The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Collection Photos

Notices

Old 05-10-2016, 06:30 AM   #3201
cartoonistaaron
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Turtle View Post
Pretty cool cereal box art! Where did you find that?
I got it directly from the guy who ran the marketing firm that produced the art. Got a couple other cool pieces from him too but this one takes the cake!
cartoonistaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #3202
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

DUDE! That cereal box art is incredible! Congrats on the score!

I've always loved the different character designs on random products. For a cartoon/comic property with pretty basic designs, it's weird that there was such little consistency.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #3203
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoonistaaron View Post
I got it directly from the guy who ran the marketing firm that produced the art. Got a couple other cool pieces from him too but this one takes the cake!
Swwwwweeet! Congrats.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #3204
cartoonistaaron
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
DUDE! That cereal box art is incredible! Congrats on the score!

I've always loved the different character designs on random products. For a cartoon/comic property with pretty basic designs, it's weird that there was such little consistency.
This is one thing I LOVE about vintage TMNT licensing art. It's one of the few times that a mainstream character license didn't have a clearly defined model provided by the licensor. If you look at like Ghostbusters stuff, He-Man stuff, Sesame Street, anything around the same time, much of the art is similar and stays on-model (though varying in crudeness). TMNT seemed to have a wide variety of actually good yet totally differing licensing art. I'd love to get a piece of Rose Art puzzle or board game TMNT art.

The owner of the marketing firm said that they tried to match the look of the cartoon by doing all the character work on cels and the backgrounds using airbrush. Much of the art for the other sides of the box is also on animation cels. I hope to end up with all of it eventually but..... $$$$!
Old 05-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #3205
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoonistaaron View Post
This is one thing I LOVE about vintage TMNT licensing art. It's one of the few times that a mainstream character license didn't have a clearly defined model provided by the licensor. If you look at like Ghostbusters stuff, He-Man stuff, Sesame Street, anything around the same time, much of the art is similar and stays on-model (though varying in crudeness). TMNT seemed to have a wide variety of actually good yet totally differing licensing art. I'd love to get a piece of Rose Art puzzle or board game TMNT art.

The owner of the marketing firm said that they tried to match the look of the cartoon by doing all the character work on cels and the backgrounds using airbrush. Much of the art for the other sides of the box is also on animation cels. I hope to end up with all of it eventually but..... $$$$!
Yeah, they nailed the tone of the cartoon, but the models are way off. I'm with you, it has a ton of charm.

The old board game/Rose Art stuff is probably my fav look. I always wanted more of that stuff! Is there any info on the artist out there? I know a user here was bragging about knowing the name of the artist of the SNES video games but would never spill the beans. Such an odd thing to keep mum on, but eh...

I don't collect marketing art, personally, but it's cool seeing it pop up in private collections!
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #3206
cartoonistaaron
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
Yeah, they nailed the tone of the cartoon, but the models are way off. I'm with you, it has a ton of charm.

The old board game/Rose Art stuff is probably my fav look. I always wanted more of that stuff! Is there any info on the artist out there? I know a user here was bragging about knowing the name of the artist of the SNES video games but would never spill the beans. Such an odd thing to keep mum on, but eh...

I don't collect marketing art, personally, but it's cool seeing it pop up in private collections!
Not sure about the Rose Art stuff. Never seen any of that original art show up and I'm sure the artist wasn't working with Mirage, since as far as I know they only did those style turtles for Rose Art.

The guy that knows the artist of the SNES box art is involved with a documentary about video game packaging artwork. Their Kickstarter has about a week to go... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ng-documentary
Old 05-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #3207
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

Does anyone have a method of contacting Talbot that he has responded to recently? He is not responding to me via FB. I saw him at FCBD and told me to send him another one, which I did, but still nothing..... And they are both marked "read". So frustrating
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #3208
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrumh2o View Post
Does anyone have a method of contacting Talbot that he has responded to recently? He is not responding to me via FB. I saw him at FCBD and told me to send him another one, which I did, but still nothing..... And they are both marked "read". So frustrating
Sorry, but I've only contacted him through his facebook account. If I can give any advice with trying to get something special or custom from Eric, it would to be extremely patient. I tried for years to get him to do a commission, and I tried my hardest not to be a pain in the ass. If you sent him a mail, and he saw it, just know that he saw it, and leave it at that. You may need to hit him up at the next con you see him at.

BTW, I must have missed you, or didn't realize I saw you at FCBD. I was hanging with Sofistocat.
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #3209
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Maybe try contacting him through his Etsy store.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #3210
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

I was on the top of the stairs with a Red Sox hat / hood on. I came down for a few min to talk to him and Adam. Were ye one with the Usagi book?
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #3211
Editor's Note Comics
Foot Soldier

It's not in my possession yet, but I purchased this a few weeks ago. It's going to be up in the San Diego Comic Gallery until late July. Then I'll have it up for display in my store for a while before it eventually makes its way back to my house.

Editor's Note Comics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #3212
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Ah, you bought that page? Congrats, I was thinking about that one too had it been available. I would have freaked a little if it was the cover, that's been provisionally sold (with a deposit and payment plan). Currently negotiating a page for myself...
Old 05-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #3213
Editor's Note Comics
Foot Soldier

Thanks. This is the only page I own that I've seen in a book and thought "I'm going to try and buy that one".
Editor's Note Comics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #3214
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor's Note Comics View Post
Thanks. This is the only page I own that I've seen in a book and thought "I'm going to try and buy that one".
If you don't mind me asking where are the Batman/TMNT pages for sale? I would love to get one for my nephew for his graduation present.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #3215
Editor's Note Comics
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTChris1980 View Post
If you don't mind me asking where are the Batman/TMNT pages for sale? I would love to get one for my nephew for his graduation present.
http://www.freddieart.com All of issue #1 is up for sale.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #3216
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
It's not in my possession yet, but I purchased this a few weeks ago. It's going to be up in the San Diego Comic Gallery until late July. Then I'll have it up for display in my store for a while before it eventually makes its way back to my house.

http://www.freddieart.com/Images/Ori...TMNT_01_20.jpg
Nice grab! Congrats!
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #3217
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Quote:
http://www.freddieart.com All of issue #1 is up for sale.
Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I wonder if he signs his prints.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #3218
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Some of you are going to recognise this now...

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1317191
Old 05-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #3219
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:

http://www.freddieart.com/Images/Ori...TMNT_01_20.jpg
Probably the coolest page available on that site. Congrats.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:28 PM   #3220
Jay $tarkiller
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTChris1980 View Post
Sorry, but I've only contacted him through his facebook account. If I can give any advice with trying to get something special or custom from Eric, it would to be extremely patient. I tried for years to get him to do a commission, and I tried my hardest not to be a pain in the ass. If you sent him a mail, and he saw it, just know that he saw it, and leave it at that.
Yeah, that's my experience with Eric too. He's a nice guy, but his communication is nerv wrecking Just try to stay calm. The final piece will heal all wounds