The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
WolvDragon
Mouser

Do you consider TMNT 2007 apart of the 90s live action movie universe?

I sometimes wondered if the 2007 CGI TMNT movie was ever apart of the original 90s movie verse.

I think the director said it was but I'm having trouble find his words about it on google. I think someone else said it was in it's own universe.

The inclusion of Karai in this movie really throws it off continuity wise. I mean she was never established in the original trilogy. But yet shes here in charge of the Foot Clan.

Is TMNT (2007) really TMNT 4? Was it suppose to but it became it's own thing?
WolvDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

I dunno, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It can kind go either way, so it's best left to personal preference, I say. Not 100% on the official word, though I do think he (Kevin Munroe) had wanted it to be loosely connected to them.

For me it's like, there's a fork in the road where The Next Mutation & TMNT meet, it's your call as to which one is where the original trilogy potentially branched off. I like TNM more than TMNT, so if made to choose I go with that.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I look at the 2007 film as an amalgam universe of the live-action films and the 4Kids series.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #4
snake
Disgusting

I do. I also liked 2007 a lot more than most here. Underrated and enjoyable movie.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
Editor's Note Comics
Foot Soldier

If it wasn't for all of the pop songs in the 2007 movie, I would probably count it. But I don't consider a movie that features Vanilla Ice connected to a movie playing POD in the same universe.
Editor's Note Comics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolvDragon View Post
I sometimes wondered if the 2007 CGI TMNT movie was ever apart of the original 90s movie verse.

I think the director said it was but I'm having trouble find his words about it on google. I think someone else said it was in it's own universe.

The inclusion of Karai in this movie really throws it off continuity wise. I mean she was never established in the original trilogy. But yet shes here in charge of the Foot Clan.

Is TMNT (2007) really TMNT 4? Was it suppose to but it became it's own thing?
It is like Superman Returns is to the 4 that came before it. It is loosely connected,like a soft reboot.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #7
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Personally, I consider the 07 CGI movie it's own thing with a few small throwbacks. Sooooo much potential squandered.

I'm curious is the unproduced Barron Hallmark project was intended to be connected to the original movie.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
neatoman
Emperor

There are some hints that it takes place in the same continuity but it obviously takes place long enough after TMNT III for it to be irrelevant.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #9
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor's Note Comics View Post
If it wasn't for all of the pop songs in the 2007 movie, I would probably count it. But I don't consider a movie that features Vanilla Ice connected to a movie playing POD in the same universe.
I liked the song
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nowadays I see the 2007 movie having more in common with the Nick cartoon than anything else. You just have to ignore Karai not being familiar with the Turtles, but even that is glossed over in the movie really quickly.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #11
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
It is like Superman Returns is to the 4 that came before it. It is loosely connected,like a soft reboot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
There are some hints that it takes place in the same continuity but it obviously takes place long enough after TMNT III for it to be irrelevant.
That's about how I felt about it. I was looking forward to the next movie, the one they were obviously setting up but we never got. As its own thing, I feel TMNT is alright, and at least a hell of an improvement on III. If we'd gotten a proper TMNT V as a follow-up, I'd think of it as the proper TMNT IV today.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #12
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I do. I also liked 2007 a lot more than most here. Underrated and enjoyable movie.
Me too. For every fault in that movie it made up for it by doing something pretty great. Its faults aren't even that big of problems really. I enjoy that movie more than a lot of episodes of the 4Kids series, not gonna lie. (And seriously, the Nightwatcher arc needs to be brought up again. It's a pretty damn good story for Raph)

Last edited by Aaronardo; 06-26-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Hey, here's a crazy idea...

TMNT 2k7 is actually an alternate future of the Nick toon!

View my sketch work!
Old 06-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #14
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

It can be if it wants to be, far as I'm concerned. Although it's annoying since the tie-in comics reference Triceratons so that means we're "missing" a potentially interesting "movie".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor's Note Comics View Post
You're living in a universe that plays both Vanilla Ice and POD right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Hey, here's a crazy idea...

TMNT 2k7 is actually an alternate future of the Nick toon!
Would explain why April and Casey don't seem to be like 5-10 years older than the turtles.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #15
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post

Would explain why April and Casey don't seem to be like 5-10 years older than the turtles.
I think 2k7 Casey has a similar build to Nick Casey. Most other versions make him into a muscled dude.

I was just thinking today how weird it must be for a kid who first knew the Turtles through the Nick toon to discover the 2007 movie and wonder if it's supposed to be the same characters.

View my sketch work!
Old 06-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #16
sdp
-

I followed this movie heavily here in the drome and the director was very vague about things but basically would always say this was a new universe and it clearly was meant to be a new universe. If you want to know Monroe specifically flip flopped from the first one being in continuity to maybe the first two but that it was its own thing etc. In the end we have the trophy room which ironically has TMNT III references which he never mentioned as possibly happening.

I was part of the IT HAS TO BE TMNT IV camp as many were and was happy ot have the trophy room but after seeing the movie and reading the tie-in stuff I realized it made no sense to shoehorn it into the movie continuity. First of all the movies don't add up, the first trilogy are clearly taking place in the late 80s/early 90s while this is a modern world. Pretty much all characters act very differently. The trophy room is pretty much filled with stuff all incarnations of the turtles have done like defeat Shredder, the canister, time scepter and has stuff the movie turtles didn't do as well but have done in many other incarnations like the triceratons and mousers.

However the tie-in comics and kids novels like "who's the nightwatcher" make references to characters like Silver Sentry and flesh out this universe as its own thing. If we'd gotten more movies in this universe it would've definitely become a different universe. And while the fandom may hate it The Next Mutation actually has way more connections and references to the original trilogy making that one more of a sequel to the three films than the 2007 one.

That's my argument, and yeah I'm also now in the camp that "as long as there aren't any huge contradictions" I will shoehorn it into the Nick universe, just so it doesn't feel so alone.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #17
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

April running a (false?) import/export business would be a good starting point for some kind of international TMNT comic or TV show or something.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:17 PM   #18
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I followed this movie heavily here in the drome and the director was very vague about things but basically would always say this was a new universe and it clearly was meant to be a new universe. If you want to know Monroe specifically flip flopped from the first one being in continuity to maybe the first two but that it was its own thing etc. In the end we have the trophy room which ironically has TMNT III references which he never mentioned as possibly happening.

I was part of the IT HAS TO BE TMNT IV camp as many were and was happy ot have the trophy room but after seeing the movie and reading the tie-in stuff I realized it made no sense to shoehorn it into the movie continuity. First of all the movies don't add up, the first trilogy are clearly taking place in the late 80s/early 90s while this is a modern world. Pretty much all characters act very differently. The trophy room is pretty much filled with stuff all incarnations of the turtles have done like defeat Shredder, the canister, time scepter and has stuff the movie turtles didn't do as well but have done in many other incarnations like the triceratons and mousers.

However the tie-in comics and kids novels like "who's the nightwatcher" make references to characters like Silver Sentry and flesh out this universe as its own thing. If we'd gotten more movies in this universe it would've definitely become a different universe. And while the fandom may hate it The Next Mutation actually has way more connections and references to the original trilogy making that one more of a sequel to the three films than the 2007 one.

That's my argument, and yeah I'm also now in the camp that "as long as there aren't any huge contradictions" I will shoehorn it into the Nick universe, just so it doesn't feel so alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
April running a (false?) import/export business would be a good starting point for some kind of international TMNT comic or TV show or something.
Man, you two really make me want a new mini-series based off the Imagi continuity.

View my sketch work!
Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #19
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nowadays I see the 2007 movie having more in common with the Nick cartoon than anything else. You just have to ignore Karai not being familiar with the Turtles, but even that is glossed over in the movie really quickly.
But I thought she does recognize the Turtles when she sees them?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:29 AM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I think 2k7 Casey has a similar build to Nick Casey. Most other versions make him into a muscled dude.

I was just thinking today how weird it must be for a kid who first knew the Turtles through the Nick toon to discover the 2007 movie and wonder if it's supposed to be the same characters.
April in the 2007 movie also looks like an adult version of Nick April. She literally has the same face, hair style, etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tmnt 2007