had." or "new show gimmick you didn't know existed".

I'm a bit sad The Nick show (though I guess it needs a better name now since we'll have a new "nick" show.) only got 5 seasons, I didn't love that take on the turtles but would've wanted to see more. Did they ever do a Battle Nexus on that show? When will the Nick show finish? Fall of this year or spring of 2018? I want to know so I can begin marathoning the complete show and finish my marathon as soon as the last episode airs
Old 03-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #122
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I think people are jumping to conclusions by saying TTG even if we've not seen anything yet though I"ll admit it was the first thing that popped to mind when I read the description. A TTG like show would be fun, that show is great and it's too bad people don't give it a chance.
I'll admit the way TTG is it obviously isn't something for everyone even though I like it. I just feel like people put too much emphasis on how every adaptation of something they like still needs to appeal to them.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #123
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
What if the show is a 2D depiction of the PD turtles after the events of the first two films?
There's some fan art out there from at least a few people whose art style of them I actually kind of LOVE. If their style was heavily used as inspiration for the art, that would actually be okay by me. 2D does flatter their designs better and at least maybe those Turtles would finally get better stories! lol Buuuuut the "younger and lighter" thing kind of scratches that. (Shame, they'd work so easily as young adult Turtles.)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #124
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What were you expecting? Either way it was obvious IDW TMNT would go on longer than the Nick cartoon even if the show got 2 more seasons. Comics are much less expensive to produce than TV (obviously) so as long as sales remain stable they can go on for years.
Comics refused to adapt the other media that made it successful. Aside from archie I was extremely bored or irritated with the comics. Yet I LOVE IDW and grew increasingly disinterested with the Nicktoon. A comic being far superior and treating the franchise with better care and more fun than the cartoon? Its like bizarro world for an other media fan. I respect Peter and co. but cant get into it without other media love. I did not think a comic would ever do it. Tom and Bobby with Kevin did it. Neutrinos in name only, Chrome Dome in name only, Razhar a secondary name in name only. IDW not only uses these characters but actually does them better while maintaining roots. Can you honestly say Nick did a better job than IDW in handling the character?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #125
Shellington
Foot Soldier

This is cool, though I think it may be too early to announce a new TMNT show.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/teenage-mut...-sh&soc_trk=tw

“Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” will follow Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello and Michelangelo on all-new adventures as they seek to unlock the mystical secrets of New York City. From the tallest skyscraper to the dankest sewer drain, the Turtles will encounter absurd new mutants and battle bizarre creatures all while enjoying their favorite slice of pizza. Tapping into mystic, ninja powers they never knew existed, the four brothers must learn to work together and navigate the perils of the modern age and hidden realms in order to fulfill their destiny to become a team of heroes.

Sounds fairly new and interesting. Will keep an eye out on this.
"And we're teenagers." Mikey, the Teenager
Old 03-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #126
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Yeah, They should've called it something like Tales of the TMNT.
On that thought, I wonder if this is a factor in them changing the branding for the 2012 series' DVD releases? Trying to differentiate it a bit more with the new show coming?

Not too excited based on what we're hearing so far. Adding an extra "gimmick" to the TMNT never works out well, and toning down the violence and all darker elements is far from what I want to see from the property. It'll probably be good fun for the little kids -- and I'm 33 and prooobably shouldn't complain about childrens' cartoons -- but I know it's likely not what I'm looking for as a fan.

I've gotten a bit colder to the franchise as a whole lately anyway. The awful Bay movies made it a bit harder to feel like a "fan", and while I've mostly enjoyed this series I'm okay with it wrapping up at this point. I'll always follow the IDW comic, but it does kind of feel like we're getting closer to another "hibernation period" for the Turtles. And honestly, that idea doesn't bother me like it might've in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, something somewhat akin to a 2D Half Shell Heroes is what I'm picturing.
This is why I assume the action will be heavily toned down -- the animation Nick has used for 2D Turtles stuff hasn't been too impressive, IMO. Pretty flat, Flash-like and cheap, and not the best for conveying action.

I get the reasoning they likely have behind these decisions. They just don't appeal to me at all. But I'm not the target audience here, I'm sure.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #127
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Neutrinos in name only, Chrome Dome in name only, Razhar a secondary name in name only. IDW not only uses these characters but actually does them better while maintaining roots. Can you honestly say Nick did a better job than IDW in handling the character?
What do you mean Chrome Dome in "name only?" He's a goddamn robot. And Rahzar is Rahzar, it doesn't matter if he was a wolf or human.

Every single character is always updated or changed in new versions. How are the IDW incarnations not the same in "name only?" You can say the same thing there, since every character in IDW is a new take on an old character. Since when was Rat King a millenia old demon? Or Fugitoid a Neutrino, etc? There's nothing wrong with this, IDW updated the characters like Nick did.

I find it bizarre some of you complain Nick changes the characters too much when EVERY SERIES does it. 4kids made Rat King into a failed Bishop clone. The Shredder into an Utrom. So what on earth are you blaming this series for doing the same thing every other show did?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #128
U2WaTCHer
Hench Mutant

This new show idea totally sucks I been a turtle fan for almost 30 years. It's going to be all toony no continuation sucks too. I'm so tired of rebooting and redoing everything after we evolved so far. I am so disappointed with Nick's disrespect they given the TMNT. We can't help it they messed up the movie reboots but now mess with the current series. They could have tweaked the storyline or kept the same continuation in 2D with minor tweaks as well. This is not a good thing I'm sorry guys I'm just being honest.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #129
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm really, really excited about this, yo. Back in August, I posted this in the "Your Ideal Turtles Show" thread-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I wanna see Andy Suriano's vision for the TMNT. He did all that character concept art that got rejected. It's weird as hell & could make for a very interesting change of pace.
& just 5 months later my dream came true! Wow! I genuinely think this series is in great hands. Andy's one creative son of a gun. He's big on action & zaniness, his vision will definitely be wacky as hell, but in a good way. I have a feeling it will be reminiscent of Nickelodeon & CN's 90's cartoons humor-wise, with Samurai-Jack tier action. A recipe I'd most certainly welcome with open arms. For those who are unaware, he's been intimately involved with the TMNT brand since Viacom bought them. He's done virtually all of the product design for the Nick series, as well as the DVD cover art, promotional pieces for season debuts, packaging for Playmates, you name it. Any piece of 2D Nick series art you see, on t-shirts, for example, that's our guy. Hell, most of the 3D render pieces you see, their poses are based on his sketches. Even the OOTS Bebop & Rocksteady shots from Crush soda. I was fortunate enough to meet him at a convention & gush about the property for 20 mins or so (got a commission too), he's super cool, humble, & passionate about his work. His original comic is really wild, somewhat reminds me of the turtles' space adventures from Mirage, actually. Y'all owe him an objective eye, he's gonna do some cool stuff, I'm certain. Most of you already like his art, ya just didn't know his name!

It's too early to say given we don't have too much to go on, but this series sounds a lot like the one Playmates originally pitched in 1987. Pairing their intentions of exploring mysticism within the confines of a sludgy NYC with Andy, whose rejected designs for the last show were very much in the vein of their earliest villain concepts like Tom Sawyer & Bowmaster, makes me wonder if they actually are updating that original pitch. Despite my distaste for their current product offerings, I do love that old-school Playmates flavor, so it could be pretty amazing. I'm open minded. I hope there's more gross-out humor.

Of course many of us want darker stuff that harkens back to Mirage & the first film, but I doubt anyone realistically expected that. We got a lot of darkness in the Nick series at least. Maybe this one will give us the slice of life elements we want.

I know he made a few pitches over the years, I managed to convince him to post the art from one of them a while back.

I wouldn't necessarily take this as a point of reference for what they're doing, since they rejected this one. But it's interesting all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
On that thought, I wonder if this is a factor in them changing the branding for the 2012 series' DVD releases? Trying to differentiate it a bit more with the new show coming?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics...erShredder.jpg
Funny you'd post that, it's Andy's work!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy

Last edited by Powder; 03-02-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #130
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I certainly hope you're joking. I feel sorry for you if otherwise.
Yeah, I mean I guess it wasn't ALL bad. I actually found the Super Shredder second half of season four to be very entertaining. But the first half of season three with the farm episodes, and the first half of season four with the outer space episodes were absolutely unbearable.

I realized that my twin boys will be four years old when this new series starts. This is a whole new opportunity to get them into TMNT. They love watching episodes of the original series. Like me though, they haven't been all that entertained by the current series.

So whether not you enjoy the current Nick series, as a TMNT fan you should be excited for this new series. If you did enjoy the Nick series, then you should be glad that Nick is bringing us more TMNT. If you didn't enjoy the current series, then there's a chance that maybe this new series will be more entertaining than the current one.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #131
Kendamu
Sewerhead

If they take notes from what worked in "Don vs Raph," then I'm all-in on this new thing!
Old 03-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #132
Vivi
Mad Scientist

This show would benefit using the writers (not to mention Producers/Directors) that have the creativity, nuance and continuity skills of the Airbender crew. Not to slam the 2012 writers, I'm sure they were restricted on what they could do. As for the animation style, anything from updated 2k3 "anime" to Jhonen Vasquez's short would be neat. I think it is a mistake to make it too kiddy. Make the characters genuinely interesting and you'll follow them anywhere.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:33 PM   #133
Freeman
Hench Mutant

I must say you guys never stop to impress me: I post here, go watch a couple of 'The Last Airbender' episodes and for the time I come back you are 7 pages into the thread

So, back on topic. I agree with most here that an Auman style woud be very fan to watch, but I hope they avoid 10min episodes because no plot can be built in such format.

I am also surprised that nobody mentioned the Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon from 2000: It had action, humor, mystical talismans that gave powers... and it was very fun to watch! It also had a lighter tone and was very family friendly, so maybe this could be pointing somewhere there.

I know turtles have never had 'powers' before, and what is and what isn't funny is a very subjective matter, but this could, while beeing a redefinition of the characters, help build a consistent new incarnation of the turtles.

I'm not hoping the greatest out of it, but neither should we be assuming it's going to be a TTG-ish nonsense when we still haven't seen any of it and thinking heads of the project have such a reputation.

Jacki Chan Adventures tone and plot style is my call.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #134
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The turtles had mystic powers they didn't know they had in Season 5 of the 2k3 show and it was awful.

Powder's impressions give me hope even if I don't like the artwork he posted. I still think the show will be more like the Justice League Action show but I'll even take a Teen Titans Go take, I think that could be fun.

In the end while it's sad there'll be no mutant crazy heavy TMNT 3 movie or S6 of the Nick show I'm glad we won't have to wait long for the next incarnation.

I haven't been excited for something turtles related since the OT/Nick crossover maybe a bit with the OOTS trailer and even then the last time I really was super excited for the franchise was when the Nick show began.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:51 PM   #135
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

The Jackie Chan comparison is pretty interesting, considering that it's another 4Kids original show, so the animation and writing styles are similar.

Heck, they both even have Enormously Big Man men.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:53 PM   #136
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The turtles had mystic powers they didn't know they had in Season 5 of the 2k3 show and it was awful.
No it wasn't, many people enjoyed it.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #137
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I must say you guys never stop to impress me: I post here, go watch a couple of 'The Last Airbender' episodes and for the time I come back you are 7 pages into the thread

So, back on topic. I agree with most here that an Auman style woud be very fan to watch, but I hope they avoid 10min episodes because no plot can be built in such format.

I am also surprised that nobody mentioned the Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon from 2000: It had action, humor, mystical talismans that gave powers... and it was very fun to watch! It also had a lighter tone and was very family friendly, so maybe this could be pointing somewhere there.

I know turtles have never had 'powers' before, and what is and what isn't funny is a very subjective matter, but this could, while beeing a redefinition of the characters, help build a consistent new incarnation of the turtles.

I'm not hoping the greatest out of it, but neither should we be assuming it's going to be a TTG-ish nonsense when we still haven't seen any of it and thinking heads of the project have such a reputation.

Jacki Chan Adventures tone and plot style is my call.
I can work with that, I like the Jackie Chan animated series.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #138
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist

Some fans would actually like to see some attempts to make these characters a bit more 3-Dimensional and taken more seriously (it doesn't have to be Shakespeare, and it doesn't have to be 'Nolan's Batman films'). Marvel Films & DC Animated Films are good examples of this.

So we either got those Bay-ism movies, and now a 'younger/lighter/more humorous' show? Why, so that even less people take the characters seriously than the bottom level that they're at right now?

Great job, Nickel-N-Diming Nickelodeon

I'll admit, the 2012 Nick show had its' moments...but at the same time, it felt like it didn't know what it wanted to be. Many moments and aspects of a 'silly throwback to the 80s' cartoon' and then once in a blue moon? They threw in something 'dark'. And even some fans of the show can admit that there were many things that they didn't follow through with...

Money-wise? Yeah, this 'new show' makes sense. Creative & character wise aka people who actually care about these characters and not just the $? This is such backwards thinking that it's dumbfounding.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:16 PM   #139
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
There's some fan art out there from at least a few people whose art style of them I actually kind of LOVE. If their style was heavily used as inspiration for the art, that would actually be okay by me. 2D does flatter their designs better and at least maybe those Turtles would finally get better stories! lol Buuuuut the "younger and lighter" thing kind of scratches that. (Shame, they'd work so easily as young adult Turtles.)
Sophie Campbell's done some illustrations of the OotS designs and they look marvelous. Made me wish they'd actually done comic adaptations/prequels like they'd done for the first four.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #140
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
The Jackie Chan comparison is pretty interesting, considering that it's another 4Kids original show, so the animation and writing styles are similar.

Heck, they both even have Enormously Big Man men.
Jackie Chan Adventures was WB

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters