The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 04-21-2018, 01:28 AM   #21
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Hm, 2 steps forward, 100 steps back. This is so stupid. It's like people don't want kids to learn how to deal with disappointment or loss or any of that other stuff you have to learn to deal with as kids so you can deal with it as adults. People move away, people grow apart, it's a part of life. The generations coming WILL be nothing but delicate little snowflakes who can't handle any type of negativity or finding healthy ways to deal with that negativity.

Anyway, I doubt kids will actually go by this, though. They'll probably still have a best friend regardless. It's only natural.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:05 AM   #22
newfan
Mad Scientist

While I get what some mean by 'Best', when used here it doesn't mean someone is better than someone else, for I don't know how long it has just meant a child's/persons closest friend, most see it that way.
TrutleWA, agreed on inclusion and encouraging a wider number of friends, this is being done is schools (I assume across the board) and is a good thing, preventing close friendships is different (I know you didn't say it wasn't btw, I'm just continuing on), this is natural to all of us, but as pointed out, that isn't what the article was about.

... I got into 2012's trutles and I end up here taking about best friends ....LOL

Last edited by newfan; 04-21-2018 at 06:36 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #23
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
... I got into 2012's trutles and I end up here taking about best friends ....LOL
The folks around here have a lot of feelings.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #24
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Oh, that post wasn't meant as complaint, I just found it funny getting into some conversations and then remembering why I came here to start

Last edited by newfan; 04-21-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #25
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
If your under the impression that folks are trying to take friends away, stopping kids from making friends or forming close bonds. Then you have missed the point. No one is wanting to do any of that.
Then what exactly it will achieve? Alright, you banned the word, but kids still will make best friends with someone. So what's the point?

Why rising generation of fragile hypocrites who will say one thing, but do the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Can't have one kid feeling privileged and another kid feeling inferior now...
Seems some people definitely operate on this logic, no matter how little sense it does.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #26
Casey
Stone Warrior

You guys get offended by every clickbait article the media posts. “They can’t say best friends!? This is because they started letting boys wear pink! I knew this would happen!” But then someone is like “Hey, you’re using the wrong pronouns and it really sucks so...” and you scream “Stop being offended!!!”
Old 04-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #27
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
And opinions. I think that is a good thing btw imo. I like the folks around here bc of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Then what exactly it will achieve? Alright, you banned the word, but kids still will make best friends with someone. So what's the point?
Read the article in OP and it may offer insights into what the school is hoping to achieve. I can’t help you beyond that.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #28
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Political correctness gone mad.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #29
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
You guys get offended by every clickbait article the media posts. “They can’t say best friends!? This is because they started letting boys wear pink! I knew this would happen!” But then someone is like “Hey, you’re using the wrong pronouns and it really sucks so...” and you scream “Stop being offended!!!”
Funny how this works, right?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #30
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

My mother is the director of a pre-school. And if I know anything about my mother, she would call great b-s on this .
Old 04-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #31
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Dissaproving of something does not equal to being offended.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 04-21-2018 at 05:24 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #32
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, there's a big difference between what "best friend" means to a nine year old and a four year old.

I'd surmount the whole issue in this particular school being from someone higher up in staff being sick of "best friend" being "weaponized" as described earlier. It's a dumb reason, but it's the best I can think of.

Right around Duckling's age, I would guess that kids start to scale back on that "Bestie Warfare".

(Though, I'm not really one to talk, as I didn't exactly have a "best friend" in school, on account of being the weird kid with a double whammy of being very early bloomer)
Old 04-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #33
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Yeah, there's a big difference between what "best friend" means to a nine year old and a four year old.

I'd surmount the whole issue in this particular school being from someone higher up in staff being sick of "best friend" being "weaponized" as described earlier. It's a dumb reason, but it's the best I can think of.

Right around Duckling's age, I would guess that kids start to scale back on that "Bestie Warfare".

(Though, I'm not really one to talk, as I didn't exactly have a "best friend" in school, on account of being the weird kid with a double whammy of being very early bloomer)
I'm not sure the difference is so much what it means as how they deal with it at those ages. A nine (10 in her case) year old realizes that people have different interests and tastes, so they don't internalize it as much, where the 4 year old see it as one person getting more attention from the friend even though they are friends with both. That makes a difference, I think. It's all in the maturity level of the friendship.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #34
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Enough of the Personal sniping/attacks... you can debate this stuff, but stop it with getting PERSONAL.
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #35
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Apologies, Machias. That might have been a bit over the line. I do feel however that certain behavior has been going on too long, mainly concerning belittling the opinions and beliefs of others here, and especially treating anyone with differing views as "leftie snowflakes". That is a violation of rules, isn't it?

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:25 AM   #36
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:

I can relate a little to the last part of that only I was fortunate to have had a few close friends.
I found that 'best friend' issues came as an older child rather than a younger one, you spend time with another child (without the best friend) and you are called out by class members, that mindset had gone by the teens years but I still had a close friend who I was with most of the time besides having other friends. (she's remained a good friend)

I don't think it's the description or that a child has a close friend that is an issue, it's the taunting 'nah, you aren't my best friend, he is' or pairing and not playing with others also, that's what I meant earlier about encouraging inclusion and friendships instead.

Last edited by newfan; 04-22-2018 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:35 AM   #37
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That's actually a good point...and probably part of why "best friend" can be weaponized. Especially when they want to deliberately isolate other children. Which does happen in preschools.

Of course, the big problem is, what preschooler is going to abide by this "rule"?
If anything, they would probably have made the problem worse.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:40 AM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee View Post
Enough of the Personal sniping/attacks... you can debate this stuff, but stop it with getting PERSONAL.
That's fair.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:29 AM   #39
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
That's actually a good point...and probably part of why "best friend" can be weaponized. Especially when they want to deliberately isolate other children. Which does happen in preschools.

Of course, the big problem is, what preschooler is going to abide by this "rule"?
If anything, they would probably have made the problem worse.
Yes there is a difference in what you can expect an older child to understand. We have people who are closer to than others but obviously think differently, we wouldn't turn to a colleague at work and say 'I like you but ,<whatever name> is my favourite person here, I like you 2nd best,

Last edited by newfan; 04-22-2018 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:37 AM   #40
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Who can weaponize it?
Little kids?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
progress, projecting onto others