The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #7941
newfan
Mad Scientist

I feel inspired to draw or write at times, often browsing at the art supplies in stores but don't have talent there, still, always the option for classes or just practice.

Last edited by newfan; 01-19-2018 at 09:37 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #7942
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

is there a way to get rid of suggested groups on facebook?

ad blocker doesn't seem to remove it and it just clutters up the page.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #7943
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I feel inspired to draw or write at times, often browsing that the art supplies in stores but don't have talent there, still, always the option for classes or just practice.
This resonates with me hard.
Nothing makes me feel like undergoing some massive creative endeavor like wandering through an art supply store.
Now mind you the only craft I partaken is knitting and occasional cosplay, and yet I have this abundance of art supplies.

I told myself a few years ago I was going to try to teach myself how to draw, this has yet to happen.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #7944
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

First day of liquidation at my store... Had to be in early to help get the first week of sale signs up. So sad. Almost feels a little like seeing someone go into hospice care, but for a nearly 55-year-old store instead.

On the plus side, at least I got a good, much needed happy maker in the mail.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:13 PM   #7945
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

God dang patriots.

I'd love a sony style email hack to show at least 60% of their games where one via cheating by the NFL to make them a WWE style 'villain'.

BTW, why was that game over at 1:24 with a score so close? the Vikings won with 10 seconds left.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #7946
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Yeah not happy the Patriots won. I fully believe they are paying refs to look away or make calls in their favor. And then theres that issue of deflated balls and spying on the other team's playcalls or whatever.....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #7947
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well if my dad's beloved Eagles -- damn him for not being alive to see this after I grew up with him always yelling at the tv because the Eagles sucked for most of forever! -- manage to hold on to the lead they have right now (currently showing the Vikings who is boss in their home) and end up going head to head with the Patriots in the Super Bowl, that's entirely okay if you root for the Eagles.

I believe they've supposedly only gotten that far twice before and lost both. Last time I think was against...the Patriots. If it ends up that same match up, well I hope it's a bloodbath this time, figuratively speaking.

(In reply to Vegita-San, but you too Duckie if applicable. )

Dang... came back from half time and the 7 to 21 turned into 7 to 31, so far in 3rd quarter. (Really, when did these guys turn good...? lol) Would be something else if they got to teach the Patriots a lesson then.

--------------------------

Grind...

Oh god, I hate liquidation. I do not like the looks of what may feel like having Black Friday for a few months. (Figures they only care to come shop now that we'll be losing our jobs and feel no need to behave with any ounce of consideration toward employees.) Damn I wish I wasn't made to work every god damned weekend. So burned out from this one and dreading that I still don't get a day off until Tues. *cries*

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-21-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #7948
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I've had a weird headache all day...
Old 01-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #7949
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

even the people who don't follow these things are starting to think the refs are on the patriots payroll..and it all started with a dubious call against a winning jets team.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #7950
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Woohoo!

I knew there was good reason I wanted to put an Eagles flag by dad's headstone. If there's something after this life and it can come with free seats to any game/event you want, then somewhere my dad is losing his mind.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:19 AM   #7951
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I feel inspired to draw or write at times, often browsing at the art supplies in stores but don't have talent there, still, always the option for classes or just practice.
I think talent with reference to drawing is just an innate understanding of how to translate thoughts into images. That’s how some people draw – they see what they want to draw in their mind and put it on paper. When people I know have told me they have no artistic talent, they usually mean that they don’t understand how to go about it; it doesn’t make sense to them.

Not everyone does it that way, and you don’t need to intuitively know how to do it – you can learn. There are a lot of artists who take a more structural approach by using techniques to plan and execute drawings, so you can learn to draw technically even if visualisation doesn’t come naturally to you. You can find a lot of information on the net these days, and there are loads of YouTube tutorials that you can study to give you some grounding in technique and theory – the rest is motivation and repetition.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:35 AM   #7952
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quite often, drawing what I have in my head rarely works out. Especially when what I want to draw is a little trickier than I anticipated. Or I don't know how to make it work because Utroms are surprisingly pains in the butt to draw, contrary to one might think
Old 01-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #7953
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

That's the part that drives me crazy... I can visualize it really well. And then when I wish I could translate that into a drawing my hand however sits there like, "I have no idea WTF you're talking about, woman!"

I want so much to be one of those people who just has that instinctive knack for it, and I don't. And while I have a lot of patience for many things, I just don't have a whole lot of it for that. Having to practice and learn for a long time before I can finally translate onto paper/computer what I actually see in my head (and even then it may very well never match it enough) just isn't all that appealing.

Worse, I'd want to be able to do more realistic stuff, too, not just cartoony stuff, and no way in hell is that ever happening. lol

Once in a while I can do slightly okay-ish with Photoshop, but even then it's never what I wish it was.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:08 PM   #7954
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
That's the part that drives me crazy... I can visualize it really well. And then when I wish I could translate that into a drawing my hand however sits there like, "I have no idea WTF you're talking about, woman!"
same here. well, minus the woman part ;o)

I'm a TAD better at it in CGI, oddly, but not by much. the computer does half the body work, the rest is just making the shapes into a mold that is needed.

but pen to paper, forget about it.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #7955
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, I'm better with the 3D programs as well, though I'm better with objects rather than characters, which kind of kills me too.

Even there I want to be one of those people who can blur the lines between CGI and reality, being able to make something believably real, but so far I can't.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:17 AM   #7956
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
I think talent with reference to drawing is just an innate understanding of how to translate thoughts into images. That’s how some people draw – they see what they want to draw in their mind and put it on paper. When people I know have told me they have no artistic talent, they usually mean that they don’t understand how to go about it; it doesn’t make sense to them.

Not everyone does it that way, and you don’t need to intuitively know how to do it – you can learn. There are a lot of artists who take a more structural approach by using techniques to plan and execute drawings, so you can learn to draw technically even if visualisation doesn’t come naturally to you. You can find a lot of information on the net these days, and there are loads of YouTube tutorials that you can study to give you some grounding in technique and theory – the rest is motivation and repetition.
Yes some people have natural ability to express their thoughts, through both/either art and writing than others... but as you say, techniques can be learned. It's just putting the time in if you have it. I thought that being a dreamy type person this would be easy for me but actually it doesn't flow out by itself. (for me)

Last edited by newfan; 01-23-2018 at 01:23 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #7957
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

boss baby gets an oscar nom?

can hollywood be any more transparent?
Old 01-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #7958
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, I'm better with the 3D programs as well, though I'm better with objects rather than characters, which kind of kills me too.
yep, same here. objects turn out better than people...frustrating as heck.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #7959
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Some companies give out $1000 bonuses others give out blankies.

Guess it's time to dust off the ole résumé.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:05 PM   #7960
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I've been having a really weird period of feeling down.

Mostly my portfolio revisions not being completed because not everything is together. And having to depend on other people for rides to places - first because I don't have my own car and that it's been a year since I've driven myself anywhere.

All of those together making job hunting difficult.

And then there's the issue of missing my international friends and wanting to spend time with them. But because they're international friends, my time with them is generally going to be limited.

Drawing and writing have been difficult; I've felt some self-consciousness about my ability to make complex backgrounds and I have a lot of ideas for writing that haven't been able to come out.

I think I'm just having a bad, static month.