AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Batman/TMNT II #3 Preview and Discussion

Preview here.
AlZarkovski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #2
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Okay, that initial scene was pure gold. OF COURSE Robin is the type of kid to claim the controller is broken

I still don't like some of the characterization aspects of this universe's Turtles but it's nothing so major I can't ignore it and enjoy the story. At least, based on this preview. We'll see how it actually plays out.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Alright, so about Bebop, Rocksteady and Baxter.
Spoiler:
Bebop and Rocksteady on Venom? Isn't that just going from a big muscular brute of absurd proportions to a big muscular brute of absurd proportions, except there's also tube connecting the neck and left hand?
I don't know, seems kind of pointless. Wouldn't make more sense to use characters who normally look kind of scrawny?

Why not Baxter? Did they really feel it was better to do that fly crap instead of something different? Speaking of the fly thing, I realise this is non-canon and might get nullified anyway, I will never like that stupid idea. Please stop doing it, it's just idiotic regardless of how seriously you're meant to take the context.

But those are nitpicks, pretty good in general
Spoiler:
I do like Raph and Damian's mutual hate fight. Bane's speech is pretty good too.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Hey, Issue #3... we're halfway through and guess what!!! Donatello STILL SUCKS!!!

Shocking, right?

And as for the 'roided out henchmutants... eh. Bane is already idiotically huge in this series, so it's kinda hard to tell how much bigger the henchmutants are now.

Also, it looks like Bobby threw FW fanboys a bone with Baxter Stockman... just don't bring that into the main ongoing TMNT comic series, and we'll be just fine.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I dunno, this crossover reads like a transcript of a kid playing with a set of Batman and TMNT action figures, making up the story as he goes (and he's obviously not a big fan of Donnie, who absolutely sucks in this story).

The art is phenomenal, the pencils and page layouts, everything, and some of the dialogue is great, but the actual meat of the story itself is pretty weak. Why is Donnie so whiny? Why is Bane so one-track minded? Why did Baxter turn into a fly?

I give Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: A Knight in New York a C+ so far
Old 01-17-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

This crossover miniseries is basically the Batman/TMNT version of this...

Old 01-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
This crossover miniseries is basically the Batman/TMNT version of this...

Kind of? It's not Splinter bullying Donnie.

I always thought it was a strange decision to use the FW Turtles and 4kids Splinter, not sure why they did that. "I should have eaten you when I had the chance" is a pretty funny line though.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:56 PM   #8
funatic
Mad Scientist

Is Robin just as much of an insufferable ass in the current Batman comics as he is in this mini-series?
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
qt.bangerang
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Is Robin just as much of an insufferable ass in the current Batman comics as he is in this mini-series?
Good question. The more I read this the less I am liking the crossover. It makes the turtles seem weak and dumb.
qt.bangerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #10
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Yes, sadly. Right after he went through an entire series of his own learning not to be such an ass, they snapped him right back to ass-status.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #11
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

So far I'm not thrilled with this crossover either. The TMNT are handled unfavorably and I think it's run it's course. Time to move on.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I dunno, this crossover reads like a transcript of a kid playing with a set of Batman and TMNT action figures, making up the story as he goes (and he's obviously not a big fan of Donnie, who absolutely sucks in this story).

The art is phenomenal, the pencils and page layouts, everything, and some of the dialogue is great, but the actual meat of the story itself is pretty weak. Why is Donnie so whiny? Why is Bane so one-track minded? Why did Baxter turn into a fly?

I give Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: A Knight in New York a C+ so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
So far I'm not thrilled with this crossover either. The TMNT are handled unfavorably and I think it's run it's course. Time to move on.
This. Absolutely beautiful but Ugh.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

Now I can see why this isn't in continuity, it let's them go in their own direction. I like the new design for Baxter as a fly, it's nice we got this here instead of in the main IDW series. So we get best of both worlds, we get to see what an IDW Baxter fly could have been like, while he remains human in the canon main series. I really dig his design too, it's a lot different than the other two.

Bebop/Rocksteady in IDW are already powerhouses, so jacking them with venom won't make much difference. I'm not sure this writer knows how already overpowered Bebop/Rocksteady are in this universes. Not much story otherwise, but Raph kicking the crap out of Damian was nice. Damian is one of my least favorite Robin's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:24 AM   #14
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Yes, sadly. Right after he went through an entire series of his own learning not to be such an ass, they snapped him right back to ass-status.
You know, I at least kind of appreciate that the writers for this series ignored the continuity of both franchises, rather than follow one and not the other. It seems like this creative team was allowed to just make up whatever story they wanted to even though none of the characters involved have been acting like this in the main series they've been appearing in (granted, it isn't canon to either franchise, but still). Donnie is handled really poorly in this, but so are Bane and Damian. So at least there's a kind of... symmetry to the poor characterization?
Old 01-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

With the way Bebop and Rocksteady have been portrayed in IDW what difference does venom make? They seem to be same ole in muscle bulk.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #16
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Here's my summary and review of Batman/TMNT II #3 at TMNT Entity.

My expectations for this mini are dropping, at least in terms of the story. We're halfway through it and I'm coming to terms with the fact that all the good guys are being portrayed as really, *really* stupid. Even Batman and Robin seem to be pretty dumb, particularly in this issue. It only makes Bane seem threatening by comparison, not as a result of anything genuinely diabolical that Bane is doing.

The art and colors are still tremendously good, however, and they're the real selling point of this mini. Disappointments with the script accounted for, I still don't regret buying this issues and I think most consumers will feel the same. I just wish the character work and plot in this mini were as strong as what we saw in the first. We KNOW the creators are capable of being better than this.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Here's my summary and review of Batman/TMNT II #3 at TMNT Entity.

My expectations for this mini are dropping, at least in terms of the story. We're halfway through it and I'm coming to terms with the fact that all the good guys are being portrayed as really, *really* stupid. Even Batman and Robin seem to be pretty dumb, particularly in this issue. It only makes Bane seem threatening by comparison, not as a result of anything genuinely diabolical that Bane is doing.

The art and colors are still tremendously good, however, and they're the real selling point of this mini. Disappointments with the script accounted for, I still don't regret buying this issues and I think most consumers will feel the same. I just wish the character work and plot in this mini were as strong as what we saw in the first. We KNOW the creators are capable of being better than this.
The only thing to like is the art. We need Freddie Williams to start working on the main ongoing or Universe, not just doing these Batman crossovers and Universe covers!
Old 01-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #18
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
The only thing to like is the art. We need Freddie Williams to start working on the main ongoing or Universe, not just doing these Batman crossovers and Universe covers!
I second the motion
Old 01-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So it sounds like the writer(s) don't have any good understanding of Bane, hasn't read any IDW TMNT comics (or any TMNT comics, really) and thinks the Turtles are amphibians.

That's what I'm getting out of this.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #20
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
So it sounds like the writer(s) don't have any good understanding of Bane, hasn't read any IDW TMNT comics (or any TMNT comics, really) and thinks the Turtles are amphibians.

That's what I'm getting out of this.
It's been a long time since Bane was written correctly. I haven't even been able to really get into the Bane: Conquest series by Chuck Dixon...