The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-30-2018, 05:06 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Good games you don't love

So, we all know there's lots of good and universally loved games(and movies, tv shows, etc) out there, but ofc not everyone likes the same things, so obviously there's some stuff out there that's generally considered good or great but you don't love.

The first major example I can think of is The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. It has good gameplay sure, and the graphics are nice and sailing was an interesting mechanic; but I dunno, I think it lacks something. For one thing, it's way too easy. Ok, Ocarina of Time wasn't super hard either, but at least, the 3 times I've fully replayed it, I've always died a few times in it or felt like I was close to dying. I never got to know what the game over screen of WW looks like and rarely felt in severe danger. The game doesn't really give you a sense of tension.

Also, I notice a lot of people who praise WW mostly focus on the atmosphere. For me, the game is fine up until the Tower of the Gods, a pretty fun dungeon with a great boss fight, but after that I began losing interest.

Sailing can be a bit annoying at times too, having to play the wind song or wtv it was to change direction, and the triforce quest was boring. That made the game feel a bit incomplete, as in the developers having some complex plans for the triforce but finding themselves on a time constraint. I'd rather just be handed the triforce or just simply not being given at all. That didn't bother me in Ocarina, for example.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is another one. This is my least favourite of the classic Mega Drive Sonic games. While it's nice to be able to save your progress for once and being able to play as Knuckles, I can't stand some of the levels in this game. Marble Garden and Carnival Night zones are awful. Marble Garden, in particular, is particularly tedious and just seems to drag on and on. Ice Cap Zone is also pretty overrated, imo.

I'd rather even play Sonic 1, despite this game having aged the worse of all the classic Sonic games.

I won't list games I loved as a kid but have stopped loving since then due to ageing, nor will I list games I haven't gotten very far into; but I must say I can't tell what's so special about Super Metroid so far and that has sorta demotivated me to keep on playing it. Maybe it just isn't my type of game, dunno.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Note: I won’t list games that I used to love when I was younger but not anymore.

Off the top of my head,
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
River City Ransom

I couldn’t get into FFVI or Chrono Trigger. Got tired of both games early on. Square developed games don’t appeal to me I think.

River City Ransom’s difficulty was just too hard for me and I stopped playing it early on as well.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Note: I won’t list games that I used to love when I was younger but not anymore.

Off the top of my head,
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
River City Ransom

I couldn’t get into FFVI or Chrono Trigger. Got tired of both games early on. Square developed games don’t appeal to me I think.

River City Ransom’s difficulty was just too hard for me and I stopped playing it early on as well.
I played the crap out of River City Ransom when I was younger
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

The Smash Bros. franchise (like it but I can never get used to the floaty HAL Labs engine). Most of the FPS genre. Most RPGs. Most AAA games which focus on story campaigns.

Ironically, Wind Waker (Wii U version) was the title that finally got me interested enough in a 3D Zelda game to finish it and come close to 100%. I found the sailing sequences relaxing and beautiful to look at, and I understand it is better paced than the Gamecube original. I'm almost finished with the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time, and it's great, but I wanted to explore some more before finishing the story mode.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

I never liked Half-Life 2. It looks great (even after 14 years) and controls great, I just find it way too slow and simple.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

As a Playstation fanboy, I don't like the Uncharted series.

As a Nintendo fanboy, I'm not too fond of the 3D Mario games.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

The Metroid Prime games. I much prefer the side-scrolling Metroid games.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:46 AM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I never liked Half-Life 2. It looks great (even after 14 years) and controls great, I just find it way too slow and simple.
While I do love Half Life 2 and other source titles, I don't feel as attached to them as their GoldSrc counterparts/prequels.

The Source engine feels very "cartoony" to me in a certain sense, not something which I don't like it, love it infact, but I like the GoldSrc feel more (especially in Counter-Strike.)

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:48 AM   #9
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

I played Prey last year and I didn't care for it but a lot people liked it.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:13 AM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I played Prey last year and I didn't care for it but a lot people liked it.
Well, I guess it does kind of come across as System Shock and Bioshock's inbred baby?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #11
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

I love me some Final Fantasy, but 7 is highly over rated. There are better Final Fantasy games like 6 and 5. Hell I put 2 over 7, because Guy can speak Beaver.

My all time favorite is 8 though.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #12
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
The Metroid Prime games. I much prefer the side-scrolling Metroid games.
I have yet to even beat the first Metroid Prime, even though I have the trilogy for Wii.

Also, I don't particularly like Fusion compared to Zero Mission, Super, and Samus Returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote