The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
Jephael
That whack job behind you

If you had total control over the rights to TMNT...

We all have our say of what should and shouldn't be done with the Ninja Turtles, but the sad truth of the matter is in the end our opinions mean diddly as we don't own the rights to these characters. Even back in 2003 when Peter Laird ran the show with Mirage and 4Kids, we ultimately had no say.

Now say you worked at Viacom and were given the chance to helm the rights to the franchise and hire whoever you wanted to make an animated series or a feature film. What would you desire?

If it were up to me, I'd want Danny Phantom/Fairly OddParents creator Butch Hartman to do a Ninja Turtles cartoon series that's close to the Archie comics, and I'd want Steven Spielberg to produce the next film version and have it heavily based on the Mirage comics and even set in the 1980s.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:41 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:00 AM   #3
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Andrew, that's 4 Raphs.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:01 AM   #4
Ninjinister
無問題

I certainly wouldn't let any of you wankers near the franchise, creatively.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:33 AM   #5
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

World building galore.

And no, not just on the Utrom side of things . Although, that wouldn't be an exception.

Spoiler:
I'd have an "absolutely no one is 100% evil" rule. Even Shredder. Even Krang. Even the "Big Bad" Triceraton antagonist that I'm working on. She's a young Regenta who is trying to take up the fight against the Utroms to get attention from her parents, for the most part. The Utroms find out about this toward the end of the story, and only respond with feelings of schadenfreude and pity. As well as embarrassment that they've been fighting against a whiny brat all this time.

The conflict is mostly made by as a comedy of errors and massive misunderstandings all throughout - most of which are being made because of the turtles being 15-year-old boys who in spite of their rigid training and having two intuitive members among them, still don't take the time to process certain events logically. Also by Krang and Saki rushing through decisions on Earth and making everyone under them a little worried for their respective mental healths. They're fine with the Triceratons, but the Earth mutants just keep giving them the run-around.

Mutagen is an experimental wound cure-all that the Utroms were developing in their war against the Triceratons, but it does not heal injuries in humans - rather, it works a bit like the nanogenes in Doctor Who. With Earthlings, it confuses mixed DNA and bonds the two together, even if it's just left from a touch. Which is how the "mutates the last animal something touches" effect works in this case.

The Foot Clan were protectors of the Utroms after WWII, seeking a way to cling to their dying traditions in the wake of Japan working for the West. Saki's friendship with Yoshi collapsed when he married a Chinese-American Tang Shen, who worked at the New York branch of TCRI. The destruction of the New York TCRI takes place during the turtles' mutation, when Saki and Yoshi got into a fight that ultimately caused the building to go up in flames.

The Hamato family fell apart with Yoshi mutating in attempt to rescue some lab animals - including the turtles - and one rat that did not survive the fire. The mutated Yoshi flees with his mutated turtles to his friends, the Jones family, who have access to an old speakeasy they can hide in, and don't ask questions.

Shen remains alive and flees to Northampton, with her infant daughter Miwa as a cat, and the mutated laboratory mascot cat. Knowing there were many other mutations, she set up a halfway home for them away from the Utroms so they can hope for a cure without having to remain with the aliens, and have a hidden spot with a human to shelter with. The turtles go to Northhampton after losing a battle with Shredder per Dr. Xeinos' instruction, telling them that there's a woman helping mutants live more peacefully. Thereby, the reunion with Tang Shen and Yoshi takes place relatively early in the story, but hey, it mixes things up a little bit. I don't think it's something that belongs at the end of the story, honestly.

Krang remains the son of Emperor Quanin, but his mother is also present - as well as four younger siblings. He and Ch'rell are domestically linked and have a daughter named Aska (explanation: Utrom biology is complicated and to be discussed elsewhere. In short: even SJWs would be confused by how their sex and gender works), who works with Saki and Karai's daughter Himiko as Foot Assassins.

Oroku Saki is the son of a Foot Clan ninja and a woman who later joined him there. They met helping the victims of the Hiroshima bombing and has been brought up being described as the only good thing in their lives that resulted from being there and the results of it - besides their marriage.

April O'Neil works for Baxter Stockman, who works for TCRI. The MOUSERS happen upon Splinter by accident and reveals the hidden mutants to Krang, whose ambition is to destroy mutants that were not originally human - or too far "gone" from their original forms, such as what Muckman would be categorized as. And she only meets the turtles while they and Casey break into the new TCRI to rescue Splinter, and they get him out of the lab before the Utroms are able to reverse his mutation. Irma is her roommate, who works with Vernon Finwick...who is married to John Bishop.

Bishop's story is basically the same as it is in the 4Kids show. Abducted by aliens in 1812 and dropped in New York in the modern day, but was found by Vernon, who was his guide through the modern world. Ultimately, once he found his own way, he managed to get his way into the EPF. Vernon seeks out information on the mutants to help his husband, and Irma helps him just because she's curious about it and is already generally nosy.

Apart from the turtles and the Mighty Mutanimals, there would be another mutant group: The Mutant Misfits, made up of Snakeweed, Seymour Gutz, Muckman, and Joe Eyeball. And any other non-animal mutants that wouldn't really fit in with the other groups that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

While I want to think I would make a mishmash of different versions, it just seems like I've crafted my own take??? I'm not really sure what to compare it to.

There's a lot more that I have in mind, but that's the basic idea. I'd develop more at another time and another place, but I'd have to find it.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:16 AM   #6
Jephael

Quote:
I did have you in mind when I said I'd like to see a Mirage heavy film adaptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I certainly wouldn't let any of you wankers near the franchise, creatively.
That's kinda the point of this thread. We've all got our own opinions on how these characters should and shouldn't be depicted... and unfortunately no 2 people have the same ideals. Heck, even Eastman and Laird had some friction in regards to the direction of their characters as is my understanding.

www.jephael.com
Old 03-16-2017, 02:31 AM   #7
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well there's been topics about what kinda movie or cartoon we'd make. Isn't this basically the same question? I'll go in a different direction.

Take the toy line away from Playmates and give it to a company that will make decent show/movie accurate toys. Not collector level quality, since there's already others for that, but someone to handle the mainstream line.

Try to get a partnership with Disney or Universal to get theme park attractions. Avatar is going to DisneyWorld (however that works). Well Nick is with Universal isn't it?

Create a chain of TMNT pizza restaurants. Like a legitimate chain similar to Pizza Hut or Dominos. I'd require they deliver pizzas in vans painted like the OT.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:22 AM   #8
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
That's kinda the point of this thread. We've all got our own opinions on how these characters should and shouldn't be depicted... and unfortunately no 2 people have the same ideals. Heck, even Eastman and Laird had some friction in regards to the direction of their characters as is my understanding.
What I meant is I'd hire professionals, not just let random fans do anything with it. With very few exceptions, like unless they're professionals first, fans second - fans ruin everything when they get their hands on on the run a franchise.

I mean I have my ideas of what I'd do if I were writing/directing a movie, but if I was in charge of the entire franchise I wouldn't put that in my own hands even. Or any of yours.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #9
ToTheNines
[sic]

I'd get these guys to make another album and go on tour.

ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'd give the Nick cartoon another two seasons with Ciro and the current staff still in charge. IDW is fine, let them continue doing what they're doing.

I'd greenlit The Forever War and tell Murphy to finally hurry up and write the conclusion to the Archie series. I'd then make Viacom release the 2k3 series properly on DVD or blu-ray, same for Nick.

Lastly I'd love to write a "Season 11" of the original cartoon. It would take place after the defeat of Dregg and bring Shredder/Krang back to the fold but do completely different things with them. I'd bring in some Archie elements and utilize some of the recurring villains a lot better.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:56 AM   #11
Jephael

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'd give the Nick cartoon another two seasons with Ciro and the current staff still in charge. IDW is fine, let them continue doing what they're doing.

I'd greenlit The Forever War and tell Murphy to finally hurry up and write the conclusion to the Archie series. I'd then make Viacom release the 2k3 series properly on DVD or blu-ray, same for Nick.

Lastly I'd love to write a "Season 11" of the original cartoon. It would take place after the defeat of Dregg and bring Shredder/Krang back to the fold but do completely different things with them. I'd bring in some Archie elements and utilize some of the recurring villains a lot better.
I'm loving all of these ideas, though my only concern is I feel like Ciro wouldn't want to be involved. He made it very clear that he has no desire to continue that series past season 5. However, so long as you keep Brandon Auman, and of course the voice cast, you may have a decent shot at furthering the show by a coupe seasons.

www.jephael.com
Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #12
Vegita-San
Emperor

i sometimes wonder if cubed is a studio plant who works for nick ;o)

I'd personally try to totally reboot TMNT

No Triceratons No Utroms Keep April, Keep Casey, keep the turtles, Splinter and Shredder and the Foot

Everything else would be ALL NEW

it woudl be interesting to see if TMNT Could survive with a Total villain and series make over

this last series has shown us some things done over and over again and the impact lessons each time we see leo or raph get thrown through a plate glass window

you can only rely on nostalgia so much before it becomes common place and boring
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

IDW would be allowed to keep doing what they're doing, with zero interference.

We'd finally have some decent serious Mirage-based films.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I'd do it like Batman Arkham series.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #15
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

I'd be down with that.

Quote:
Eh, pretty much everyone and everything got their proper sendoff in the OT. Ending with Splinter seeing the guys as equals, no longer students. If anything have it take place in the future (which I guess is only 2015 lol) where Carter went to cure his mutation. Have the turtles all be pushing 40, living seperate lives, getting back together for one more adventure.

Me personally, I'd just get the cast to dub lines into Tutles Forever. Jim Cummings as Shredder.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #16
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Eh, pretty much everyone and everything got their proper sendoff in the OT. Ending with Splinter seeing the guys as equals, no longer students. If anything have it take place in the future (which I guess is only 2015 lol) where Carter went to cure his mutation. Have the turtles all be pushing 40, living seperate lives, getting back together for one more adventure.

Me personally, I'd just get the cast to dub lines into Tutles Forever. Jim Cummings as Shredder.
agreed

i don't know why they didn't get jim to do shredder for the Season 5 crossover
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #17
pferreira
Foot Elite

*I'd continue the FW series from where it left off, putting David Wise in charge of the writing staff. Keep the animation the same as Season 7 although less animation errors and use the episodes to develop the characters a bit more, maybe create a bit more drama.

*I'd continue where the live action movies from the 90s left off and base the plots off the Mirage comics.

*Make a Mirage adapted cartoon series.

*Get someone who knows about video games to make a faithful videogame based on any of the TMNT reiterations.

EDIT: I just saw that discussion thread of Bebop and Rocksteady was closed. I totally disagree with neatoman's view though that all Bebop and Rocksteady did was tickle people. He didn't make any sense when he talks about the FW cartoon as usual. Any hoo...

Last edited by pferreira; 03-16-2017 at 10:49 AM.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #18
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
agreed

i don't know why they didn't get jim to do shredder for the Season 5 crossover
Yeah, kind of a bummer. Maybe he wasn't available.

But KMR is a hell of a talent. I'll wait to hear his take before making a judgement.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

* Reboot the films with a new origin movie that primarily takes cues from the Mirage material, coupled with a visionary director with an original vision and passion for the material (me! kidding).

* Let IDW keep doing IDW's thing, though with the Nick shackles off. "Encourage" them to also either do a "MULTIVERSE" book that partially spotlights the Mirage universe, or an outright Mirage "Volume 5" book with talent new and old. Reprint everything they couldn't before (and if they aren't willing, take it all to Dark Horse... they've been itching to reprint everything for eons). Kiss Rick Veitch's ass and/or give him whatever he wants to get "The River" and such reprinted.

* Develop some kind of a Netflix series. This could be in the same universe as the aforementioned rebooted movie series, or maybe it's own thing.

* Pretty much always have a cartoon in active development or on the air to reel in the latest crop of kiddies. This could be whatever.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #20
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
* Pretty much always have a cartoon in active development or on the air to reel in the latest crop of kiddies. This could be whatever.
What do you mean by "whatever"? Whatever as in "Let the writers/storyboarders do whatever they want" or as in "Whatever, just have it be the typical toy commercial"?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote