The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

New Spawn movie in the works

Jason Blum and his Blumhouse Productions are teaming up with Todd McFarlane to develop a new movie based on the comic book icon's creation, Spawn.

McFarlane has written the first draft of the script and is set to direct the project, marking a rare foray for a comic creator into the director's chair.

McFarlane became a comics superstar and one of the industry's first artist-millionaires in the 1980s, thanks to his work on Amazing Spider-Man. He later was one of the founding artists of Image Comics with his creation, Spawn.

Spawn told of a black-ops agent who is betrayed and killed, his soul sent to hell for all the innocents he killed. While there, he makes a deal with a demon who allows him to return to the earthly plane and his wife. However, five years have now passed, and his wife has moved on, while he is a disfigured and superpowered spawn of hell.

The comic was adapted into a 1997 New Line horror-action movie that starred Michael Jai White, as well as a late-1990s HBO cartoon series.

McFarlane, who also became an entrepreneur with a high-end toy company, has been developing the new movie for some time and was shopping it in the spring, only recently bringing it to Blumhouse. The company is envisioning the new Spawn project as a low-budget horror movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...mhouse-1023407
Old 07-21-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'll believe it when I actually see something like a poster or teaser. McFarlane has told us "it's definitely happening this time, just wait till next year for more news" For over a decade now. Same with the new Spawn cartoon.

Don't get me wrong I'd love for it to happen and think there's tons of potential but so far we've gotten nowhere but promises for over a decade.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Hasn't he been saying this since the end of the HBO animated series, which would make it almost 20 years now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
The Deadman
Foot Elite

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spawn...w-film-a156820

Quote:
This year marks the 21st anniversary of the first Spawn film, and it looks like 2018 is the year when we’ll finally start seeing some significant progress on its successor.

Todd McFarlane recently spoke with AZCentral to discuss his upcoming panel at Ace City Comic-Con with the legendary Stan Lee. McFarlane also spoke on his breakout run on Amazing Spider-Man, Venom, and of course his Image Comics creation SPAWN. When asked about the status of the new film, which McFarlane wrote himself, he offered a quick update: “We just signed off on the script, and are going into budgeting. We're also having our casting meeting.”

As for the tone of the film, McFarlane added, “It will be dark and heavy, serious, R-rated. It won't be a superhero movie. I don't think most people would categorize it as that. It will be a supernatural thriller, like a lot of good creep movies.”

Though he had hinted at it in previous talks about Spawn, McFarlane confirms that the titular character will remain silent throughout the flick, and drops hints about who the central character will be if not Spawn himself:

I like to explain that it's my Jaws. Spawn doesn't say a word the entire movie, and it's the same way with Jaws. It's about the sheriff and the people, chasing the ghost. That's it...The lead role isn’t Spawn, the lead role is a cop, like Sheriff Brody from Jaws. I think we can hook a fairly significant actor that we want. Unlike a superhero movie, we wouldn't need an actor to put on prosthetic (makeup) or go to the gym. We just need him to act.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Hasn't he been saying this since the end of the HBO animated series, which would make it almost 20 years now?
Yep. I remember even right after that first movie, McFarlane was talking about developing one for eons. I remember at first he was talking, "It's going to be a lot of Sam and Twitch, Seven-style!"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I think the only way I'd be interested in a new Spawn movie is if I'd re-read the comics...and I really don't have much of a desire to do that again.
(I fear they haven't aged well, and I know for a fact that I haven't...so there's that.)

But...have fun, those who are looking forward to such a thing.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I knew it was just going to be another confirmation of the movie, but every time I see Spawn in the news I hope this time it'll be real.

Spawn is the only superhero movie I think I'd be excited if it were announced, too jaded on DC/Marvel.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm pretty indifferent to Spawn, or a Spawn movie. The first movie was horrific, and my memory of the comics only serve as an angry reminder for how quickly McFarlane himself "sold out" and ran away.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I think the only way I'd be interested in a new Spawn movie is if I'd re-read the comics...and I really don't have much of a desire to do that again.
I read copies of issues 1-110 or so through my library a couple of years ago. I ended up buying the first big hardcover volume. The first year's worth or so of the original comic is pure '90s cheese in the best possible way, especially with the Frank Miller, Dave Sim, and Alan Moore guest issues. It honestly reminds me of Mirage TMNT in some aspects.

I think if they were going to make a film version for today's audiences, they might do well to emulate the Brian Michael Bendis "Hellspawn" miniseries that treats him like more of a force of nature or a Grim Reaper type of character. Maybe they could give you bits and pieces of his origin throughout a tight, focused narrative that otherwise deals with the actual plot at hand. After they've established a viable interest in the character, they could expand the mythology in any way they want.

That HBO animated show is still probably the best single thing I've seen from that franchise, though--and I watched it in college, so there was no '90s nostalgia coloring my viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #10
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
So he wants to make a new Spawn movie, in which Spawn doesn't speak at all, and Spawn isn't the main character, he also said the movie isn't a superhero movie, but a supernatural thriller, there a lot of fans of those comics that are gonna be very disappointed by this.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #11
sdp
Megan Fox = April

If you only look at the comic run then yeah, but you don't think of the worse parts of DC/Marvel comics when wanting to make a movie, you take the things that worked.

Spawn has potential.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #12
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Jamie Foxx cast as Spawn. I didn't realize the budget was going to be so low for this ($10-$12 million)

http://deadline.com/2018/05/spawn-ja...mpression=true
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Jamie Foxx cast as Spawn. I didn't realize the budget was going to be so low for this ($10-$12 million)

http://deadline.com/2018/05/spawn-ja...mpression=true
I was really excited about this until I heard Jamie Foxx was being cast as Spawn... WTF? Has the casting director ever read a single issue of Spawn!?

May as well cast him as Blade too if we're just gonna start butchering all the remakes that would have to already be AMAZING to out-do the originals.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #14
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Comedians can pull off serious roles, besides Spawn is not the main character in the movie, based off what McFarlane has said over the years he'll be mostly in the shadows and it's going to be more of a Sam and Twitch movie which I think its awesome. For this very reason it might not need a very big budget. Spawn wears a mask and when he takes it off his face is burnt so I definitely think Jamie Foxx can pull it off.

After like 15 years of McFarlane saying it was happening I think it actually might be happening. It's going to be a very low budget movie that will barely feature Spawn and people will complain endlessly because of it before release but I don't know, I think it can be cool and better than the superhero cookiecutter stuff we have now.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Sounds like it's not happening.

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/spawn...farlane-vision
Old 10-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Hollywood is not sold on the idea of the movie being R rated. and it being a Superhero. Because by default they think all Superhero movies are PG-13.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Well obviously. Who's f*cking fault is that?!

Spoiler:
Marvel. Duh.

Luckily, Spawn sucks, so whatever.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm a little bit confused about the part where it has a 10-12 million dollar budget (as in, money already committed to the movie)... and now we're not sure it's happening? Did McFarlane get mugged?
Old 10-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #19
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Well obviously. Who's f*cking fault is that?!

Spoiler:
Marvel. Duh.

Luckily, Spawn sucks, so whatever.
But you have Superhero movies like Logan and Deadpool. R rated Superheroes movies that did really well.

Todd McFarlane is pitching this as a Horror Movie and not a Superhero movie. Hollywood Execs were thinking. Because Spawn is a Comic Book. that its a Superhero.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 10-05-2018 at 05:24 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

I agree that R-Rated comic book films SHOULD exist, but it's a certain company's direct fault that right now, Hollywood sees comic book films as "Silly sh*t for kids" and won't let anyone go outside the box.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote