The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 02-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #81
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
State your reasons instead of just saying no? Otherwise people can't see your view.
I'll post on your wall as to not completely derail this thread.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42

Last edited by THGhost; 02-05-2017 at 04:25 PM.
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #82
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
I can certainly agree with this. After having seen the first two Alien films back-to-back, I can see why people like Aliens more, but I kinda think that the original is better. While the sequal expanded the mythos and provided more action, it lacked the focus on the story and characterization the original had. Aliens just isn't as suspenseful as its predecessor, and just can't beat the classic, even though it's still a fantastic movie.
The original Alien was more psychological. It played around claustrophobia, the unknown, tensions, etc. Like Michael Myers in the original Halloween, the creature had an omnipresent sense to it. It could be anywhere, pop out at any place.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #83
RaphaelsIsolation
Hench Mutant

No it can't be topped. TMNT hit a peak around 1989-1991. In those years it was at it's best in everyway I think.

The only way the first movie could ever be challenged is if they went back to the humanoid turtles, and remade some of the comics into movies with a spin.

I mean who wouldn't love to see City at War in movie form?
RaphaelsIsolation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #84
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You and I think exactly the same way on this.
Add me to the list! In fact I like the original Terminator much more than T2. The original is a brilliant sci-fi/horror/noir film that stands on it's own without any sequels. It's like a really good Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episode.

T2 and all the other sequels are just explody action movies, that are fun to watch, and entertaining but not some kind of "masterpiece" that surpasses the original (and their existence kind of undermines what made the original so brilliant).

Anyway, I don't think it's impossible to make a TMNT film as good as or better than the first 1990 movie. It's just very unlikely while TMNT is owned by a company that sees it primarily as a kid's toy franchise. But, if they would just give it to a good director (NOT MICHAEL BAY!!!), that also cares about TMNT as a whole and is aware of the whole franchise and not just vague memories of the FW cartoon. It could still happen.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #85
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
while TMNT is owned by a company that sees it primarily as a kid's toy franchise. But, if they would just give it to a good director (NOT MICHAEL BAY!!!), that also cares about TMNT as a whole and is aware of the whole franchise and not just vague memories of the FW cartoon
In other words... zero chance anytime in the foreseeable future.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #86
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelsIsolation View Post
No it can't be topped. TMNT hit a peak around 1989-1991. In those years it was at it's best in everyway I think.

The only way the first movie could ever be challenged is if they went back to the humanoid turtles, and remade some of the comics into movies with a spin.

I mean who wouldn't love to see City at War in movie form?
What do you mean by "back to humanoid"? They've always been humanoid.

& personally, I don't really want a CAW movie. It wouldn't be true to the comics even if they did it, anyway.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #87
RaphaelsIsolation
Hench Mutant

I mean more like the original look. Not so bulky and turtle like I guess.

The last 2 movies had them more realistic looking and bulky I guess. I'd like them to be human looking like the original 3 movies.

Yeah I mean it would get murdered... but I would love a movie from the comics somehow. Wouldn't that be cool?
Old 02-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #88
Powder
So tired of this place

Got ya. I don't really consider the PD designs to be more turtle-like, myself. The plastron & carapace aren't even connected, bad news for their physicality. But yeah, we all long for a more traditional TMNT design, I'm sure.

Of couse it would be cool, but it's gotta be right. & as 4kids, Nick & others have proved, it's not easy getting Mirage right, if by comics you mean Mirage. The first flick (1990) was a pretty strong pull of that material but even they could've done better. I don't think we'll ever get anything closer to them than that, especially now that the goofy ass Fred Wolf stuff is being further cemented into infamy as the "definitive" vision by people who don't even care about the property as much as we do.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #89
RaphaelsIsolation
Hench Mutant

Yeah the OT is kinda wacky and I guess bad overall. I mean it has a large place in my heart for being "good" when it isn't actually "good".

I just grew up with it, and it is what I like most honestly. The style, the fun part of it.. I prefer it to the 4kids version.

Outside of the 1st couple seasons, the 10 years it was out, 2/3 of it was mundane, and blah overall. Truth be told the 4kids is better I guess, but my favorite will always be the OT.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #90
THGhost
Puppet Master

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. I bet the average person isn't even aware that there are other versions of TMNT besides the 80s cartoon; maybe the PD movies.

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

Old 02-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #91
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I know this is tmnt related but as overall in the industry, many films surpassed the original. It's possible.

Terminator 2.
Toy Story 2.
The Dark Knight.
Star Wars : The Empire Strikes Back.
The Lord of the Rings : Return of the King
Hobbit : The Battle of the Five Armies
Aliens
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Mad Max: Fury Road
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Batman Returns
Probably have to disagree on all of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
I actually personally don't consider neither Aliens nor T2 to be better than the original. I used to think that way when I was younger and thought "bigger and more action" meant "better movie." But as I've gotten older, I think they are good, but not better than their originals.
Couldn't agree more. The original somehow always works better because it's the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Nostalgia is a powerful thing. I bet the average person isn't even aware that there are other versions of TMNT besides the 80s cartoon; maybe the PD movies.
Why would they? They never grew up with other versions of the Turtles. Anyway I'm proud to like the Fred Wolf series. I see nothing wrong with it.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #92
RaphaelsIsolation
Hench Mutant

I mean its all subjective...

In general I do believe the original film is always going to be better.

I do think The Empire Strikes Back is better than "A New Hope" for sure though. And who in the hell doesn't think "Dark Knight" isn't better than Batman Begins.

That is almost a crime. Ledger's performance is a masterpiece.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #93
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I bet the average person isn't even aware that there are other versions of TMNT besides the 80s cartoon
I bet the "Average Person" nowadays beyond us old fogeys isn't even aware of that version. But now they're being constantly reminded of it and reinforced time and again that "That's the TMNT." By the nostalgiacs.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #94
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
The Nick cartoon and IDW comic have been very popular, there's got to be people who know about them. The IDW comic averages 16,000-20,000 sales per issue, then there's the trades.

The Nick cartoon had 1-3 million viewers per most episodes.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #95
RaphaelsIsolation
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I bet the "Average Person" nowadays beyond us old fogeys isn't even aware of that version. But now they're being constantly reminded of it and reinforced time and again that "That's the TMNT." By the nostalgiacs.
Well that is why it's called the "original toon" dude.

And thanks for replying to my PM I sent you, real classy.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #96
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Maybe not in the UK, but definitely here stateside. There's Nick TMNT merch in literally every store you could possibly think of, & it's been that way for 4 years now. & I don't mean just toys, I mean all kinds of stuff. Pillows & blankets, clothes, party supplies, home decor, office supplies, virtually anything you can think of, & it's sprinkled all throughout these places, you can't miss it.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #97
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

I bet there a lot more than you think who are aware of TMNT outside the 80s cartoon. A lot of people who grew up watching it as a kid now have kids who watch the new show.

There is also a generation that grew up with the 2000s cartoon and many of those people have kids who might possibly watch the Nick show.

Plus, the earlier generation grew up with the 90s movies and I am sure many of the latter watched those movies, as well, not to mention the 2007 film and the PD films.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #98
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Nostalgia aside, I don't think any movie made in this era will ever be as good as the 1990 TMNT film. People today think of the TMNT as a kid's franshise. and to most (not to me), the Fred Wolf cartoon is the definitive incarnation. Worse than that, the casual public thinks the TMNT are composed of four Michelangelos, Very annoying...

Quote:
It's already a tie for me with 2014 film so I can see it being surpassed currently or in the future.
I know this is tmnt related but as overall in the industry, many films surpassed the original. It's possible.

Terminator 2.
Toy Story 2.
The Dark Knight.
Star Wars : The Empire Strikes Back.
The Lord of the Rings : Return of the King
Hobbit : The Battle of the Five Armies
Aliens
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Mad Max: Fury Road
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Batman Returns
I also disagree with most of that list. Batman Returns better than Batman 1989? Mad Max Fury Road better than Mad Max 1978?? Aliens Better than Alien??? No way in hell!!!

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"

Last edited by Anarchistguy; 02-09-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #99
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post
I also disagree with most of that list. Batman Returns better than Batman 1989? Mad Max Fury Road better than Mad Max 1978?? Aliens Better than Alien??? No way in hell!!!
Quote:
Batman Returns better than Batman 1989? Mad Max Fury Road better than Mad Max 1978?? Aliens Better than Alien??? No way in hell!!!
Batman Returns is better than Batman 1989, and Mad Max: Fury Road is heaps better than Mad Max 1978. C'mon, the only thing of note that happens in Mad Max 1978 is his family dying, and The Road Warrior tells you that right at the start. The rest of the movie is a snoozefest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Why would they? They never grew up with other versions of the Turtles. Anyway I'm proud to like the Fred Wolf series. I see nothing wrong with it.
Because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Nick cartoon and IDW comic have been very popular, there's got to be people who know about them. The IDW comic averages 16,000-20,000 sales per issue, then there's the trades.

The Nick cartoon had 1-3 million viewers per most episodes.
...this is why.

Oh and Cubed, people who read the comics are obviously going to know about the different versions of TMNT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Maybe not in the UK, but definitely here stateside. There's Nick TMNT merch in literally every store you could possibly think of, & it's been that way for 4 years now. & I don't mean just toys, I mean all kinds of stuff. Pillows & blankets, clothes, party supplies, home decor, office supplies, virtually anything you can think of, & it's sprinkled all throughout these places, you can't miss it.
I envy those places. The only thing related to the 2K3 series I've ever seen for sale in recent years is the "rare" UK/AU DVD of Turtles Forever. Everything else is FW & Nick.
I'd love to know where "these places" are, because they'd be getting a lot of my money.

I've even met people who think every version of TMNT are the same thing.

Quote:
People today think of the TMNT as a kid's franshise. and to most (not to me), the Fred Wolf cartoon is the definitive incarnation. Worse than that, the casual public thinks the TMNT are composed of four Michelangelos, Very annoying...
This is very true and it irks me so.

Thank goodness places like The Technodrome forums exist.

Quote:
I bet there a lot more than you think who are aware of TMNT outside the 80s cartoon. A lot of people who grew up watching it as a kid now have kids who watch the new show.

There is also a generation that grew up with the 2000s cartoon and many of those people have kids who might possibly watch the Nick show.

Plus, the earlier generation grew up with the 90s movies and I am sure many of the latter watched those movies, as well, not to mention the 2007 film and the PD films.
I sincerely hope you are right.

Quote:
*Shudders*

Last edited by THGhost; 02-21-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #100
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I actually personally don't consider neither Aliens nor T2 to be better than the original. I used to think that way when I was younger and thought "bigger and more action" meant "better movie." But as I've gotten older, I think they are good, but not better than their originals.
Quote:
You and I think exactly the same way on this.
Same here, 100%

It's probably why when I was little I was enthralled with Batman Forever so much considering how it upped the action so much...but it's such a bad movie compared to the first two.

It's not to say that action doesn't have it's place, just as long as mindless, expensive looking action isn't the main idea. Look at that first Raid movie, it has such a simple plot but it's insanely focused and the action helps tell the story instead of a mindless detour.