The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #81
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I was pretty impressed. Considering the direction they took with the show, they did a great job translating the relationships between the characters. Archie's love triangle, the friendship between Betty and Veronica - wonderfully cast, those two.

Hard to judge from one episode, but Kevin may have been given a higher status in the cast than Reggie, who I imagine is one of the first five Archie characters people think of. I haven't read a ton of Archie comics since Kevin was created, maybe five years ago? Hopefully, he's well used, and not merely spotlighted as the token homosexual/"gay best friend."

And it was really cool to see the smaller characters, like Dilton, and Moose. Even in brief glimpses, they seemed themselves. I look forward to seeing more of them.

I was surprised to see Archie and his music thing come up so quickly. Is he going to put together a band? I sincerely want to know. Maybe The Archies will have a rivalry with the Pussycats. I'm down.

The Grundy thing is offputting. I know Archie is a mistake machine, but I'm still waffling over whether this is out of character.

My big complaint is that it seems one of my favorite dynamics won't be preserved. That Urkel/Carl kind of relationship between Archie and Mr. Lodge. It's brought me so many laughs, over the years, that it's hard to imagine a universe where Archie can't accidentally destroy Hiram's stuff.

But, overall, I think they've done a good job, and I'm intrigued enough to keep going.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #82
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Okay, I'll just say it... Archie fornicating with one of his teachers is messed up.

Archie and his teacher being possible witnesses to a murder and then agreeing to remain forever silent in order to protect their own tenuous reputations in the community is even more messed up. I hope the in-universe police come after them both with the full force of the fictional law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well...I'm less than 20 minutes in and already thinking I'm done. Very cliché...especially the character that shares my name. Kevin Keller - Gay Best Friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files...3429_200-1.gif

That was definitely the most messed up part I had when watching this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah...that's...wha? Seriously? Why?

I wonder if it's even worth wading through the standard CW teen drama garbage for the mystery plot line...
I'll take one further shot and the mess and say, "kudos to Kevin & 'closet case' Moose" for having the good sense to report a dead body in spite of any social backlash they may have feared from having to explain why they were planning to skinny dip together in the dead of night." (Seriously though... what the heck was that about anyway?) Their decision makes Archie and his teacher look all the worse morally.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #83
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Okay, I'll just say it... Archie fornicating with one of his teachers is messed up.

Archie and his teacher being possible witnesses to a murder and then agreeing to remain forever silent in order to protect their own tenuous reputations in the community is even more messed up. I hope the in-universe police come after them both with the full force of the fictional law.
I agree as well!!! If you know the comic history, that makes this even weirder. Miss Grundy was their teacher as kids and was even Fred's teacher when he was a boy. Seeing Miss Grundy as a young teacher is just not right and this relationship is even more messed up. I get they're trying to retell it in a different way but still. Give the audience SOME credit.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #84
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy85 View Post
I agree as well!!! If you know the comic history, that makes this even weirder. Miss Grundy was their teacher as kids and was even Fred's teacher when he was a boy. Seeing Miss Grundy as a young teacher is just not right and this relationship is even more messed up. I get they're trying to retell it in a different way but still. Give the audience SOME credit.
Oh, so "Grundy" is the old lady teacher from the comics? I couldn't remember her name, but I had no idea they had de-aged the classic character. Ewww...

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #85
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Yes, very awkward. I don't recall if we saw Mr. Weatherbee yet.

OT: I also just remembered Miss Grundy and Mr. Weatherbee were also part of that old made for TV movie about Archie and co.'s 15th gradiversary. Even crazier!!
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:58 PM   #86
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
Hard to judge from one episode, but Kevin may have been given a higher status in the cast than Reggie.

And it was really cool to see the smaller characters, like Dilton, and Moose. Even in brief glimpses, they seemed themselves. I look forward to seeing more of them.

I was surprised to see Archie and his music thing come up so quickly. Is he going to put together a band? I sincerely want to know. Maybe The Archies will have a rivalry with the Pussycats. I'm down.

My big complaint is that it seems one of my favorite dynamics won't be preserved. That Urkel/Carl kind of relationship between Archie and Mr. Lodge. It's brought me so many laughs, over the years, that it's hard to imagine a universe where Archie can't accidentally destroy Hiram's stuff.

But, overall, I think they've done a good job, and I'm intrigued enough to keep going.
1: Reggie's just a minor recurring character in the Berlanti-verse (yes this is a Berlanti show)

2: Moose was sooo not himself. Especially him coming out to Kevin like that.

3: Im not sure if "The Archies" will be a band just yet in this take. However there will be a 2 disk set released at the end of the season. One of the songs Archie sings and another of the Pussycats stuff.

4: As for Hiram Lodge. He hasn't been cast yet. But the writers have big plans for him in Season 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy85 View Post
Yes, very awkward. I don't recall if we saw Mr. Weatherbee yet.
As far as Im aware Miss Grundy and Coach Clayton are the only teachers we'll be seeing anything major of. Mr. Weatherbee, Prof, Flutesnoot, ect won't be major players. I don't think they've even cast Ole Waldo Weatherbe (or young Waldo).
Old 02-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #87
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Riverdale’s Jughead is no longer asexual, and that’s a problem for fans

http://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/1/26/...erdale-asexual

In Archie marries Veronica/Betty, they made Jughead married Midge. Freaking Midge!
The asexual hamburger lover now married with the jock’s girlfriend.
Wtf even they ruined my favourite asexual character forever! ��
She’s supposed to be with that jock Moose. And Jughead has never ever made a move on her nor did he show interest to any of girls in the series.
I hate them for this, so out of character.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch...he_Proposal.22
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #88
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post

In Archie marries Veronica/Betty, they made Jughead married Midge. Freaking Midge!
She’s supposed to be with that jock Moose. And Jughead has never ever made a move on her nor did he show interest to any of girls in the series.
I don't know... I could have sworn I read something with Jughead and Midge wayyy back.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:53 AM   #89
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:

In Archie marries Veronica/Betty, they made Jughead married Midge.
Jughead being Asexual is for the recent reboot. He was married to Midge (and boinking Ethel) in the Married Life stuff.

And in "Return To Riverdale" he's a divorced single father.

Besides it's an alternate timeline so it doesn't matter. My fave love interest for Jughead will always be January McAndrews (Archie's 30th century descendant) anyways.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #90
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Jughead's been asexual for, like, months. I think the asexuality angle makes sense and meshes with the past. But how quickly do TV shows have to adopt what happens in comics? Does Marvel Studios have to make Captain America a HYDRA agent in the movies, now? We know how comics are. They try absolutely everything. If a change sticks, it sticks. If it doesn't? Well, we got to explore something different, and Jughead will have a girlfriend next time around. Who knows?
Old 02-04-2017, 08:59 PM   #91
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
Well, we got to explore something different, and Jughead will have a girlfriend next time around. Who knows?
Jughead currently has a sorta thing with Sabrina ATM actually. It's one of those love/hate relationships. *lol*
Old 02-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #92
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Imo the whole asexual was just done as a favor meant to appease the pc craze of today which means non cannon. The lgbtabcxyz people need to find someone else to latch onto.
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #93
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Quote:

Jughead with Midge? They made him suicidal too?

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #94
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Every scene transition needs "Everything's Archie!"

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #95
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Anyway, I'm rewatching the 2 episodes again. I am OBSESSED with this series!

I mean wow perfect casting for the main characters!

Well maybe except Mr Weatherbee (who is black now like Morgan Freeman?) and Ms Grundy (but at least she always ties her hair into a bun which is somewhat her character trait. But still... ah well if Spiderman's Aunt May got de-aged, why can't Ms Grundy, eh?).

But anyway, perfect casting. I like all of the main characters and their flaws. I'd rank them like this:

1. Jughead
2. Betty
3. Veronica
4. Kevin Keller
5. Archie (lmao the lead main character is placed at 5th. That's what you get for sleeping with your middle-aged school teacher you jailbait hoe cow.)
6. Moose
7. Josie and the Pussycats
8. Reggie
Old 02-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #96
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Like Morgan Freeman?
Old 02-08-2017, 11:09 PM   #97
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Black, old and full of wisdom. Not loud, balding and obnoxious like in the comic.

And I love that Reggie mentioned Suicide Squad to Jughead, well more like taunting him. Reference!
Old 02-09-2017, 12:10 AM   #98
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
5. Archie (lmao the lead main character is placed at 5th. That's what you get for sleeping with your middle-aged school teacher you jailbait hoe cow.)
Middle aged?! She's in her mid/late 20s!!

This is not the first time Ms Grundy has been depicted as young. In the 1960's there was a proposed live action Archie series that never got passed the pilot stage. In that Miss Grundy was also young (30s-ish)...and Jughead had a thing for her. It was weird.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:34 AM   #99
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/eGRFACn.jpg

Anyway, I'm rewatching the 2 episodes again. I am OBSESSED with this series!

I mean wow perfect casting for the main characters!

Well maybe except Mr Weatherbee (who is black now like Morgan Freeman?)
I think I once figured they'd do that with Mr. Weatherbee. They could have even made him Indian. Changing ethnicities and races seems to be in fashion when studios do these shows and movies.

How recent is that comic you posted by the way?
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:59 AM   #100
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
Middle aged?! She's in her mid/late 20s!!

This is not the first time Ms Grundy has been depicted as young. In the 1960's there was a proposed live action Archie series that never got passed the pilot stage. In that Miss Grundy was also young (30s-ish)...and Jughead had a thing for her. It was weird.
I think pretty much any show about high school has some sort of hot teacher requirement. If they made up a teacher, people would ask why it wasn't a familiar character. They couldn't win.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote