The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-09-2022, 01:46 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Futurama (Hulu)

Quote:
Good news, everyone! “Futurama” is being revived at Hulu.

Variety has learned that the streaming service has ordered 20 new episodes of the adult animated sci-fi comedy series. The revival hails from David X. Cohen and Matt Groening. Cohen developed the original series with Groening, the series creator.

Original series cast members Billy West, Katey Sagal, Tress MacNeille, Maurice LaMarche, Lauren Tom, Phil LaMarr and David Herman will all return. John DiMaggio, who voiced Bender and several minor characters, is not currently attached. According to an individual with knowledge of the project, the producers are hopeful DiMaggio will return. Should that not happen, Bender will be recast.

Production will begin this month with an eye towards a 2023 premiere.

“I’m thrilled to have another chance to think about the future… or really anything other than the present,” said Cohen.

“It’s a true honor to announce the triumphant return of ‘Futurama’ one more time before we get canceled abruptly again,” added Groening.

“Futurama” focuses on the life of Philip Fry (West), a 25-year-old pizza delivery boy who accidentally freezes himself on December 31, 1999 and wakes up 1,000 years later with a fresh start at life and a new group of friends including Leela (Sagal), a tough but lovely one-eyed alien, and Bender, a robot who is fond of drinking excessively, smoking cigars, and stealing anything not nailed down.

“When presented with the opportunity to bring fans and viewers new episodes of ‘Futurama,’ we couldn’t wait to dive in,” said Craig Erwich, president of Hulu Originals and ABC Entertainment. “This iconic series helped blaze the trail for the success of adult animation since its initial launch and we look forward to Matt & David continuing to pave the way and further establishing Hulu as the premiere destination for fans of the genre.”

20th Television Animation is producing “Futurama” with Rough Draft Studios, Inc. contributing the animation.

This marks the second time the show has been brought back since it originally launched in 1999. After its initial four-season run on Fox, reruns of the show found new life as part of the Adult Swim lineup on Cartoon Network and on DVD. Four direct-to-video films were then produced, which were later re-edited into a fifth season that aired on Comedy Central starting in 2008. Comedy Central would go on to air two more seasons consisting of 26 episodes each between 2010 and 2013.

The show developed a strong cult following over the years and was also met with critical success. It was nominated for 14 Emmy Awards in total, winning six, including best animated program twice as well as winning twice for best individual achievement in animation. LaMarche won twice for best voiceover performance.

“What I love about animation is that it’s possible for a successful show to take a pause and then resume years later, even on a different platform, and pick up right where it left off. ‘Futurama’ is one of those shows,” said Marci Proietto, head of 20th Television Animation. “The excitement from Hulu about returning Matt and David’s genius creation for all-new episodes has been off the charts. I’m thrilled that this incredible team will get to tell more stories, and that our Planet Express crew will have more adventures together. It’s a win for the fans who have loved the show since the beginning, and for the ones who will now discover it for the very first time.”

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/fut...lu-1235176203/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:55 PM   #2
Vegita-San
Emperor

that woudl have gutted me, as bender is a favorite. BUT, Dimagio lost me with his absolutely insane TDS posts on twitter. the first of many in hollywood to loose it. has he even done any acting since then?

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:37 PM   #3
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Why do they keep trying to bring this show back? If it's failed more than once on multiple channels, what makes them think it's going to survive on a streaming app?

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:13 PM   #4
Sumac
Banned

I feel like it won't be good, especially with TDS of some people.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:55 PM   #5
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Happy, but worried, lets just hope the SJWs stay away.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 12:43 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I always enjoyed everything Futurama I ever saw. Hopefully this time around it connects more. I wonder if something like "Maybe we can make it more like Rick and Morty this time!" is the general pitch.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:56 AM   #7
Mario500
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
that woudl have gutted me, as bender is a favorite. BUT, Dimagio lost me with his absolutely insane TDS posts on twitter. the first of many in hollywood to loose it. has he even done any acting since then?
"TDS posts on twitter"?
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:06 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500 View Post
"TDS posts on twitter"?
Trump Derangement Syndrome.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:12 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
This revival without Benders VA seems like it's starting on a bad track already
It's hardly a sure thing that he's out. But I've never encountered people so enamored by voice actors as in the TMNT fandom. You can replace a voice, folks.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:15 AM   #10
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
How was the revival seasons?
They were fine, it just became increasingly niche. Not offensively bad, but it didn't have peak early season classics either. I think the movies were the last time they had really memorable stories in the mainstream.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:31 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Futurama has always had a lot of great episodes and then some real mediocre or lackluster episodes. Both the original run and the revival eps. Problem is they stretched out the Fry/Leela romance to the point of absurdity, where it seemed like they finally became a couple only to go back on it like an episode later.

I swear if this new season starts with them being single or broken up again, it will be ridiculous.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 05:28 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's hardly a sure thing that he's out. But I've never encountered people so enamored by voice actors as in the TMNT fandom. You can replace a voice, folks.
Clearly you have never met the Batman fandom.

One of the biggest gripes about the Arkham: Origins video game was simply that Conroy and Hammill were not in it. This was enough to hurt the game in a lot of peoples' eyes. Despite the fact that, after going back to Arkham Asylum again, I can safely say I prefer the replacements they used in Origins as they fit the games' world better. But try telling that to a B:TAS stan.

Point being, while not everyone cares about VAs, those who do care care a LOT.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:00 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Sure enough, they got DiMaggio back.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/dimaggi...r-in-futurama/
Old 03-03-2022, 04:18 AM   #14
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Sure enough, they got DiMaggio back.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/dimaggi...r-in-futurama/
I guess Disney had to bite the shiny metal ass.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:04 AM   #15
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Coolio recorded an episode as Kwanzzabot before he died, they will be going ahead with the episode as a tribute

https://ew.com/tv/coolio-recorded-ne...7c4200012e9923
Old 05-18-2023, 11:34 AM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Coolio recorded an episode as Kwanzzabot before he died, they will be going ahead with the episode
Well I would sure f***ing hope they would!
Old 05-18-2023, 11:49 AM   #18
Coola Yagami
Overlord

So does the series continue with Fry and a Leela as a couple now or did the switch back to will they-won't they?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 12:12 PM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

I really liked Futurama back in the day, but I have zero interest in a new series. The original was long neiguh and satisfying enough already. Don't milk this series forever like you're doing with The Simpsons, Matt Groening.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 12:21 PM   #20
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Remind me, Calculon did remain dead after he was killed off, right?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote