The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #41
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Here's my full summary and review of TMNT #42 at TMNT Entity.

I think what's been leaving me unenthusiastic about this arc so far, and perhaps some of the arcs in the past, is how front-loaded the pacing tends to be. The first half of the 4-issue arcs are all set up, exposition, monologues, etc. What it takes to get us there. Then the last half of the arc is all the action.

It's pretty much the definition of "written for the trade" where taken all at once in a single sitting, the frontloading isn't as problematic. But for those of us sticking to the monthlies, to support the title so there can BE trades later on, we're kind left twiddling our thumbs until the last half of the arc.

That isn't to say these story lines aren't awesome, because they are. It's just the pacing might benefit from having the set-up and exposition and monologues woven between the action from issue-to-issue instead of frontloaded into the first two issues of a four issue arc.

Don revealing that he didn't REALLY betray his family suffered from a bit of a scripting cheat, too. I mean, the Turtles spend pages 8 through 10 in private, yet they're all still ACTING like they don't know Don is working with the Foot. It makes the "shock" at the end that they were in on Don's scheme all along function... but it only works by cheating. Not a good thing.

That being said, I AM glad Don didn't betray his family. We had JUST gotten through the Dark Leo stuff, we really didn't need a retread of that but with Don. So I suppose the ends justified the means in this incident.

All in all, I think I'm looking forward to the back end of "Attack of Technodrome" quite a bit, but these first two installments have just amounted to "getting there".
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #42
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Did anyone really think Don was going to betray his family? I assumed that no matter what, he was only temporarily working with Shredder and would never hurt his fam. I don't see the cheating either. Even though Leo and Don were on the same page, I can still see Don not telling Leo certain things, like the fact that he was staying behind and being watched by B&R.

I loved this issue. I don't mind the buildups although the suspense is very painful indeed! This series is so good. I love Don's development in this part of the series.

I wonder if Hob will ever call any of the Turtles or Splinter by name? Like does he even know their names?

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #43
TomWaltz
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT #42 at TMNT Entity.

Don revealing that he didn't REALLY betray his family suffered from a bit of a scripting cheat, too. I mean, the Turtles spend pages 8 through 10 in private, yet they're all still ACTING like they don't know Don is working with the Foot. It makes the "shock" at the end that they were in on Don's scheme all along function... but it only works by cheating. Not a good thing.
Hmm… great review as always, my friend, but gotta disagree with your analysis of pages 8 thru 10. True, the TMNT never come right out and say they know about the Shredder/Krang double-cross thing (admittedly, we were saving that for the reader later in the issue during Splinter's flashback reveal) but if you read it, you'll see we hint that the other TMNT are fully in on Don's plan, albeit an unspoken understanding during this scene. The only thing he's keeping secret from them is his agreement with Shredder to stay behind as collateral.

That said, as always, love reading your reviews!

Talk soon…

Tom W.
TomWaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #44
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
I wonder if Hob will ever call any of the Turtles or Splinter by name? Like does he even know their names?
We will see Hob call them by name when they earn his friendship or loyalty by saving his life in some regard. Right now, they're just tenuous allies who refuse to trust him.

Honestly, I think Hob is getting a bad rap right now... all he wants to do is create and protect mutants. True he has said he wants an army--but is he really gonna go all Magneto terrorist and force the TMNT to take him down in the future?

Probably. But for right now, I'm enjoying heroic Old Hob. He is the badass Nick Fury of the TMNT universe, assembling his mutant Avengers.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #45
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Did anyone really think Don was going to betray his family? I assumed that no matter what, he was only temporarily working with Shredder and would never hurt his fam. I don't see the cheating either. Even though Leo and Don were on the same page, I can still see Don not telling Leo certain things, like the fact that he was staying behind and being watched by B&R.

I loved this issue. I don't mind the buildups although the suspense is very painful indeed! This series is so good. I love Don's development in this part of the series.

lol he probably gets their names confused and just thinks of them as "grumpy red guy" or "goofy orange guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
We will see Hob call them by name when they earn his friendship or loyalty by saving his life in some regard. Right now, they're just tenuous allies who refuse to trust him.

Honestly, I think Hob is getting a bad rap right now... all he wants to do is create and protect mutants. True he has said he wants an army--but is he really gonna go all Magneto terrorist and force the TMNT to take him down in the future?

Probably. But for right now, I'm enjoying heroic Old Hob. He is the badass Nick Fury of the TMNT universe, assembling his mutant Avengers.
you know he just like straight up shot two guys because they used to be human? I love Hob, he is one of my favorite characters and a welcome addition to the TMNTverse, but he's not quite a true and true "hero" yet. I'm looking forward to seeing his journey, as he realizes that not all humans are evil, not all mutants are to be trusted, et cetera. should be some good stories for years to come
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #46
boywonder26
Hench Mutant

I loved the build up for the next issue. I liked that there were a few spots in the battle scene where they showed a little blood, I wished there was just a little bit more of that in this comic.
boywonder26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #47
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

You know, I think Stockman could turn out to be a big wildcard in what goes down. Ultimately, he's not on Krang, Shredder or the Turtles' side. He's in it for himself and is a masterful chess player. He knows now that Krang will never afford him a sanctuary in his new world. What move could he make at a key juncture to change everything?
Old 02-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #48
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Ninja Anole View Post
You know, I think Stockman could turn out to be a big wildcard in what goes down. Ultimately, he's not on Krang, Shredder or the Turtles' side. He's in it for himself and is a masterful chess player. He knows now that Krang will never afford him a sanctuary in his new world. What move could he make at a key juncture to change everything?
Baxter will sacrifice his body and become a flyborg. Since Fugitoid seems to make it out of this arc then that has to be the sacrifice that is mentioned in the solicits.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #49
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Baxter will sacrifice his body and become a flyborg. Since Fugitoid seems to make it out of this arc then that has to be the sacrifice that is mentioned in the solicits.
Actually, an untimely release of preview pages from the FCBD issue has revealed the sacrifice to be
Spoiler:
Donatello's.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #50
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Actually, an untimely release of preview pages from the FCBD issue has revealed the sacrifice to be
Spoiler:
Donatello's.
Care to share a link to the preview or a link to the thread it is provided in. I do believe you I just want to see the preview pages.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #51
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Spoiler:
Donatello's.
If true, Nooooooooooo

Spoiler:
I hope he doesn't die but be seriously injured instead or he dies and April finds a scroll which has bring them back to life spell, they can use that on him. Maybe Donnie could have a touching moment with Tang Shen like Leo and Splinter did

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #52
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Care to share a link to the preview or a link to the thread it is provided in. I do believe you I just want to see the preview pages.
Sure thing, here you go:

http://buzzcomics.net/showpost.php?p...70&postcount=1
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #53
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Spoiler:
Oh my god!!!!! Feels, feels and more feels

It felt like someone kicked me in the heart, seeing that.

Shame he's not in a bathtub though, then it be Mikey that's left.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:30 AM   #54
Mormegil
Thug

I don't know how you guys handle the wait. I got into this series just before the City Fall TP were released and i've been content with waiting for each collection to come out. But i can't stand the wait so i went ahead and picked up the 41 and 42 floppies. The suspense is killing me.

I doubt i could do it but i might buy the issues but not read them till each arc is finished.
Mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #55
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
I don't know how you guys handle the wait. I got into this series just before the City Fall TP were released and i've been content with waiting for each collection to come out. But i can't stand the wait so i went ahead and picked up the 41 and 42 floppies. The suspense is killing me.

I doubt i could do it but i might buy the issues but not read them till each arc is finished.
Its excruciating sometimes. But this is one of my top comic series so I'd wait any length of time for the next issue

I can't wait to see how exactly Donnie gets into the predicament he's in in the FCBD preview
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tom waltz